Old 12-13-2007, 09:47 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1987 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Blowing Rock , North Carolina
another axle question

Andy,
While installing new shocks on our 96 34', I noticed gouging in the frame where (I assume) the shock mounting bolt came in contact with the frame. We recently bought this trailer (our first 34')and previous history is that it sat for approx. 5 years in Florida. After reading your thread I fear that we need new axles. Is this a characteristic of the rods in the axle being worn out? How do I know what type of axle that we have? I am driving over to our storage area to see if I can determine the range of motion, as you suggested.
Thank you,
Perry

Old 12-13-2007, 10:52 AM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClayandPerry
Andy,
While installing new shocks on our 96 34', I noticed gouging in the frame where (I assume) the shock mounting bolt came in contact with the frame. We recently bought this trailer (our first 34')and previous history is that it sat for approx. 5 years in Florida. After reading your thread I fear that we need new axles. Is this a characteristic of the rods in the axle being worn out? How do I know what type of axle that we have? I am driving over to our storage area to see if I can determine the range of motion, as you suggested.
Thank you,
Perry

Perry.

Please read the following article.

Dura Torque Axle

If the shock studs on the torsion arm are hitting the axle mounting plate, then that's not good.

The shock brackets can be bent outward to stop that problem.

However, in the absence of a photo, I can only sort of guess what the problem is from your description.

Any torsion axle that is not exercised to a reasonable degree, can develope two problems.

The first is that when the rods give out, and the trailer settles towards the ground. The position of the torsion arms answers that question. When the trailer tires hit bumps, the torsion arms bottom out, sending severe shock to the trailer chassis and shell. That in turn results in ultimate chassis failure and damage to the shell.

The second is that the rubber rods can "solidify."

When the rubber rods solidify, they are very hard and offer very little shock absorption, when the trailer tires hit bumps. The bulk of the shock absorption is then within the tires themselves, which is not a good idea. Blow outs are caused by that.

Setting for 5 years, normally, is more than enough time for the axle rubber rods to have failed.

Andy

Old 12-14-2007, 05:24 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1987 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Blowing Rock , North Carolina
Thanks Andy,

I did bend out the flanges slightly to get the bolts out, so that should elimainate the rub problem. The link is helpful in understanding the axle dynamics and we will inspect accordingly.

Regards,
Perry