Old 07-18-2008, 01:15 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1978 28' Ambassador
Morada , California
Anyone tried XL ProLube Oil Lubed Hubs?

I'm waiting for my new #3500 axles from Inland RV and intend to try Oil Lubed hubs. I've picked up two sets of XL ProLube kits to install when things come together...

Kodiak Trailer Components - XL Prolube Kit

These kits are a quality product...the oil seals are the oil bath type that rotate inside themselves, and not against the axle stub. With this type of seal you won't have any wear on the stub, as the seal doesn't 'rotate' there. The key to oil bathed hubs are the unique design of the seals, used in millions of miles on big rigs.

This type of seal has been used on large trucks and trailers for years and years, and allow the bearings to be constantly be bathed in oil to run cooler...no grease is used what so ever!

The only disadvantage I could see on an RV trailer would be if one were to 'rub off' (when backing into camp, etc.) the outer hub oil retainer caps...you'd lose your lube, where as with grease packed hubs, if you lost the outer cap, the bearings would still have SOME lube, if you caught it in time!

I like the convenience of taking a quick look at the oil level and knowing the bearings are well lubed! No repacking will ever be required...except for leak.

Any experience out there? Any comments?

They retail for about $50 per pair (1 kit with lube)...I actually got mine from West Marine.

Old 07-18-2008, 07:26 AM   #2
gunnyusmc

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Livingston , Texas
Oil Lube Hubs

I had them on my trailer, but they failed and were removed.
In my openion there is not enough oil too keep hubs cool.
Roger Williams Airstream quit installing them after many failures. You can call 800-378-5883 and ask for Denver for more info.

Gunny

Old 07-18-2008, 11:33 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1978 28' Ambassador
Morada , California
Quote:
I had them on my trailer, but they failed and were removed.
Gunny, what actually 'failed'...the seals? the bearings? What happened...leaks, or ?

I spent 25 years in the big rig truck parts business, and these oil bath seals have a good reputation for long service...most truckers love them for the ease of maintenance and long bearing life...

I know it's important to install the seals properly, as they can be damaged if not 'driven' into the hubs with a seal driver...I can see where a mechanic not familiar with them could mess them up.

Info on the actual 'failure' would be helpful...thanks.
Old 07-18-2008, 12:47 PM   #4
gunnyusmc

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Livingston , Texas
Pro Lube

The seals fail and the oil ran out, Hot bearings, oiled brake pads.
I was in the trucking field also, which is why I had them installed with my new disc brakes, but didn't last a week!! I think it's the small volume of oil (4oz) not enough too cool.
Like I say Denver the tech at Roger Williams has a lot of years with them and talked too Kodiac for hours before dropping them, he can also give you an idea of any improvement in the product since I removed mine.
Kodiac paid for the replacement of my bearings, races and brake pads and labor. They also paid for Rich Lurh's.

Gunny