Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Axles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-22-2012, 09:19 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1973 29' Ambassador
Mercer Island , Washington
Another Axle thread (with pics)

Hi,

Looking to buy a 73 29'. Well maintained, but I think original axles. I read the article on inland RV, but it wasn't totally clear to me after crawling under the trailer.

Here is a picture looking from the front of the trailer towards the bach. Ti looks t me like they are shot, but I really can't tell if I'm reading Andy's article backwards.

any thoughts are appreciated so I can negotiate a fair price with the current owner.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_000433.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	199.8 KB
ID:	166426  
dcheshire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 09:25 AM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcheshire View Post
Hi,

Looking to buy a 73 29'. Well maintained, but I think original axles. I read the article on inland RV, but it wasn't totally clear to me after crawling under the trailer.

Here is a picture looking from the front of the trailer towards the bach. Ti looks t me like they are shot, but I really can't tell if I'm reading Andy's article backwards.

any thoughts are appreciated so I can negotiate a fair price with the current owner.
As the torsion arm goes rearward, it should be pointing somwehat down hill.

If it's parallel to the frame, or going uphill as it goes rearward, then the rubber rods within the axle tube have exhausted their life.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 10:00 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
There are data plates on the axles with the date of manufacture and the rating of the axle. This will tell you how old the axles are. In looking at your pic, I don't see any down angle. So it's probably time to replace. Figure in the neighborhood of $1500.00 for new axles, if you do the work yourself.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 10:56 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1973 29' Ambassador
thanks, I'll check the angles and date stamps, but planning for replacement this winter. Hopefully it's OK to get 1-2 trips out of it from now until September and hten i'll call inland and see about getting some new axles, potentially upgrade to discs at the same time
Old 08-22-2012, 11:50 AM   #5
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
The axles probably are bad, but every single Airstream trailer has axles at that angle when new from the factory. The angle at rest proves nothing.
Old 08-22-2012, 12:48 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

1960 24' Tradewind
Riverside , United States
The designed ride height of a 22 1/2° down start angle is horizontal, scanned from the original Henschen manual.
Greg
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	22.5°.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	44.1 KB
ID:	166436  
Old 08-22-2012, 01:04 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1973 29' Ambassador
thanks Greg. This graphic would be for the rear axle, so the front axle would be the opposite. I believe that these axles are pointed up, so are shot as the end of the bar that the spindle secures to is actually higher than the frame.
Old 08-22-2012, 02:32 PM   #8
banjobill

2000 30' Limited
battle ground, , Washington
huh?

I think it is time to check on the non-responsive domestic, myself.
wmarsha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 08:41 AM   #9
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
thanks Greg. This graphic would be for the rear axle, so the front axle would be the opposite. I believe that these axles are pointed up, so are shot as the end of the bar that the spindle secures to is actually higher than the frame.
Greg's graph, is for "ALL" installed torsion axles on Airstream and Argosy trailers.

There is "no" difference between the fron, center or rear axle, as the case may be.

Andy
Old 09-08-2012, 06:21 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
Springfield , South Carolina
My 3200 lb axles are in the neutral loaded angle with no hubs or backing plates at all. Literally unloaded with nothing but spindle and they are still neutral. I used a 6 ton hydraulic jack placed right up under the lift plate and it has about 4 1/2" of life and the tire was still on the ground ! ! ! ! !

Wish I had photographed them from underside before I pulled them off.
Hummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 06:30 AM   #11
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
The graphic is for the left trailing arm, so the right would be the opposite.
Old 09-08-2012, 08:13 AM   #12
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hummer View Post
My 3200 lb axles are in the neutral loaded angle with no hubs or backing plates at all. Literally unloaded with nothing but spindle and they are still neutral. I used a 6 ton hydraulic jack placed right up under the lift plate and it has about 4 1/2" of life and the tire was still on the ground ! ! ! ! !

Wish I had photographed them from underside before I pulled them off.
Your measurements say that the rubber rods are worn out.

That means the trailer will bottom out when hitting bumps, no exceptions.

Andy
Old 09-08-2012, 08:16 AM   #13
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Quote:
if the front axle is the opposite, you have an axle installed backwards. The arm always trails toward the rear....
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 01:38 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

1973 29' Ambassador
Thanks everyone. I bought the trailer and plan on doing the axles this winter (want to order before Andy's summer sale is over). How much time will I save buying the axles "complete" vs reinstalling my brakes onto the new axles. Current brakes/bearings were serviced less than 1 year ago and work great. (looks like $300/axle price difference)
Old 09-11-2012, 06:36 AM   #15
3 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
Springfield , South Carolina
For peace of mind I went with the whole assembly. Went to pick mine up yesterday and they had the mounting brackets welded on backwards. The distribution center manager was not happy. At any rate I took my old axle to do a side by side comparison and he wanted to keep the axle and is going to send it to plant with the bad ones to make sure it is right. Other than that they were beautiful and the hole alignment with AS factory holes was perfect. There were assembled and pre packed with grease ready to bolt up, wire up and go.

I told him I wanted the axle back as I plan on using them to make a car hauler.
Hummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 07:36 AM   #16
4 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Houston , Texas
Andy, will the hub assembly (or any part of it) transfer from an old Henschen Dura-Torque axle ('74-'80) to a new 'naked' Dexter Torflex axle? [Size # 11 (3600-6000 lb)]

If not, why not?

Hub Assembly = drum, shoes, brake backing plate, brake internal parts.
(did I leave any parts out ?)

thanks

...aahh..rumm..pu..tum..tummm...
Distantdrummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 09:49 PM   #17
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Distantdrummer View Post
Andy, will the hub assembly (or any part of it) transfer from an old Henschen Dura-Torque axle ('74-'80) to a new 'naked' Dexter Torflex axle? [Size # 11 (3600-6000 lb)]

If not, why not?

Hub Assembly = drum, shoes, brake backing plate, brake internal parts.
(did I leave any parts out ?)

thanks
You left out the bearings.

The old # LM67048 bearing is now a # 15123.

The 25580 bearing remains the same.

But yes, the old drums will fit the new Dexters, but not the never lubes.

Keep in mind however, that the old drums are either 2 or 3 piece and generally way out of balance. New style drums are one piece, machined, and while not perfectly in balance, they still are a vast improvement over the old drums.

Adding the Centramatic balancers to the new drums, takes care of the balancing issues.

Your brakes should be replaced with the new style "self adjusting brakes". Some parts are no longer available for the old style electric brakes.

They are going out the door faster than "hotcakes".

Keeps the brakes adjusted to 100 braking factor, since they continuously adjust themselves, every time you back up the trailer.

Andy
Old 09-12-2012, 10:19 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Bend , Oregon
Andy,
I received my new axles complete with brakes and certramatics from you and installed them last weekend everything fit perfect. I believe they where the 3500# axles with 12 inch brakes.
Thanks again Derf
derf is offline   Reply With Quote