Old 05-31-2007, 08:20 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Arvada , Colorado
21' Globetrotter axle rating

I am in need of a new axle for my 1971, 21' globetrotter. The axle rating is not stamped on the axle data plate. I need to know what the GT weights (mine is gutted) or what the axle rating is?

Old 05-31-2007, 08:51 AM   #2
INSANITY CENTRAL

1986 32' Excella
2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Citrus Heights , California
Kip;
From a table that another member posted (sorry I do not know how to copy it) the dry wt is 3460, tongue wt 420, It's a start. DG
the link to the table is on the thread true weights.

www.popasmoke.com

Proud Appellation American

Vine View Heights is now closed.

YETI ( 65 Quart )

IGLOO (Ice Cube, 50 Quart )
doorgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 11:29 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Here's a link to the chart
Dave

http://www.airstream.com/airstream/p.../weights-1.pdf
Old 05-31-2007, 12:43 PM   #4
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Looking for Goldilocks! Is it just right?

Aerowood,

Another consideration.

Since your unit is gutted, and I am making the assumption that you will be remodeling the inside. (IE adding stuff) You may want to wait on getting new axles untill you can weigh the trailer after it is completed. Since the weight in the chart is what A/S did from the factory, what you are doing may be different. (And may be not) That difference may weigh differently too. So getting a new axle installed may be under or way over what the total load will be when you are done.

Too light of an axle and you will have premature axle failure. Or other failures such as wheel bearings, brakes ......

Too heavy of an axle and the insides could be rattled and possibility rivits will work loose.

Axle replacement for these units can be custom ordered to fit the application. You can get an axle that has a higher or lower weight rating than what it was originally built, with in reason.

And when you can determine the greatest load that the trailer will ever have, add 10% and then spec out your axle for that number. Why 10%? Because as trailers age they do the same thing as I have done as I age. They gain weight! The 10% is a good cushion for safety.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 05-31-2007, 02:55 PM   #5
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerowood
I am in need of a new axle for my 1971, 21' globetrotter. The axle rating is not stamped on the axle data plate. I need to know what the GT weights (mine is gutted) or what the axle rating is?
The posted charts, unfortunately, do not give the axle rating.

The original axle rating for a 71 21 foot Airstream, is 4500 pounds.

You can, using caution as to having an adequate pay load, increase it to 5000 pounds.

However, that increase will cause a stiff ride for the shell, unless you load the trailer above normal.

If you wish to stay with the original Airstream design, then stay with the 4500 pounds.

You can also increase the starting angle beyond the original 25 degress, but within reason.

Andy
Old 05-31-2007, 05:58 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Arvada , Colorado
Thanks eveyone for the good info. I,m shooting for around 3000lbs empty weight but I'm sure it will creep up. I just needed a good starting place. I'm going to change the floorplan somewhat from stock but it will be light using foam and honeycomb panels just about everywhere I can, but I know how weight can creep up. I want to use the trailer this fall without alot of the interior installed yet so weighting after completion will be difficult. The rubber on my torsion arms is as hard as a rock, and I do not want to vibrate all of my new metal work apart. I am surprised that the original was rated for 4500lbs. I won't even consider a 5000lb unit. I was expecting somewhere in the 4000lb bracket. Thanks Again

Kip