Old 11-21-2010, 06:33 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member
2011 27 FB International
Keswick , Ontario
Airstream Undercarriage Rustproofing

Looking for opinions on whether or not it is a good idea to rustproof underneath the Airstrean to protect the axle and running gear.

Mifair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 06:40 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I'm not sure to what extent you mean. I would keep the axle shaft and trailing arms and backing plated coated with a good rust preventative paint as needed, being careful to avoid working parts of the brakes etc.

dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 07:01 AM   #3
Rivet Master
2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
I don't think it would be that practical to attempt as most of the frame is concealed within the belly pan.

About the only thing I have been thinking recently to do is to spray the axle mounting bolts regularly with penetrating oil - or just WD-40 to make the bolts easier to deal with if ever I need to remove an axle.

I'm not sure what external storage compartments your trailer has - mine has three, the water connections and elec cable storage on the road side and a small empty locker on the curb side.

These can get messy with corrosion due to their vulnerable location, doors that are not really water tight, and the fact that they seem to be made of painted sheet steel. I need to do some work on mine and may consider cleaning them up and painting with POR-15.

Brian & Connie Mitchell

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 08:26 AM   #4
Rivet Master
Mifair, this is a vital topic. I spent much time and energy, and a little money, dealing with this issue. The full details, including spraying the insides of the long box-sections are described in this thread:
You need to read all 29 posts to get the picture.
Nick Crowhurst, Excella 25 1988, Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins Diesel. England in summer, USA in winter.
"The price of freedom is eternal maintenance."
nickcrowhurst is offline   Reply With Quote