Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Axles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-10-2016, 05:49 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
2017 23FB Flying Cloud HAS Finally entered the Big Time!

Today I looked over closely a 2017 23FB Flying Cloud in my driveway. The new owner, initials TomN, was pleased to hear my surprise what has been said about the 23 foot getting an upgrade is TRUE. The sticker on the side indicates the tires are 14" Marathons... not 15". I almost found it unnecessary to bend over and read the embossed tire dimensions... but did it upon a closer, second look.

A 2017 23FB Flying Cloud made in June 2016 had a complete set and spare that were 15" Marathon D Rated tires and the axles have the same parts number as my 2014 25 Foot International with the larger brake shoes.

Maybe those of you who DO or DID NOT own a 23 foot Airstream with the 14" Load Range C Marathon tires were absolute TRASH... Airstream finally stepped up (unless this is an expensive upgrade). The 23 foot Airstream is the shortest and lightest of the double axles available today. By upgrading the axles and tires to 15", these trailers can, possibly, be upgraded further to 16" wheels and E Rated tires... and maybe not even necessary with many 15" tire options that are currently available.

For Boondockers the 23 foot is eight feet wide, lighter no doubt than the 25 foot I own... yet has the D Rated Marathons and the same axles as my 25 footer. Most likely the same axles all the way up to the largest Airstreams!

The cabinets are of similar construction as my 2006 Safari, with the curved doors with the spring hinges. They never failed on our 2006. The Queen sized bed finally has found a home in this trailer.

Tires & Axles. For those who do not need a 25 foot Airstream or larger... the 23 foot Airstreams may have finally been 'fixed at Jackson Center'. It might cut into the sales of the 25 foot models... but Airstream is not pricing the 23 footer at Rock Bottom prices, either.

When I advertised my 2006 23 foot Safari on Craigs List at just below what others at other City's were asking... I had five interested, one buyer and one standing next to the trailer in my garage waiting to hear that the 'buyer' could not come up with the money... Only 28 foot Airstreams were available, when I was selling it myself, in the Denver area in 2014. This is how popular the 23 foot Airstreams are to many needing a great trailer, but something not too big.

I love this trailer... and I am not even the owner.