Old 04-06-2015, 08:16 AM   #15
Rivet Master
Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Here is some pics.

Trailer Tire Problems & Tips

The higher your expectations the fewer your options.
r carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 08:54 AM   #16
Agent 86
1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Axle Alignment

The most important thing regarding axle alignment is camber, which is generally built in when the axle is built...

Then that all trailer wheels run true to one another....(critical)

Then the measurement from the ball socket to the spindle center. This measurement is not near as critical as the first two, the longer the trailer the more this is so.

This is just something I have picked up over many years of dealing with lots of trailers.

1/2 Ton 4WD Truck, 72 Sovereign Hensley Arrow

The fact that I am opinionated does not presuppose that I am wrong......

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 10:04 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
When attempting to measure the center of 2 holes you should not do that at the center because it is a subjective measurement. Measure from a fixed point such as the rearward outer rim edge of one axle to the rearward outer rim edge of the other axle. these are repeatable fixed points.

Another quick way to check alignment is to place a straight edge, I use an 8 ft florescent light bulb on the edge of the tires at the center of the axles. The bulb should touch all tires or be no more than 1/16 off. This assumes you have the same tire size and type on that side.

If your axles are in fact out DO NOT take the trailer to an Airstream dealer as they do not have the capacity to do this type of work. Find a truck axle shop as the axles have to be BENT to correct misalignment.
2004 Excursion 4x4
1991 34 ft. Excella +220,000 miles, new laminated flooring, new upholstery, new 3200 lbs axles

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 04:55 AM   #18
3 Rivet Member
1976 31' Sovereign
Springfield , South Carolina
Frank just told you what a guy at the trailer supply place told me when I got the 8000 axle for my utility trailer except he said from of trailer hitch as iet won't move. I believe that was the first torsion bar axle I ever touched.

It was easier for me because I have a gantry in my shop I made and I could pick the whole trailer up and turn it over and mount it on jack stands. At any rate he told me basically the same thing Frank just said on aligning the center of the spindles. It was time consuming tweaking the axle house and taping it hammer to get it right on but I did and clamped it down and measured again before I attached it and I could not ask for a truer towing trailer.

Hummer is offline   Reply With Quote