Old 05-09-2011, 06:34 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1964 19' Globetrotter
The Sea Ranch , California
An axle is an axle is an axle?

So, the Globie is going in for a new axle (actually, to be sized for it) Thursday, it'll be ordered while we're on the east coast, and then installed in time for some fun in the trailer later in the summer. So, is there a preferred axle manufacturer for the Dura-torque type axle?

Cross another major system off the list of "I hope that doesn't fail anytime soon"

Old 05-09-2011, 07:17 PM   #2
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Top
Globie,
It all boils down to personal preference and price in my opinion. I'm sure that Axis, Dexter and Al-Ko Kober axles are of similar build quality. New Airstreams have Dexter axles installed. I have an axle thread that I put together. Good luck with your selection.

Work is never done, so take time to play!
Top is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 07:48 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Axles is a VERY touchy subject with MANY people on the forums. You will get a ton advice. From seeing Top's axles just 3 days ago, I think his is a good thread to go with.

Steve
Old 05-09-2011, 08:27 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1974 31' Excella 500
Charleston , South Carolina
I went with Dexter because I like the TV show.
Old 12-10-2011, 03:32 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1964 19' Globetrotter
Okay, advice or not, I have a new axle. After a 130 mile drive home from the shop where the work was done, up the coast highway north of SF (twisty and steep) I couldn't be happier- no more bounce and shaking. We went with a Dexter axle with the same rating as the original and 6 lugs.
Old 12-10-2011, 05:59 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1967 20' Globetrotter
denver , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Globie64 View Post
Okay, advice or not, I have a new axle. After a 130 mile drive home from the shop where the work was done, up the coast highway north of SF (twisty and steep) I couldn't be happier- no more bounce and shaking. We went with a Dexter axle with the same rating as the original and 6 lugs.
Mine is up at Luke's Maintenance and Repair in Fort Collins CO getting measured for my new axle. I didn't even ask him what kind I was gonna get! Didn't even think about it.

Anyway, I too am looking forward to her new legs. Did you notice a substantial difference? Was it worth the money and piece of mind?
star kitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 06:45 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1964 19' Globetrotter
I did notice a difference, not huge but definitely smoother. I drove home on a variety of roads, bouncy levee, interstate and cliffside two lane. The trailer is so small I forget it's back there- actually had a panic stop in open range land when a cow crossed in front me. Adam Blair at Avalon RV in Benicia did the work and we were able to tailor the axle to size and existing wheels. It actually brakes better than it did before. I had been looking online to see what people's experiences had been with different axle manufacturers. It's good to be specific since there are so many variables. P
Old 12-10-2011, 06:48 PM   #8
Site Team

1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by star kitty View Post
Mine is up at Luke's Maintenance and Repair in Fort Collins CO getting measured for my new axle. I didn't even ask him what kind I was gonna get! Didn't even think about it.

Anyway, I too am looking forward to her new legs. Did you notice a substantial difference? Was it worth the money and piece of mind?
Luke will most likely install Dexter axles as he has done on others. You made a good choice by going to Luke.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 07:03 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2008 19' Safari SE
Erie , Colorado
Oooh, good to know about a good mechanic in Colorado, have been vaguely wondering about that. Thanks!

Blog: 300 Miles or 3:00
zlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 07:14 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

1967 20' Globetrotter
denver , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by azflycaster View Post
Luke will most likely install Dexter axles as he has done on others. You made a good choice by going to Luke.
Ya, I have heard he does excellent work. Very meticulous. Plus, I'm trying to do the "small business Christmas" thing this year and spend money at the local small business level.

Looking forward to her return.
Old 12-10-2011, 11:24 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Quote:
Luke will do a great job, probably a Dexter axle, or that is what he put in my 20' Argosy. I did the measurements at home, talked to him about it on the phone, brought it down and stayed in his driveway while he put it in. Great guy, great work, good price, and I am a very happy camper. I have since changed to 16" wheels with LT 225/75 R16 Goodrich tires, and the tow is great.
Old 12-11-2011, 10:44 AM   #12
4 Rivet Member

1987 25' Sovereign
Fort Collins , Colorado
Luke did ours too -- ditto all the kudos above. But the new axles raised us about 3"so had to replace hitch as well. Not all that bad -- now I have a hitch we can adjust, and tailgate on TV clears the propane tank cover.
Old 12-11-2011, 01:35 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
1964 17' Bambi II
Laramie , Wyoming
Quote:

Luke replaced Bambi's a couple of months ago, including welding on shock brackets which didn't come on the axles for that year. Raised the trailer about 2 inches. Had an uneventful drive home...just what I wanted.
Santana tandem bike
WBCCI # 4181 VAC member
Antique Pedaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 02:39 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

1967 20' Globetrotter
denver , Colorado
Besides getting new drum brakes, it sounds like we replace the axle for trailer preservation. Doesn't sound like the upgrade changes how the TT feels behind our TV much.