Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-16-2014, 02:55 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2015 30' International
2009 27' FB International
2007 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Greensboro , North Carolina
Axle Alignment

As this was the only axle alignment thread I could find, I thought I would ask my question here:

My 2015 30 RB Serenity with about 3200 miles of towing so far.

Axle alignment:
Left (Driver's right) axle centers 2' - 8 7/8"

Right (Driver's left) axle centers 2' - 9 1/8"

Or, a full 1/4" difference which in alignment terms is huge! I noticed the trailer tends to be slightly in a Yaw to the driver's right when towing and I would like guidance in what to do.

Can my dealer, Out of Doors Mart, Colfax, NC properly align these or do I need to seek out an independent truck alignment service? Is this covered under warranty?

Any advice on this topic is appreciated.
AIR #31871 KQ3H

www.fantinesvoice.com
Msmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 11:52 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
I would think it should be covered under warrantee. They don't go out of alignment but may be built out of alignment. That is a warrantee issue in my opinion.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 05:57 AM   #3
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
WArrrrranteeeee
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 11:38 AM   #4
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Msmoto View Post
As this was the only axle alignment thread I could find, I thought I would ask my question here:

My 2015 30 RB Serenity with about 3200 miles of towing so far.

Axle alignment:
Left (Driver's right) axle centers 2' - 8 7/8"

Right (Driver's left) axle centers 2' - 9 1/8"

Or, a full 1/4" difference which in alignment terms is huge! I noticed the trailer tends to be slightly in a Yaw to the driver's right when towing and I would like guidance in what to do.

Can my dealer, Out of Doors Mart, Colfax, NC properly align these or do I need to seek out an independent truck alignment service? Is this covered under warranty?ack post, to the most lower part of the axle mounting plate

Any advice on this topic is appreciated.
Most likely the holes in one of the axle mounting plates is off.

When that dimension is the same, the trailer will tow correctly.

But, I would suggest that you measure from the backside center of the jack post
to the most forward lower part of the axle mounting plate. That dimension should be exactly the same. If not, then the trailer will tow dog leg.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 02:00 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2019 23' International
La Habra , California
I'm going to do that Andy because our 2012 20 Flying Cloud right or curb side tire is wearing on the outside outer edge. Can you recommend someone in So Cal? I'm in Orange County
Thx

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 09-17-2014, 02:16 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
On my trailer where the axles fit into the notch in the frame there they sit regardless of where the mount bolts are. The bolt placement is academic.

My axel alignment was just fine as they came.

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 06:32 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2015 30' International
2009 27' FB International
2007 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Greensboro , North Carolina
Question

Well, Airstream says alignment is not a warranty item.. And, this is understandable as with 3200 miles on it, there is not really a way to positively identify if it was that way at delivery or if some huge impact has knocked things out of line….although one would expect some evidence of this to be present.

Initial measurements, to be repeated, suggest the passenger side front wheel of the trailer has tow-in. However, i am going to measure from the rear of the jack post center, up front, to the axle mounting plates, the inner edge of the wheels, and another point which will identify an unusual dimension. I will also consult again with some experts in the local area, of which we have many as there are a lot of trucking companies in the area, and most likely have the axles aligned by a competent alignment shop.

I am estimating when going down the road, the rear of the trailer is out by possibly one or two inches. When pulling in the past, my 27 FB, i remember being able to see about the same on both sides of the trailer via the mirrors. On my new one, I see the driver's side well, but cannot see the passenger side of the trailer no matter how I lean to look in the mirrors.

More to come on the alignment saga…. and thanks for the help….
AIR #31871 KQ3H

www.fantinesvoice.com
Msmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 12:31 PM   #8
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by subfan1 View Post
I'm going to do that Andy because our 2012 20 Flying Cloud right or curb side tire is wearing on the outside outer edge. Can you recommend someone in So Cal? I'm in Orange County
Thx

C & g in Bellflower.

Aloha

Andy
Old 09-18-2014, 12:35 PM   #9
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Morgan View Post
On my trailer where the axles fit into the notch in the frame there they sit regardless of where the mount bolts are. The bolt placement is academic.

My axel alignment was just fine as they came.
The square hole has nothing to do with the alignment.

The bolt holes are the key and have been since 1962.

In fact, the square notch is now larger than the axle tube.

Andy
Old 09-18-2014, 07:23 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
On my trailer the square slot placed the axles. It was a struggle getting the old axles out.

Not saying that my trailer is typical, but the slot determined placement.

There is a caveat on my trailer because I raised it three inches, but I used the slots for placement.

Right or wrong, I took a 3000 mile plus round trip after installing axles and it pulls straight and the tires are wearing right.

Old 10-01-2014, 09:50 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2019 23' International
La Habra , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
C & g in Bellflower.

Aloha

Andy

Thanks for the recommendation Andy, I made an appt with them today and they discovered the left tire was off by a half inch (toe out) and the right side was an 1/8 of an inch off. (Camber was off)
I saw how they did it from afar, very interesting!

Old 04-06-2015, 01:07 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
Springfield , South Carolina
Just wondering are you seeing bad tire wear?

I have a small trailer that was home made I got on Craig's List for haulin fuel cans on so they would not be in vehicle and the axles were free hand welded in a piece of U channel and you I don't need anything to see they are out.

The tires are getting eaten up as well though it tows very nicely.

When I get back I am going to fab my own axle as I have the spindles and relocate it so I can have the axle directly under a 55 gal drum.

I was at a camp ground in Charleston a couple years ago and this lady and her dog were nearby. She had a pop up tent camper and I looked at her rig as I drove by on bike and saw there was something bad wrong with the wear pattern and she didn't realize you were supposed to get a lot more than 3000 miles on a set of tires.

I never heard the rest of the story as they left on the way to a local dealer who sold that unit and then heading to Virginia.
Hummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 04:59 AM   #13
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
I have a question; how did you derive these measurements? I ask because I have not heard it said.
I am going to be unpopular, but you were told to measure incorrectly. You do not go from the back side of the jack stand to the bracket on the axle. That is not going to give you a correct measurement. You don't even want to measure to axle tube. You need to measure from the jack stand to the center of the spindle. If the bracket shifts ever so slightly during stamping, bending, folding or attaching, you are off. On the back side of the torsion arm is a cone shaped hole, dead center of the spindle. Measure to there. This is a two person job. You need a very stiff, heavy tape measure. I suggest a 30', The tape must be very straight and tight. Your measurements must be EXACTLY the same, not even 1/16" off. I do a few axle swaps every month and only once was it self aligned correctly without effort.
In your search you will find places offering alignment of trailers. They will put your rig on a rack and pull and bend the axle into alignment. I would avoid this at all costs. Out of Doors Mart should be able to drop your axle and shift the holes forward or backwards on one side to bring it (back) into alignment. I am surprised Airstream does not stand behind their work. I guess when you sell two for every one you can build you do not have to stand behind things for very long. If one of my customers came to me, even after 5 years of running on one of my axles, and their axle was out of alignment, I would fix it without charge. Reputation does not last long if you put out garbage.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 08:13 AM   #14
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
You want to measure from the ball coupler and not the jack as it can be off. You can use a plumb bob from center of the ball area of the coupler to the ground.
Old 04-06-2015, 08:16 AM   #15
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Here is some pics.

Trailer Tire Problems & Tips
Old 04-06-2015, 08:54 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Axle Alignment

The most important thing regarding axle alignment is camber, which is generally built in when the axle is built...

Then that all trailer wheels run true to one another....(critical)

Then the measurement from the ball socket to the spindle center. This measurement is not near as critical as the first two, the longer the trailer the more this is so.

This is just something I have picked up over many years of dealing with lots of trailers.

1/2 Ton 4WD Truck, 72 Sovereign Hensley Arrow

Old 04-06-2015, 10:04 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
When attempting to measure the center of 2 holes you should not do that at the center because it is a subjective measurement. Measure from a fixed point such as the rearward outer rim edge of one axle to the rearward outer rim edge of the other axle. these are repeatable fixed points.

Another quick way to check alignment is to place a straight edge, I use an 8 ft florescent light bulb on the edge of the tires at the center of the axles. The bulb should touch all tires or be no more than 1/16 off. This assumes you have the same tire size and type on that side.

If your axles are in fact out DO NOT take the trailer to an Airstream dealer as they do not have the capacity to do this type of work. Find a truck axle shop as the axles have to be BENT to correct misalignment.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 04:55 AM   #18
3 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
Springfield , South Carolina
Frank just told you what a guy at the trailer supply place told me when I got the 8000 axle for my utility trailer except he said from of trailer hitch as iet won't move. I believe that was the first torsion bar axle I ever touched.

It was easier for me because I have a gantry in my shop I made and I could pick the whole trailer up and turn it over and mount it on jack stands. At any rate he told me basically the same thing Frank just said on aligning the center of the spindles. It was time consuming tweaking the axle house and taping it hammer to get it right on but I did and clamped it down and measured again before I attached it and I could not ask for a truer towing trailer.
Hummer is offline   Reply With Quote