Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-26-2004, 06:01 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

Many thanks Andy, uwe, Rog:
Andy, I think I will take the advice offered by you and uwe and raise the trailer using the axle mounting plates. Andy, back to my question - Is it worthwhile to unload the axles of an Airstream that sets unused for 10-11 month periods? Your thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks again. Jeff
pjlingl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2004, 08:41 AM   #22
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
pjlingl.

Your question raises two issues.

The first being "how long can your Airstream trailer be parked, without causing the axle rubber rods to take a set?"

To my knowledge, no one has any data to support any specific time other than "long term." How long is too long? No one knows, other than it does take more than a few months, perhaps years.

However, at this point is a well known fact, that 1974 and prior axles have a significant failure rate, due to the composition of the rubber rods. That composition was changed in mid 1974, and has more than proved to be OK. However, any rubber can and does take a "set," if put under a long term pressure without any periods of relaxation. Simply put, the rubber must be exercised once in a while.

The second being, "should weight be removed from the axle or axles on a long term parked Airstream trailer?"

To be absolutely safe, I would suggest that if the trailer will not move for 6 months or more, a large amount of weight should be removed from the axles. I base that on "it's always better to be safe, than sorry," as well as it won't hurt a thing.

I also wish to say that Henschen as well as Airstream has no data to support my suggestion.

Therefore to any and all that may have any interest in this matter, the above comments are solely mine and is passed along to those that might have a concern, purely as a possible preventive measure.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2004, 01:08 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member

Andy:
Thanks for your opinion. I am going with your suggestions on this and it is much appreciated. Jeff
pjlingl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2004, 10:59 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
Send a message via AIM to pinkflamingoes Send a message via Yahoo to pinkflamingoes
if our axles are bad, what should we do?

I'm reading up on axles (thanks, Andy at Inland RV for the Dura-Torque article) and I think I finally get the concept. We are traveling to Wisconsin in June from California to pick up our 1967 Tradewind double axle. We definitely are going to get new tires and repack the bearings. My husband is driving there, doing the fixing up and getting it towable, then home.

But what if he get out there and the axles are really bad, and need replacing right there and then? I know about the few inches above the wheel being visible meaning the axles are probably OK. We can do the axle replacement financially, but...is there a place we can take it out that way, a way to get the right new axles to the location in WI, or any ideas someone can recommend?

Go to my web site for tire pictures, http://home.alamedanet.net/~ingrid/

ingrid
1967 24' Tradewind #19104 ~ Forums #4449
pinkflamingoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2004, 08:07 AM   #25
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Ingrid,
Where in Wisconsin? Your choices depend a little on what part of the state. Wisconsin is the truckin capital of the midwest. Everyone there drives an 18 wheeler. You might even get someone to carry your little acquisition to california on a flatbed if the axles are really bad.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2004, 08:16 AM   #26
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
1964 26' Overlander
1977 25' Tradewind
Eastern , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkflamingoes
But what if he get out there and the axles are really bad, and need replacing right there and then? I know about the few inches above the wheel being visible meaning the axles are probably OK. We can do the axle replacement financially, but...is there a place we can take it out that way, a way to get the right new axles to the location in WI, or any ideas someone can recommend?
I do not believe there is a "there and then" with Duratorque axles. I just replaced mine and they have to be ordered. They are not stocked, mine took 5 weeks with delivery from Ohio to Washington.
Sorry
Old 05-06-2004, 08:49 AM   #27
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Ingrid.

Each and every "replacement" axle must be special ordered, and made "to specs."

In that way, we can custom design it for your individual needs along with taking into consideration what type tow vehicle you have.

Weight ratings are usually increased along with starting angles changed as well.

We will be shortly stocking some of the more popular sizes, but that still will not alter the shipping issue.

We are also working with Henschen to likewise stock a couple of sizes, so they could be immediately be shipped from Ohio as well as California, depending on where the owner lives.

A new word of caution however.

There is a known shortage of certain types of steel along with certain sizes. Henschen, in spite of their huge orders in an attempt to avoid the problem, recently ran out of a tube size. Needless to say, that caused some delays in shipment.

Steel prices have also been rising almost as often as the sun. Henschen has already established a surcharge for all deliveries. We will absorb that cost increase as long as we possibly can. At this point it's almost 10 percent. If it becomes much larger, we will be forced to pass it on.

Andy
Old 05-06-2004, 09:46 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2005 28' International CCD
Pagosa Springs , Colorado
Ingrid, since the expense is so high on these, I'd suggest getting a second opinion/inspection on the axles before ordering/committing. I was just at my local Airstream Service center yesterday (getting bearings packed) and they replace axles but the manager said he gets several customers coming to him thinking they need axles based on what they read on this site. I discussed some of the "rules of thumb" discussed here and he agreed that in some cases it holds up, in other cases it's more "hype and lore" started on the internet that probably ends up selling axles but costs AirStreamers more. Bottom line is to get a couple of hands on examinations and then compare stories to see if someone is pushing axles.

Tin Hut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2004, 10:30 AM   #29
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
Send a message via AIM to pinkflamingoes Send a message via Yahoo to pinkflamingoes
whew!

Just traded emails with the owner on the axle issue, he says they look pretty good and is going to send pictures. Looks like if they were really bad and it wasn't towable on those axles, we'd put them on a truck as suggested.

How would I go about finding someone to tow it on a flatbed-type of thing? My husband is so swamped with work (not complaining!), it just might be cheaper to have it hauled.

i.

ingrid
1967 24' Tradewind #19104 ~ Forums #4449
pinkflamingoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2004, 03:40 PM   #30
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Hey Guys,
I just came back from InlandRV, picked up my trailer from getting the running gear balanced and the bearings/brakes adjusted. I actually got to watch Andy's technician do the balance on my hubs/wheels. Amazing how out of balance these hubs were. Mind you the axles are only about a year old. So now things should be runnig smooth and safe for a while. Andy suggests 10000miles or once a year, whichever comes first.
It feels good to know that the few moving parts of this bucket of rivets are now in perfect running condition.
But to get to the point:
While strolling through Andy's silver toyshop, I saw several trailers with axle work in progress, and a good handful worth of trailer axles waiting to go to the recycler. All of them were complete junk, even off the trailer you cold see the torsion arm angle going way up, the wrong way. Looking on ebay and checking the pictures, I can tell that most have marginal axles, if not worn out axles. All the trailers I looked at pesonally recenty, with one exception, had bad axles. It just so happens that that is one of the main problems with trailers of this age. So, I must say that although many of the trailers might be marginal, they will need axles once you start loading and using them.
There are 3 scenarios, in my opinion:
Axles definitely shot, low rider look, torsion arms pointing up with trailer unloaded. Axles should be replaced, unsprung trailer this size not safe to tow, will cause body and/or frame damage.
Axles marginal, torsion arms parallel when unloaded - owner discretion determines axle replacements, or "wait for the tax return money", or not load heavily until new axles can be installed. ( that's where mine were when I bought the trailer)
Axles good, torsion arms point down, slight to moderate deflection when fully loaded - no worries!
I do agree whole heartedly that when you don't know how to check axles, go and seek professional advice before plunking down big bills. Trouble in the RV and trailer world is that it seems hard to find people that know the difference between an Airstream and a boat trailer. Which is one of the reasons that there are so many "opinions" and so few" facts".
Old 05-06-2004, 08:00 PM   #31
4 Rivet Member

1961 26' Overlander
Gabriola Island , British Columbia
Are my axles bad?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	axles.jpg
Views:	276
Size:	65.8 KB
ID:	6453  
greg176 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2004, 08:18 PM   #32
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
They look fine.............

Except for the minor crack in the midpoint of the axle tube itself, all they need is a coat of paint, fix that crack and you should be good to go
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2004, 08:34 PM   #33
2 Rivet Member

San Antonio, TX
Axle capacity on '59

..looking for some advice. I'm trying to decide whether to upgrade from a 3500lb axle to something higher (like 5200#) on my '59 Flying Cloud, which has leaf springs (not the duratorque setup).

I made the effort to weigh both my tow vehicle separately (4460lbs) and the trailer with tow vehicle (8040lbs) for a difference of 3580lbs. The reading on the weigh-in with the trailer for the third axle (trailer) was 3240lbs. Both these readings were taken with the trailer and vehicle mostly empty.

Since then I have added probably a couple hundred pounds in materials as I upgrade/renovate the trailer, and recently an airconditioner which weighs about 105. I figure this puts me in the 3800 range before adding people, food, water, etc.

