Old 11-20-2007, 02:26 PM   #1
2006 F350 V10 Ext. Cab LB

1998 30' Excella 1000
Sherwood , Oregon
Axel & Wheel Bearings Work Done + Invoice

Hi,

We bought our trailer and tow vehicle about a year ago (1998 Excella 30' & 2006 F350 V10 4X4). After noticing our right front trailer tire was wearing a bit extra on the outside edge, I called our local (2 hr. drive south) Airstream dealer, Sutton RV in Eugene, OR. They recommended Kaiser Brake & Alignment, Inc. located a few blocks from their own shop. At Kaiser Brake & Alignment they were pleasant to deal with, prompt, and had the work completed & the trailer ready when promised. I couldn't tell that anything was different on the tow home, but the alignment problem wasn't noticeable prior to the work either. Time will tell, I guess.

Some of you on this thread seemed interested in associated costs for this kind of work, so I've included a scan of my invoice.

Best Regards,
Walt Weber
Attached Files
File Type: pdf AxelWork98Excell1000_30.pdf (381.6 KB, 255 views)

Old 11-20-2007, 04:20 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver1
Hi,

We bought our trailer and tow vehicle about a year ago (1998 Excella 30' & 2006 F350 V10 4X4). After noticing our right front trailer tire was wearing a bit extra on the outside edge, I called our local (2 hr. drive south) Airstream dealer, Sutton RV in Eugene, OR. They recommended Kaiser Brake & Alignment, Inc. located a few blocks from their own shop. At Kaiser Brake & Alignment they were pleasant to deal with, prompt, and had the work completed & the trailer ready when promised. I couldn't tell that anything was different on the tow home, but the alignment problem wasn't noticeable prior to the work either. Time will tell, I guess.

Some of you on this thread seemed interested in associated costs for this kind of work, so I've included a scan of my invoice.

Best Regards,
Walt Weber
Hi Walt.

I think you paid far more than what you should have been charged.

First of all, the axles "DO NOT" need to be removed from the trailer for alignment.

A tandem alignment at Airstream costs 3 hours labor.

A "Major brake" includes R & R of the wheels and hub and drums. The bearings are removed and cleaned. All the grease is removed from the hubs. The dust and dirt is removed from the backing plates and the hub and drums.

The shoes are sanded to remove any glazing. The surface of the drums and armature plate are also sanded to remove any glazing.

The adjuster springs should have been replaced. They should be replaced every ten years.

The bearings should be pressure packed, reinstalled along with new grease seals.

The hub and drums are then reinstalled, along with the tires and wheels.
Lastly, the brakes should be adjusted.

According to Henschen, and Airstream, the Caster specs call for 1/16 inch toe in, plus or minus 1/16 inch, and 3/4 degree positive Camber plus or minus 3/4 degrees (the top of the tire tilted away from the frame more than the bottom).

Your bill does not state any tow in for the left tires, but not any "after" measurements for any of the tires.

Your bill states the before measurements, in degrees, for the Camber, but not the after measurements.

They also make no comment about "balancing" the running gear.

For the amount of money they charged you, they should have treated two of you to the best dinner in town, with drinks included.

Total labor in hours, for aligning two axles, doing a "major" brake, plus a complete running gear balance should be no more that 6.5 hours. Parts extra of course.

They didn't do a "major" brake, nor did they do any balancing.

They didn't replace the shocks. If they did, you could add another 1 hour to the total labor.

For a brake and alignment shop not to balance the running gear, after all the other work they supposedly did, to me, is a dis-service to it's customers.

If I were you, I would check the axle mounting bolts to see if they were touched at all.

Andy

Old 11-20-2007, 05:43 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
Amazing isnt it? For a few hundred more they could have installed new axles.
Old 11-20-2007, 06:33 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Our local Airstream dealer, Holiday, in Albuquerque refuses to do any work on vintage trailers.
Old 11-20-2007, 07:30 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganglin
Has anyone ever had an alignment done on their axles. If so were you able to get a non Airstream dealer to do this. I've emailed my local dealer and left a phone message also (they have only been an A/S dealer for 3 or 4 years) and received no reply.

We plan to have new tires and shocks installed - balance as recommended on the forum - wanted to get the alignment done at the same time.

Thanks....
If you want your axles alined and done right you are close enough to Gommer's in Chambersburg Pa. They are a truck axle shop.

You can go to Jackson and after they do nothing you can ask them and they will send you to Gommer's. At least that is what they did for me.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote