Old 02-28-2007, 12:29 PM   #57
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona

I bet the cost diff would be something on the order of $100 to $500. However the mind set is in a whole different world. Enter the world of manufacturing and marketing. $500 over a 1000 units is $500,000. Saving a 1/2 mill is kinda a neat deal. AND if the (MSRP) retail pricing is near a thresh hold A/S may have thought gotta trim cost to keep the total reatil price (MSRP) below a certain # so it can be advertised at $XX. Cause more units can be sold at that price than $500 more. And in the final negoiations with a buyer and a dealer, $500 is chump change. However it makes a diff when spread over many units or when marketing to the masses against real or percieved competition.

A bit off topic. In a past life I worked for a company that has a blue oval for a logo. I worked in the divison that focuses on parts and service out in the field. Back in that time frame I was involved in a small project with a 4 cylinder engine in small cars. And pleasing some owners that experienced a shorter than expected life on those engines.
The reason?????? A suggestion was taken on these engines after many years of building these engines to omit drilling an oil hole during manufacturing. The suggestion was made as it was determined it really wasn't needed. Cost savings less than a $1 per engine. May be even pennies. Spread over a several hundred thousand engines in may be 5 years. The suggestion was reasearched and determined it would work. In the end, those engines were prone to failure if the owners were marginal on oil/filter changes or ran the cars under a little harder use. And these were engines used in a low end car line. The kind of car line that doesn't always get the best of care. Result!!! Some of those engines built in that time frame didn't make it to see 50,000 miles. The engine failures started occuring after 40,000 miles and later. It was a marginal call that saved $ upfront and in the end cost a lot of $ and goodwill to make amends. I am sure some previous owners never came back after that experience even though they may have been reimbursed totally.

1966 Mercury Park Lane 4 DR Breezeway 410 4V, C-6, 2.80 - Streamless.
1966 Lincoln 4 door Convertible 462 4V 1971 Ford LTD Convertible 429 4V Phoenix ~ Yeah it's hot however it's a dry heat!
Action is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 01:47 PM   #58
2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
All great questions there. It's funny, they spend the $$ putting in these digital tank sensors because they are better (and I am sure at a cost, however slight, over the previous units). None of the Airstream line, even the Basecamp (for what you get) I would consider entry level. I suppose I just find myself asking how this is a premium product if they too nickel and dime it. The NCC on the shorter Airstreams is pretty meager. I'm sure it's not limited to Airstreams either and that other "premium" models and brands do the same thing, letting the bean counters drive me, that's a scary thought, but a reality as you pointed out.

Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote