Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-30-2014, 05:47 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1990 29' Excella
Corner Brook , Newfoundland
Air shocks

This is my first post so not sure what I am doing. I have a 1990 29' Excella and have axels that are at minus degrees as well. My location is in Newfoundland Canada so expecting high freight costs to get new. My question is has anyone examined installing air shocks? Are they made that would except the near horizontal position?
I often see some of you vacationing here in Nfld. Hope you have enjoyed.
Have did a little remodelling on my Excella and would like to share if I can get this post work.
Iys.Da.Bye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 06:27 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Air shocks

I doubt there are any air shocks short enough to fit the stock mounts.

Unfortunately if the axles are shot, which they sound as if they are, it is going to require replacement.

I think the rubber rods in the axle simply break down after time.

Welcome to the forums!

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 08:05 PM   #3
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
There are no horizontal air shocks for an Air Stream application to assist in an axle that has seen better days.

If there was it would likely break the shock mount over time as the shock mounts are not strong enough to take soome of the weight of the trailer.

Axle replacement is the only solution to a trailer that has a lowered ride height because of rubber torsion spring degradiation.

>>>>>>>Action
Old 10-30-2014, 09:11 PM   #4
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
your axles are done...sorry.

Hope you get it fixed up soon.

The 'process' is to read the 'plate' on the axle on your trailer to get an idea where to begin. There are some very knowledgeable folks who can help you. You can begin with the Airstream Mothership... or Colonial Airstream up close to you.

Good luck!
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 03:43 PM   #5
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iys.Da.Bye View Post
This is my first post so not sure what I am doing. I have a 1990 29' Excella and have axels that are at minus degrees as well. My location is in Newfoundland Canada so expecting high freight costs to get new. My question is has anyone examined installing air shocks? Are they made that would except the near horizontal position?
I often see some of you vacationing here in Nfld. Hope you have enjoyed.
Have did a little remodelling on my Excella and would like to share if I can get this post work.
There is a "air shock" available, but the first bump you hit will shear off the shock studs.

There are three choices you can make when the torsion axles are history.

1. Make VERY VERY SHORT trips, like less than 100 miles.

2. Don't use the trailer on the road.

3. Bite the bullet and replace the axles. Then you can upgrade several of the original specs.

Axles can be shipped to a friend in the USA, and then take the trailer and just pick them up. That's the choice many owners make. Saves time and duties.

Or, have someone in the states change them out.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 09:35 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

1990 29' Excella
Thanks for the replies to this idea. I did feel that the mounting bolt on the side of the frame would have to be beefed up with a new bracket. On the other end, flat stock is welded to the top of the axel cam which looked not to bad for strength.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Old 11-01-2014, 10:33 AM   #7
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Thanks for the replies to this idea. I did feel that the mounting bolt on the side of the frame would have to be beefed up with a new bracket. On the other end, flat stock is welded to the top of the axel cam which looked not to bad for strength.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Both original shock studs are exactly the same, and made with the same material.

Our world wide customer contacts have many times reported broken studs because they did what you proposed.

Also the air shocks, while lifting the trailer, do not compensate for the bad rubber rods within the axle housing.

Some ideas are good, but simply won't work.

Milk in cans, no go.

Beer in cans, well sort of

Andy
Old 11-01-2014, 11:06 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1994 34' Excella
Warren , Manitoba
I would find a competent shop in the US, have the axles shipped to them, and make the trip to have them installed. I am sure that someone on this forum can point you in the right direction to have the work done on the east coast. Order the axles from Andy and have them shipped direct. I did, and it's the best money spent on our trailer so far. We had ours done in South Dakota. Very reasonable price and great service.
CBWELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 04:47 AM   #9
1 Rivet Member

1990 29' Excella
What you all are saying is likely the only option. The use of air shocks in other applications supplement lift. With the airstream axel there is simply no lift energy left when the rubber deteriorates. I tried to read the tag on the front axel which is facing forward. Previous owner must have traveled a few gravel roads. I had to replace the propane lines as they were beaten flat in fact so bad that surprised they had not started to leak. I replaced them with the coated material for a permanent fix. I would suggest everyone to have the exposed lines checked as certainly a safety issue. Thanks everyone for your experience.
Old 11-05-2014, 05:53 AM   #10
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
What you all are saying is likely the only option. The use of air shocks in other applications supplement lift. With the airstream axel there is simply no lift energy left when the rubber deteriorates. I tried to read the tag on the front axel which is facing forward. Previous owner must have traveled a few gravel roads. I had to replace the propane lines as they were beaten flat in fact so bad that surprised they had not started to leak. I replaced them with the coated material for a permanent fix. I would suggest everyone to have the exposed lines checked as certainly a safety issue. Thanks everyone for your experience.
There is an easy fix to prevent most of the damage to the LPG lines from rocks.

Purchase a length of 1/2 inch plastic or rubber water hose.

Cut it length wise, but in a pretty good spiral.

Then wrap the hose as needed around the copper tubing.

Fasten it in place with some tie wraps.

No need to make any disconnections of the tubing.

Andy