Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-02-2016, 12:22 PM   #1
@steadystreamincashios

1968 28' Ambassador
1964 26' Overlander
1976 Argosy 26
Heber Springs , Arkansas
Anyone used Timbren Axle-less suspension?

My 72 sovereign is gutted and just searching around for pricing and axles and stumbled upon these. Was wondering if anyone has ever used them or not.
Thanks
Zcashio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 12:56 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
A couple of years ago or so there was a thread on these axles or similar axles that a member had put on his frame.

I haven't seen any posts on that project in a while, I am guessing it is stalled.

While the particular suspension used was "axle-less" it used a 2"x2" square bar to keep everything square.

To this day I don't understand what benefit this system is supposed to provide.

Any system that does not use such a cross bar would not work on a stock frame as the rail would twist.

It would take a lot of beef to make a frame rail that would stand up against the torsional loading that such a setup (no crossbar) would impart.

Gradiens super tenui glacie.

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 01:15 PM   #3
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
Would think such a system would take a broad approach to modifications if one was to achieve success. No experience with these, but it is possible to design an axle system that is easier to align. That would be the advantage to an axle-less approach. Having to bend a structural member sounds like the design team was out to lunch when the configuration was approved. But reinventing the wheel just seems counter-productive. If you were a caravan racer, maybe.

Suggest you optimize all you can and get on with using your coach. Such an oddity would not contribute to future enjoyment and will add to the complexity of your restoration. But that is just my opinion and I'm not writing the checks.

Good luck with the restoration. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 01:20 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1978 25' Tradewind
Metro Phoenix , Arizona
I wouldn't serioiusly consider them, based on the frame twist scenario mentioned above. Especially with a longer coach, the center of the frame isn't exactly a strong point anyway.
Old 08-02-2016, 01:23 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Camber adjustment on most all trailer axles, big and small, are achieved by bending the axle.

Even more, trailers that become out of line mostly always become out of alignment because an axle became bent in operation or maintenance.

This being the case, it makes sense that the cure to a bent axle is a re-bending. In fact, due to the design of trailer axles, bending is the only practical fix.

Gradiens super tenui glacie.

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 05:31 PM   #6
@steadystreamincashios

1968 28' Ambassador
1964 26' Overlander
1976 Argosy 26
Heber Springs , Arkansas
Thanks for all the inputs. I just ran across them on a post the other day of someone with a longer AS than I had and was wondering the pros and cons.
Zcashio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 03:41 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2000 34' Limited
1985 25' Sovereign
LaGrange Highlands , Illinois
Y would U change from the airstream axle. I have towed over 400,000 miles with the axles on the airstream and if treated right they will last a lifetime. I think they R the best choice for a trailer. If think most horse trailers use smellier axles and they go forever.
rmatkovich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 10:30 AM   #8

1960 22' Safari
Tucson , Arizona
I am very tempted to place these on my land yacht. One of the biggest reasons being that a tire change won't be excessively lacking in simplicity. My LY presently has the original leaf system and the lowest leaf rests about 4" off the ground. Zero clearance and IMO unsafe. I see most members valid and speculative reasons for avoiding this new system, might you have any suggestions for me to keep my system and change to a recommended leaf set up or eliminate the leaf all together? I would really appreciate the input since we are die to re-location by mid December and need to have a safe solution by then.
Thank you
GritandGrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 03:10 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmatkovich View Post
Y would U change from the airstream axle. I have towed over 400,000 miles with the axles on the airstream and if treated right they will last a lifetime. I think they R the best choice for a trailer. If think most horse trailers use smellier axles and they go forever.
Seems people here change axles like crazy.. you have used the same ones? That's awesome.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote