Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Axles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-23-2008, 12:14 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1963 24' Tradewind
Anderson / Sun City , Indiana / Arizona
AS Factory installed Henschens

I called the Airstream Service Center at Jackson Center to price a Henschen axle for my 1963 Tradewind.

They quoted me $2000.00v complete.

Inland Rv's price is +/- $800.00 for the comlete axle. Andy says that it should only take about 2 hours to install.

Even though I am capable of installing the axle, I just don't want to.

$1200.00 labor is rediculous. Andy, can you provide information where I can have them installed by a reputable dealer for a reasonable price?

I live near Indianapolis, IN (2 hours from Jackson Center, OH). I will buy Henschen axles from Inland RV if I can find a dealer to install them without robbing me blind. Otherwise, it is a Dexter for about $1200.00 installed.

Mike Brumback
WBCC #1200
1963 Tradewind
Grand Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 02:25 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grand Master View Post
I called the Airstream Service Center at Jackson Center to price a Henschen axle for my 1963 Tradewind.

They quoted me $2000.00v complete.

Inland Rv's price is +/- $800.00 for the comlete axle. Andy says that it should only take about 2 hours to install.

Even though I am capable of installing the axle, I just don't want to.

$1200.00 labor is rediculous. Andy, can you provide information where I can have them installed by a reputable dealer for a reasonable price?

I live near Indianapolis, IN (2 hours from Jackson Center, OH). I will buy Henschen axles from Inland RV if I can find a dealer to install them without robbing me blind. Otherwise, it is a Dexter for about $1200.00 installed.

Mike Brumback
WBCC #1200
1963 Tradewind
Mike.

Call Dave Schumann at Airstream. He is the parts and service director.

Tell him what you want to do and ask him for a positive labor quote.

Henschen would delivery that single axle to Airstream, or Airstream would pick it up from Henschen, or, you can pick it up at Henschen, take it to Airstream, less than a 3 minute drive, and have them install it.

This has been done numerous times, with no problems, ever.

The only add-on would be a pair of shocks. But you can provide those NAPA shocks yourself.

I will not be back in my office until the 26th, but Airstream will be closed until December 1st.

I will call Dave myself on Dec 1, and see if I can set this up for you.

Please PM me your contact phone number, and I will call you back with the information, on Dec 1st.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 02:37 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
I'm not saying anything about Dexter vs Henshen, except price. It has already been discussed ad nauseum. FYI, I got my #10 Dexter axles last year for about $350 each plus about $100 total for shipping. That was a lot cheaper than the closest Dexter dealer, and also shipped in a couple of weeks rather than months from the local dealer. If you are going with #11s as I remember the price is about $100 each more. Danny Gilbreath at the factory was knowledgeable and helpful.
Old 11-23-2008, 02:54 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

I know Chris Burch is not in Service at the factory any longer .Who did you speak with about the pricing? Sounds high unless they thought there was some frame modifications,maybe a new guy issue.
lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 03:30 PM   #5
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumatic View Post
I'm not saying anything about Dexter vs Henshen, except price. It has already been discussed ad nauseum. FYI, I got my #10 Dexter axles last year for about $350 each plus about $100 total for shipping. That was a lot cheaper than the closest Dexter dealer, and also shipped in a couple of weeks rather than months from the local dealer. If you are going with #11s as I remember the price is about $100 each more. Danny Gilbreath at the factory was knowledgeable and helpful.
Then there is the issue of dropping from 12 inch to 10 inch brakes.

Then, for some strange reason, reports don't state the modifications that are necessary, for installation.

No mention is made that a starting angle of 35 degrees is not available from Dexter.

Then there is the issue of limited weight ratings, that are many times far above what should be used.

An increase of more than 10 to 12 percent is asking for trouble via a rough ride for the trailer. Couple that with over hitching, and the problems quickly start. Of course adding to that, unbalanced running gear further adds to the problems.

For reasons unknown, Dexter has closed it's California plant.

But, if you don't mind the less than the best brakes and starting angle, along with have to make modifications, then the Dexter is cheaper to acquire.

Strange though, many Dexter axles are being replaced with Henschens, on Airstreams that are less than 3 years old. The usual reason, as reported to us, is rubber rod failures.

Some owners, even in warranty, have decide to replace the failed Dexters with Henschens, through us as well as some other Airstream dealers.

As always, it's the buyers choice.

And we all know, cheaper is usually not the better choice, when sacrifices and compromises must be made, to get the cheaper price. That holds true for many many products in our lives.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 03:35 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1963 24' Tradewind
Anderson / Sun City , Indiana / Arizona
Thanks Andy. From your posts about the charges at your dealership, I was expecting $300.00 labor +/-.

My cell phone is 765-744-0424

Mike Brumback
WBCC #1200
2514 Highland Rd.
Anderson, IN 46012
1963 Tradewind (serial # 243D355)
Restored 2008
Grand Master is offline   Reply With Quote