Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-30-2012, 10:41 AM   #1

1961 24' Tradewind
Burlington , Vermont
Axis Axle Problems?

HI,

I've used a 3,500lb Axis on a 66 Caravel and loved it so I put a 5K Axis on my rebuilt 61 Tradewind. After about 10k I noticed one tire was waring the inside tread off. Should have called the co but thought it was the bias tires. Shifted to radials and didn't travel much for 2 yrs, but this year during a trip it is still wearing weird. Sent pics to Axis and turns out the axle is bent. Must have been out of the factory that way but you wouldn't notice because it is only about 1/8" difference in clearance top & bottom. By this time the warranty is gone but before I invest in a new one just wondering if anyone else has had this problem with new Axis axles? Tks.
Mica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 12:20 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mica View Post
HI,

I've used a 3,500lb Axis on a 66 Caravel and loved it so I put a 5K Axis on my rebuilt 61 Tradewind. After about 10k I noticed one tire was waring the inside tread off. Should have called the co but thought it was the bias tires. Shifted to radials and didn't travel much for 2 yrs, but this year during a trip it is still wearing weird. Sent pics to Axis and turns out the axle is bent. Must have been out of the factory that way but you wouldn't notice because it is only about 1/8" difference in clearance top & bottom. By this time the warranty is gone but before I invest in a new one just wondering if anyone else has had this problem with new Axis axles? Tks.
In defense of every manufacturer of anything that must be shipped via motor freight, they cannot be held responsible for anything, once the freight company accepts the product in good condition, which they do when they sign for it.

All torsion axles tubes are bent, so to speak, since that is how they are aligned.

I would suggest that you check the complete alignment of the axle, both in exactly where it's mounted, and within itself.

Out of alignment axles, can be easily realigned to original specs. Not many places can do it, but it is done.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 07:08 PM   #3

1961 24' Tradewind
Burlington , Vermont
Axis Axle Problems

Thanks Andy,

It may have been damaged in shipping - it is not an alignment problem - the company spokesman looked at the pictures I sent and said that the, "...inner bar that presses into the tube is bent. the gap at the bottom is larger than the gap at the top." Apparently even 1/16th difference will result in wear. I wore all the tread of the inside half of the SS tire in 10k miles. Anyhow, guess it is a new axle but I was wondering how rare this is given the durability of the original axels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
In defense of every manufacturer of anything that must be shipped via motor freight, they cannot be held responsible for anything, once the freight company accepts the product in good condition, which they do when they sign for it.

All torsion axles tubes are bent, so to speak, since that is how they are aligned.

I would suggest that you check the complete alignment of the axle, both in exactly where it's mounted, and within itself.

Out of alignment axles, can be easily realigned to original specs. Not many places can do it, but it is done.

Andy
Mica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 07:27 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1983 27' Excella
Walnut Grove/Laguna Woods , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Foster
As Andy says, have the alignment checked at a shop that does trailer axles. I replaced the axles on both of our Airstreams. They were from two different manufacturers, and both trailers were out of alignment and had odd tire wear with the new axles. The shop will have to have the old style alignment pit rather than a "drive on" setup. A good shop will back the trailer onto the alignment equipment and align the axle to the tongue, so that the trailer goes straight behind the tow vehicle. On a duel axle trailer, they will align the front axle to the tongue, then align the rear axle to the front axle, again making the trailer tow straight behind the tow vehicle.

Get them checked and aligned if necessary.
Past President, El Camino Real Unit WBCCI#6620
Street Rod Builder (see avatar)
Kite flier (check out links below)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bp3nuNtlZcA&t=331s
https://www.youtube.com/my_videos?feature=mhee
Jim Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 04:17 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2020 30' Classic
Derwood , Maryland
If close enough, take a trip over to the Mothership and see if the can do it for a small,price - factory perfect...
JFScheck is offline   Reply With Quote