Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Axles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-01-2012, 08:22 AM   #41
4 Rivet Member

1968 24' Tradewind
1959 17' Pacer
Vintage Kin Owner
holly springs , Georgia
Interesting point Frank, I too was thinking of going with a higher profile. maybe someone can supply before and after pics to see how much visual effect it has.

Kevin
kevinb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 09:05 AM   #42
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
I was hoping for 1 in a 1,000,000, 000.
To each his own for sure.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 09:52 AM   #43
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62overlander View Post
I was hoping for 1 in a 1,000,000, 000.
To each his own for sure.
There is not quite that many Airstreams and Argosy trailer's yet, including the want-to-be's.

But, Airstream is working on it, full time.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 11:47 AM   #44
Rivet Master

Zerosum Gain

I would think jacking up the trailer with an axle that has a greater starter pitch in the end is a zerosum gain for most when it comes to older trailers since many folks are now running radial tires. Lets think about it for a second, you jack the trailer up by say what, 2 inches by using a greater pitch axle from the original height. You then lower the trailer by an inch, maybe 2 inches by putting radial tires which makes the trailer sit lower because of the flexing of the sidewalls and the tire itself not being as tall as the orginal 7.00x15 bias-plys that came on the trailer when it was new with the lower axle pitch. Again, it's about a zerosum gain on the back bumper height and the hitch height though the trailer "appears" to look higher since it rides higher up the tire sidewall. Now if you use the greater axle pitch along with 7.00x15 tires, yes, you have raised the trailer quite a bit.

For me, all my stuff goes back original, both in axle pitch and 7.00x15 bias-ply tires (which are about 29.5 inches tall). I use a Ford Excurison to tow or an F-250 Super Duty and the setup rides nice and level. Remember, they put the holes in the receiver bar drop for a reason, so you can lower the head to the needed height.

Not saying I'm right, just saying anyone thats seen my setup says it's looks correct.

Enjoy,
Old 01-01-2012, 12:00 PM   #45
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Paul tells many stories but he tells no lies!!!!

I too run on old school tires Paul. Knock on wood, my Carlisle have never let me down. They never seem to wear out and in five years I have only added 2 pounds of air to one, of the four tires. I have just about stopped asking clients what they want me to put on.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 01:25 PM   #46
Rivet Master

Frank,

I run the "Power King" LT bias-ply that many places run on their smaller delivery trucks. The good thing about them, they are rated at a higher speed (where trailer tires are rated at 65mph). I inflate them to the max (65psi) based on the rating and they never get real hot even in the middle of summer running 70mph. Now, I will be the first to say, run them at a lower pressure and the will heat-up a little (you can feel the temp difference between 62 and 65psi). In fact, since the trailer rides at an every so slight pitch down in the front (when water tank is full) on the 1966 Overlander, you can feel a slight difference in the temp from the front tires to to the back ones that have a little less pressure on them.

I will say, this setup works best for me since I also pull with a 1962 Galaxie Conv. and a 1968 International Travelall. If memory serves me right, I have the hitch head setup to where I need to hook-up to the 7th chain link on the load bars when pulling with the Galaxie/Travelall to bring the tailend up on the car and the front end of the trailer. When I'm pulling with the Excursion/F250SD, I only need to connect to the 2nd chain link on the level bars since the Fords can handle the tongue weight of about 450lbs (no water in fresh tank) and thus the reason why I normally run with a full water tank when pulling with the Fords to give it a slightly better ride though I run empty when pulling with the Vintage tows.

Again, not saying I'm right just what has worked well for me over the past ten+ years with Vintage and Heavy Duty tow rigs.

Enjoy,