Old 09-27-2008, 04:33 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1957 22' Flying Cloud
Lone Jack , Missouri
'57 Flying Cloud ride height

Lots of talk about sagging rubber axles and ride height but my FC has a drop steel axle w/ leaf springs. I am assuming these are/were original equipment. Fifty year old springs are probably due for replacement but I'm concerned about the correct spring for correct ride height. Attached is a picture--you folks let me know if this is about right. The tires on it are 7.00x15.

Complicating the decision is that when I repacked the wheel bearings to move the trailer I discovered that the right side thread was cross threaded, the bearings dry and blue, and some discoloration of the thread area. I'm not too bright but it appears a new axle should be in my future. I do know enough (know) to avoid waiting for a consensus but a couple of learned opinions would help me along. Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	airstream 010.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	292.3 KB
ID:	68284  

Pop.528

"You better learn it fast; you better learn it young"-John Fogerty
Larry in MO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 04:55 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
Nice FC! While I'll say that I don't personally have leaf springs, I have read that the old leaf springs are longer than can be found new. A lot of people have just rebuilt the springs at a spring shop... it also appears that the bushings need to be rebuilt at the ends. Here's what one person did...1956 Flying Cloud - Axle

I can't remember who else showed how they rebuilt their bushings... but it could have been here http://www.airforums.com/forums/f437...ngs-44301.html

You then buy a new either straight or drop axle for the springs and bolt it on! Personally, I like the look of the drop axle, as the straight axle seems too "tippie toe" to me, but everybody has their own opinion... do as you'd like : )

Yes, I'd do it sooner than later.. blue means that there's been some heat damage done.. probably to the spindle too. You get new brakes and all with the new axle, so you'll be good to go!
Hope that helps.
Marc

Old 09-27-2008, 04:58 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
One more thing.. if you replace your tires with 225/75/15's, you'll be loosing about an 1" in diameter.. so again, slightly lower in height. However, Yokohama makes some 7R(radial, not bias ply) x15's (for sale at the tirerack.com). Weight your trailer first though. Although billed as loadrange D tires, the specs top out at 2085#'s per tire capacity (I think load range D's are usually 2500#'s / tire).

Marc
Old 09-27-2008, 06:18 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1955 22' Safari
Great Lake State , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry in MO View Post
Lots of talk about sagging rubber axles and ride height but my FC has a drop steel axle w/ leaf springs. I am assuming these are/were original equipment. Fifty year old springs are probably due for replacement but I'm concerned about the correct spring for correct ride height. Attached is a picture--you folks let me know if this is about right. The tires on it are 7.00x15.

Complicating the decision is that when I repacked the wheel bearings to move the trailer I discovered that the right side thread was cross threaded, the bearings dry and blue, and some discoloration of the thread area. I'm not too bright but it appears a new axle should be in my future. I do know enough (know) to avoid waiting for a consensus but a couple of learned opinions would help me along. Thanks!
Larry

Very nice FC, here is my thread showing my new axle, hope it helps.
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f36/...-38289-13.html and http://www.airforums.com/forums/f460...nce-45388.html

toastie
Old 09-27-2008, 07:35 PM   #5
Site Team

, Minnesota
I'd say it looks pretty good. I have a '59 Tradewind. The original ride height was 18.5", it has settled down now to about 16.5". It's nice being able to step into the trailer without lowering the step. It's an very soft riding trailer.

Unless you plan to go off-roading, I would leave it as is. You can have the springs re-arched, but that is a termporary fix. It's not too hard to have new springs made, any good sized city will have a spring shop that can measure the old springs and duplicate them. I would not try to replace them with off-the-shelf parts from China.

I had my springs checked and a single leaf added for more weight capacity. Haven't had problem yet.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Axle 035.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	68296