Old 08-08-2004, 04:18 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Question '65 Jacked on Axle?

I went to pick up my 65 Trotter and to "help me out" the PO had it jacked (under the axle!) when I arrived, so I could put the new wheels on to drive it home...

Then I drove it to an RV machanic to have some new brakes/bearings put on that I got from Andy. I left the shop for a bit and when I came back to the shop he had it jacked up the same way! I pointed this out, but he said it was OK.

Will this damage the axle? I was surprised that the RV mechanic had done it this way...from reading the forum, I thought the trailer should be jacked from the just behind the wheel on the frame...no??? Can anyone tell me specificly where I should be jacking this up as I just might need to get under it again

Aside from this happening the axle looks fine to me...has a nice negative position acording to Andys charts, so it looks to be in good shape. Also it towed the 1st 400 miles like a dream on the new tires, breaks, bearings!

Let me know if there is anything specific I should look for...I guess I want to know what type of damage this might cause???

Thanks for the info...more questions to come!

Old 08-08-2004, 09:05 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1965 20' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Houston , Texas
Was the jack under the center or close to the welds at the wheels? It would be pretty hard to deflect it by the wheels although it could crush the square tubing.

The Globetrotter is pretty light. If it does not look bent or crushed, it is most likely OK. Just don't let anyone do it again. Flog them with your dump hose the next time they try.

-"You want to make it two inches - or, if you're working in centimeters, make sure it's enough centimeters for two inches."-Red Green
BobbyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2004, 09:16 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Red face Side...not center.

I know the first guy had a jack stand on one side and the jack on the other...got it off as quick as I could. Same with the other guy at the RV place!

I will take a much closer look. Trailer was esentialy empty at the time.

Where should I jack...behind the wheel?

Thanks again.
Old 08-08-2004, 10:16 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1965 20' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Houston , Texas
Yes, behind the wheel on the vertical plate the axle goes through. It is a tight fit.

The Globetrotter manual does not list a location (just checked it again). It does talk about dual axles and driving on to blocks, but the GT only has a single so a lot of good that does.

-"You want to make it two inches - or, if you're working in centimeters, make sure it's enough centimeters for two inches."-Red Green
BobbyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2004, 10:31 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Yeah...

I have the manual and I couldn't find it either...thanks for being so forthcomming with the info.
Old 08-09-2004, 11:19 AM   #6
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
A Henschen axle or a Dexter for that matter, "MUST NEVER" be used as a jacking point.

To do so can change the alignment.

The safest jacking point, is always the "axle mounting plate."

However, in the case of a tandem or tri-axle trailer, simply pulling a tire up onto wooden blocks, is the easiest way.

Andy
Old 08-09-2004, 11:50 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Red face Must Never!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In
A Henschen axle or a Dexter for that matter, "MUST NEVER" be used as a jacking point.

To do so can change the alignment.

However, in the case of a tandem or tri-axle trailer, simply pulling a tire up onto wooden blocks, is the easiest way.

Andy
Saying this makes me think there must have been some damage done if you MUST NEVER do this...mine WAS jacked this way(not by me) and it APPEARS to be OK...are there any specific things I should look for that would indicate a problem from the PO/shop doing this? Mine is NOT a tandem...65 GT single axle. I definitly want to rectify a problem, if indeed I do have one?

Thanks.
Old 08-09-2004, 12:49 PM   #8
5 rivets, 1 loose screw

1966 20' Globetrotter
Saginaw County , Michigan
Proper jack placement

Quote:
Andy

This is a topic that has been brought up repeatedly.
As mentioned in post #33 of THIS thread, Airstream advised me:
"Roger All trailers are provided with a 3" aluminum pad to indicate the proper jack placement position. It is located on the frame rail behind the rear tires.
"Airstream does not recommend placing the jack under the axle or axle mounting plate."

In post #18 of THIS thread, Andy advised:
"I have raised the question with Airstream and they have advised us that they will look into the matter and take it under review."

Andy, I'm curious to know if you've had any response from Airstream on this topic. It would be great to have a definitive answer or at least an opinion that both Airstream and yourself can agree upon.
Thanks.

May you camp where wind won’t hit you, where snakes won’t bite and bears won’t git you.

Rog0525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2004, 12:57 PM   #9
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
blrpix.

Have the alignment checked.

Toe in each side 1/16" plus or minus 1/16". Both sides must be the same or a dog leg towing condition will exist.

Camber each side 3/4 degees positive, plus or minus 3/4 degrees.

Andy
Old 08-09-2004, 01:31 PM   #10
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Rog0525

Henschen built the chassis and axles.

They say "axle mounting plate."

The jack plate labels on the frame are for "stabilizer jacks only." They are not a lifting point.

Through the year, I have talked with Airstream time and time again. The stock answer is "we will look into it." Bottom line, to me, is listen to the people that built the chassis.

But lets go a little further and explore the simple "safety" factor.

Jacking up on the axle mounting plate, won't damage anything.

Attempting to jack the trailer up at a stabilizing point has a number of hazards.

#1 You will damage the underbelly, unless you use a block of wood.
#2 You must use a wooden block, placed exactly correct, between the jack and frame.
#3 The jack and wooden block "must" be perfectly placed on the frame, or it could slip and puncture the underbelly.
#4 Since the frame is a "C" channel, if the jack and block are not correctly placed, the outer edge of the "C" channel can give way, curl or bend, allowing the wooden block to puncture the underbelly.
#5 If the trailer is lifted, from Airstreams "Jack pad" label, (depending on which one) damage to the side sheet is possible.

Why in the world would "anyone" want to go through all that hassle, and get involved with all the if, ands, and buts, take all those chances?

Doesn't make good sense.

Therefore, the safest and surest way, is to use the axle mounting plate. On a single axle, place the jack on the axle mounting plate, "rearward" of the wheel.

On a tandem axle, the jack can be placed on the axle mounting plate, "between the wheels, or behind the rear wheel."

On a tri-axle trailer, the jack can be placed on the axle mounting plate "between the center and rear wheel, or behind the rear wheel."

And finally, if you need to service a wheel, and have a tandem or tri-axle trailer, you don't need to jack up anything. Simply pulling the trailer up on some tapered 2 x 6's, leaving the wheel under question hanging off the ground, does the job.

Again, why take any unnecessary chances? Do it the safe secure way.

Andy
Old 08-09-2004, 02:37 PM   #11
5 rivets, 1 loose screw

1966 20' Globetrotter
Saginaw County , Michigan
Thanks for the detailed explanation, Andy. Given the importance of the topic, I wonder why Airstream hasn't given it more focus.
Proper jacking procedure is something every owner should know.

May you camp where wind won’t hit you, where snakes won’t bite and bears won’t git you.

Rog0525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 10:01 AM   #12
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
holland , Michigan
On my 04 28 safari it appears to have a axle mounting plate in front and back of the tandems, nothing in the middle. Is this possible?
Old 11-02-2007, 11:49 AM   #13
_

. , .
hi safari 28'...

this was a zombie thread risen...

here is a more recent link with loads of pics too...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f457...eam-18435.html

and a recent post that confirms using the labeled jack points...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/473574-post5.html

to raise JUST ONE tire (with multi axle trailers) a ramp is so simple to use...

traileraid.com

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote