Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Axles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-23-2016, 10:30 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 26
diamond bar , California
'76 Argosy 26 Axle replacement purchase/info

I spent many many hours reading many threads about axles. I got an order sheet from Dexter, completed it, then contacted Redneck trailer supply for a quote. In the mean time, I left a message at Inland RV with serial numbers and later called Colin Hyde.

I received a quote from Redneck. Then Andy called and said, we have your axle good in stock. The price was better than going to Redneck direct. I picked them up at Inland RV the very same day.

When I got home, Colin had emailed a response about the differences between Inland and his axles. Very informative. I may have purchased through him If I had heard from him first. There are many posts about, how do I contact Colin? But his response time was hours, not days or weeks that you read about.

Any how, I liked the fact I did not need to pay for shipping and was able to pick them up the same day. All those hours of research, measuring and re measuring, hoping I got it right was for not. But I did have the measurements correct.

I started spraying PB Blaster friday night, made a template and parked the front axle on blocks, PB again on Saturday early AM. At 8:00 AM (Noise), I started my compressor and impact. I finished everything by myself except wiring before it got dark. Friends came over to help after I was done. LOL.

I read, to enlarge holes to use a step bit. I used a die grinder to oblong the holes. It makes a lot of noise but with the metal rasp bit, it grinds fast.

The existing rear holes I used as is. Cut about a 1/4" wider towards the front for the axle notch. Flap disk to clean up. Enlarged the front holes.

Axle swap was easy. If I had another hand it would have been cake.

A couple surprises about the axles. When I see pictures of axles they are all assembled with the brakes. Mine came with bearings and brakes in boxes. The other item I was not expecting was the shock mounts, welded on and ready to go.

To be honest, If the brakes came assembled with the axle, I would not have installed it alone. It would have been too heavy.

I'm not sure if Inland RV supplies instructions but I did not receive any. I was able to find torque settings for the brake backing, bearings, and lugs online at Dexter.

I have not pulled the trailer but I'm very confident they are in alignment. Verified measurements from front jack and rears of the axle slots did not change.
909kenu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 11:33 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 26
Fair Oaks , California
Got mine from Colin for My Argosy. Bolted right up. No drilling required. He spec'd them for an Airstream which gave a wider track giving me more clearance between wheel and frame. Also got the 32 degree down angle for a little extra ground clearance. Did yours have 12 inch brakes ?? Mine came with the 10 inch versions. They stop just fine . Took about four weeks to make it to California .
Argosy Heir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 02:41 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 26
diamond bar , California
I gave Inland my serial number. Andy called and said they have them. I picked them up from them in Corona. Seriously took about 10 min. from arrival to load.

They are 3500 lbs axles with the 12" brakes, 80" wide. 3" wider than originals or 1 1/2 on each side. 25% more axle than original at 2800 lbs. I also got the 32* down which lifted the Argosy a bit. I did not measure but 3" or so

I was contemplating making a 3" lift with 3 x 3 x 3/16 tube steel. Drilling holes on a drill press. I think then you would not need to notch anything. Everything would just bolt in.

Waiting for rims and tires before towing....should be here soon. I hate waiting for stuff.

We will see how it rides soon.
909kenu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 06:48 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1978 25' Tradewind
Metro Phoenix , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Argosy Heir View Post
Got mine from Colin for My Argosy. Bolted right up. No drilling required. He spec'd them for an Airstream which gave a wider track giving me more clearance between wheel and frame. Also got the 32 degree down angle for a little extra ground clearance. Did yours have 12 inch brakes ?? Mine came with the 10 inch versions. They stop just fine . Took about four weeks to make it to California .
Four weeks? Dang, amigo - you should have bought a lottery ticket on the day they arrived!

My axles from Colin are now at six weeks, with no sign of 'em yet.