Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 02-19-2008, 08:41 AM   #15
Moderator dude
 
Action's Avatar

 
1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 6,069
Images: 13
The rear axle tube bend was designed into the axle tube. The front axle tube should have a similar bend.

The rest of the axle riding charistics look good. And 30+ years for a torsion axle is a good amount of time. Take your trailer out frequently this will flex the rubber rods inside the axle and be good for extending the life of the rods that are the springs in the axles.

Nice looking trailer on the outside.

>>>>>>>>>>>Action
__________________

__________________
1966 Mercury Park Lane 4 DR Breezeway 410 4V, C-6, 2.80 - Streamless.
1966 Lincoln 4 door Convertible 462 4V 1971 Ford LTD Convertible 429 4V Phoenix ~ Yeah it's hot however it's a dry heat!
Action is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 02:48 PM   #16
Rivet Master
 
adonh's Avatar

 
1976 31' Sovereign
Missouri City , Texas
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 1,233
Images: 1
Blog Entries: 6
I have the A/S over at Bob Jones RV here in Houston for some other minor issues and they are going to give me their opinion on the axles.

Don
__________________

__________________
adonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 06:26 PM   #17
Rivet Master
 
Lumatic's Avatar

 
1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 6,642
Images: 16
Blog Entries: 1
Divine Axelvention

Quote:
Originally Posted by adonh
The angel on the spindle arm is still slightly pointed down on both.
I would like an axle angel please. Where can I get one?
__________________
Sail on silver girl. Sail on by. Your time has come to shine.
Lumatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 02:54 PM   #18
Rivet Master
 
adonh's Avatar

 
1976 31' Sovereign
Missouri City , Texas
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 1,233
Images: 1
Blog Entries: 6
Theres still life in these old axles

Just spoke to Chris Jones at Bob Jones RV and they feel the axles are still good on my 1976 31' Sovereign. So for now I am going to have the bearings and brakes checked and check the balance on my tires and check this again next year. When I do replace them Chris recommends the Henschen axle. So Andy I am starting to save my now so that I will be ready.

Don Hardman
__________________
adonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 05:24 PM   #19
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer
 
Inland RV Center, In's Avatar
 
Corona , California
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 16,499
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by adonh
Just spoke to Chris Jones at Bob Jones RV and they feel the axles are still good on my 1976 31' Sovereign. So for now I am going to have the bearings and brakes checked and check the balance on my tires and check this again next year. When I do replace them Chris recommends the Henschen axle. So Andy I am starting to save my now so that I will be ready.

Don Hardman
Don.

Please have Chris check the tire drop.

Have him jack up one side of the trailer, and see how much "more" the tire drops, until it's off the ground.

It should drop about 2 to 3 inches.

If not, then the rubber rods have solidified, which will give the trailer a rough ride.

Generally speaking, if a load has been placed on a torsion axle, for several years, but has not been exercized, then the rubber rods can solidify.

There are two tests. In your case, there is plenty of tire above the wheel. So your axles are OK there. But the tires must also drop when the trailer is lifted off the ground on one side. If they do drop that 2 to 3 inches then your axles are in very good shape.

If they only drop an inch or less, then the rubber rods have solidified, making the axle give the trailer a rough ride. Not good.

Andy
__________________
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 05:53 PM   #20
Rivet Master
 
Ganglin's Avatar
 
1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 2,365
Images: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In
Don.

Please have Chris check the tire drop.

Have him jack up one side of the trailer, and see how much "more" the tire drops, until it's off the ground.

It should drop about 2 to 3 inches.

If not, then the rubber rods have solidified, which will give the trailer a rough ride.

Generally speaking, if a load has been placed on a torsion axle, for several years, but has not been exorcised, then the rubber rods can solidify.

There are two tests. In your case, there is plenty of tire above the wheel. So your axles are OK there. But the tires must also drop when the trailer is lifted off the ground on one side. If they do drop that 2 to 3 inches then your axles are in very good shape.

If they only drop an inch or less, then the rubber rods have solidified, making the axle give the trailer a rough ride. Not good.

Andy
Andy, can you please clarify something. In the "drop test" would it work the same if the trailer was ran up on two ramps so one axle is free to fully hang down. Or, is it critical to do the test running one wheel on one side up to check the drop of the other axle? Thanks....
__________________
Ganglin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 06:31 PM   #21
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer
 
Inland RV Center, In's Avatar
 
Corona , California
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 16,499
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganglin
Andy, can you please clarify something. In the "drop test" would it work the same if the trailer was ran up on two ramps so one axle is free to fully hang down. Or, is it critical to do the test running one wheel on one side up to check the drop of the other axle? Thanks....
If you have a single axle trailer, it doesn't matter.

If you have a tandem or triaxle trailer, jacking up one side of the trailer will let you check all the axles at one time.

Andy
__________________

__________________
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bad axles, rough road, bent frame Lumatic Axles 0 05-21-2007 09:24 PM
Pictures of our bad axles Buttercup Axles 9 06-08-2005 07:22 AM
Bad axles Inland RV Center, In Axles 48 06-30-2004 10:40 AM
Are My Axles Bad? trogers713 Axles 48 05-07-2004 08:47 PM
Axles, how do I know if mine are bad? nds Axles 16 12-19-2003 03:32 AM


Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:53 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.