I assume from what I have read on the forum that I have a 3500# axle. Does this mean I should upgrade? Is there anything between 3500# and 5200# available? Would I just need a new axle/hub or the whole set-up (with drum/brake and leaf springs).

Any advice?

Thanks,

John Lawrence
San Antonio, TX
jlawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2004, 09:03 PM   #34
4 Rivet Member

1961 26' Overlander
Gabriola Island , British Columbia
Try this thread
http://www.airforums.com/forum...t=axle+upgrade
greg176 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2004, 09:11 PM   #35
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
John,
Sounds like you are going down the same track I did. I'm adding A/C, and a greywater tank.

I purchased a new Dexter axle, loaded backing plates, and brake hubs for my '59 Tradewind. I don't remember the exact cost, but it was probably around $300.

I have a couple of cautions:

1. If you go with a new axle and drums, the clearance for your shock absorbers will be very tight. I moved the shocks inside of the frame, and fabricated some special brackets for the shocks.

2. I added a leaf to the spring pack to allow for the additional weight. You might decide not to do this. I'm not sure the benefit of more height and wheel well clearance is worth the investment. I took the springs to a spring shop and had the original springs reworked. The original springs are 2" wide and 36" long, which is a custom size.

Overall, I'm happy with the setup, although I haven't had it on the road yet. My biggest concern is that the added leaf will cause a slightly stiffer ride unless I load the trailer to near it's new weight rating.

I did a lot of calculations of spring rates, and detailed the whole thing on autocad to make sure the tires, shocks, and axle would clear the wheel wells and frame. If you need more information, I'll be glad to send more. You can see some of the pictures in my photoalbum.

Good luck and best wishes.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	shocks 001.jpg
Views:	259
Size:	59.3 KB
ID:	6458  
Old 05-07-2004, 06:00 AM   #36
2 Rivet Member

San Antonio, TX
New axle discussion

That looks awesome. Unfortunately, I don't have the shell or belly off (and hadn't planned on it.) Do you think it is possible to do this kind of work without removing the belly? (or shell for that matter...)

Thanks,

John.
jlawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2004, 06:43 AM   #37
2 Rivet Member

axles, not rocket science

Back to the part about getting opinions on the shape of your axles, my mechanical ability extends to changing my oil and other, very simple tasks. But I got under my Trade Wind and it was obvious that my axles are shot: even for a mechanically challenged person like me, I could relate those torsion arms to my own arm, and see that, pointing upward, they are at the absolute end of their travel, no bounce or cushion left to give.

So in my humble, untutored, new-experience opinion, quit hauling your compromised rig from shop to shop for opinions and roll underneath it. Those torsion arms tell it all.

Connie
Penguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2004, 06:50 AM   #38
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
John,

The only difficulty doing this "shell on" is taking the measurements needed to order the axle. You would also need to cut holes in the belly pan if you decide to move the shocks inside the frame. Doesn't show in the picture above, but I have since added a crossbrace inside of the shocks to frame the opening for the bellyskin cut-outs.

I have the shell off for floor replacement and frame repair. You could certainly do an axle replacement without taking the bellypan off.
Old 05-07-2004, 08:37 AM   #39
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Greg176

Nothing Super Glue couldn't handle, in just a few seconds.

Save the paint. It pollutes.

Andy

Old 05-07-2004, 08:50 AM   #40
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
The only problem that I see with the Markdoane installation, is that a hole will be necessary in the otherwise enclosed underbelly, to make room for the shocks and their movement. Otherwise, it looks good.

Shocks are normally within the wheel well, and not inside of the main frame.

Any axle rating dictates it's maximum weight carrying capacity. How that axle is attached to the frame, dictates the ride from very soft to very rigid.

A simple axle leaf spring installation is very basic. Having a torsion type suspension system is very different. The ride is dictated by the rating of the axle along with the weight that will be carried by that axle. As an example, a 5000 pound torsion type axle will certainly provide a very rough ride, if it's only carrying 2500 to 3000 pounds. On the other hand a 3500 pound torsion axle that is carrying 4000 to 5000 pounds will bottom out, causing extreme shock to the frame and shell.

Therefore, all torsion axles must be rated for the job intended. A rating too high or too lower, will result in long term damage of one sort or another.

Andy