Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Axles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-27-2013, 10:38 AM   #21
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by wkerfoot View Post
Thom,

The shocks get bolted to the brackets.

Bill
Shock studs are supposed to be welded to the shock brackets.

Bolts can get loose. the welding cannot.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 02:13 PM   #22
3 Rivet Member

1979 23' Safari
, Ohio
New axle pics - measuring arm movement exposed!

Very interesting...
So I drove one axle up on blocks(both sides) and found what appeared to be between 2.75 -3.25 inches of play for both axles. (see pics) I'm really thinking at this point that everything is gonna be okay.
But wait- Then I removed the rear wheel (this axle had the most "movement" at 3.25") and placed a floor jack under the drum. I began to jack it up and was astonished to see that there was only about .5" to .75" movement before the frame began to lift. I would have taken pictures of that, but I was too depressed. The problem with the first method I used (that I have read about in several posts) is times two:
First, you have to realize that this is not a true measurement of single arm movement since you are compressing one with most of the weight while completely freeing the other. Under the best circumstances, the true single arm movement would be 50% of what is measured.
Second, I think you have to take into account the tire sidewall flex. Even mine, which are bias ply showed a little compression about .5".
I guess that I can stop talking myself out of new axles.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20130729_005.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	198.0 KB
ID:	192022   Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20130729_009.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	206.8 KB
ID:	192023  

thomdial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 06:23 PM   #23
3 Rivet Member

1979 23' Safari
, Ohio
Axles installed

Bill,
I just installed my axles today. It took me about 8 hours. None of the holes were close to matching up, so I had to drill 8 holes, 4 of which were through both axle bracket and frame and quite difficult to get to in some cases. One shock stud broke off, so I haven't installed the shocks yet. This has not exactly been a plug and play operation. The brackets were also NOTICEABLY smaller than the originals, and so hole placement is less than optimal.
Have a great day
Thom
thomdial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 08:03 PM   #24
1 Rivet Member

1988 25' Excella
East TN , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
Shock studs are supposed to be welded to the shock brackets.

Bolts can get loose. the welding cannot.

Andy

the studs that are welded have a nut on one side if your worried about that nut coming off welding the stud is not going to help.
Bolts are fine for shocks.
George35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 08:24 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Thom,

Same problem with the holes, had to drill out all eight. Some easier than others. Trailer is about 1 1/2" higher than before. Installed the disc brakes. Uwe connected the hydraulic lines and actuator. Trip to Buellton for the Vintage Trailer Bash last weekend. Disc brakes are FANTASTIC.

Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomdial View Post
Bill,
I just installed my axles today. It took me about 8 hours. None of the holes were close to matching up, so I had to drill 8 holes, 4 of which were through both axle bracket and frame and quite difficult to get to in some cases. One shock stud broke off, so I haven't installed the shocks yet. This has not exactly been a plug and play operation. The brackets were also NOTICEABLY smaller than the originals, and so hole placement is less than optimal.
Have a great day
Thom
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 08:39 PM   #26
3 Rivet Member

1979 23' Safari
, Ohio