Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Axles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-21-2010, 07:57 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1990 34' Limited
Proud to be , an American
'90 Limited 34' (Axle and shock replacement) URGENT HELP PLEASE

Hello All-
Many thanks first off for any assistance that you might be able to lend.......
Andy....are you our there ???

I have a 1990 34' Limited, which we are doing a complete overhaul on inside / outside.

We are replacing the brakes/ shocks / axles. Hence my questions here.

1. We are replacing the full brake ( including the backing plate) Are the self adjusting units any "better" than the non-self adjusting units??

2. What size Shock is recommended in this unit ? a source to obtain them??

3. Looking at Dexter # 11 Axles (Heavy Duty, fully enclosed ) We travel 25k + a year ...think AK WY MT off the beaten path ..... Dexter fo some reason does not recommend their #11 dura torque in a tri- axle, but they worked VERY well on my dual axle 28"...

Without saying the bearings will be cleaned, repacked and a new seal applied- any thoughts on replacing the bearings on a PM basis? This unit has been sitting in the FL heat for some time, with ZERP PM on these parts.

Any and all comments, suggestions are more than welcomed!!
Safe Travels to All
Elf1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 08:11 AM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by eglisems View Post

1. We are replacing the full brake ( including the backing plate) Are the self adjusting units any "better" than the non-self adjusting units??
They aren't any better, but the self-adjusting part is more convenient.
Quote:

2. What size Shock is recommended in this unit ? a source to obtain them??
The shocks are Airstream specific, and you can get them at any Airstream dealer. Bates and Saunders in Florida, or Out of Doors Mart come to mind.
Quote:

3. Looking at Dexter # 11 Axles (Heavy Duty, fully enclosed ) We travel 25k + a year ...think AK WY MT off the beaten path ..... Dexter fo some reason does not recommend their #11 dura torque in a tri- axle, but they worked VERY well on my dual axle 28"...
Even though the 34 weighs more than the 28, the weight per axle is less.
Quote:

Without saying the bearings will be cleaned, repacked and a new seal applied- any thoughts on replacing the bearings on a PM basis? This unit has been sitting in the FL heat for some time, with ZERP PM on these parts.
Replacement is generally not indicated unless the bearings show damage. If they do, be sure to replace the races as well.
Old 02-21-2010, 08:20 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1990 34' Limited
Proud to be , an American
Terry,
Many thanks for the "rapid reply" ....Any suggestions on the Axle of choice for a 34'??
It pains me to think that there is not a HD self lube axle out there for this application -
Many Thanks-
Elf1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1990, brakes, replace, shocks, axle