Old 08-09-2006, 01:50 PM   #29
Rivet Master

I got the callfrom Airstream. Basically, the trailer is what it is. On data the plate, it states the GVW 3500 lbs. Max capacity is 3500 lb. That's it. No other information other than date built, and the VIN number.

So, we will use the Quick Silver for what we originally bought it for, a bathroom for our building in which it is stored.

Old 08-09-2006, 01:56 PM   #30
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coloradobus
I got the callfrom Airstream. Basically, the trailer is what it is. On data the plate, it states the GVW 3500 lbs. Max capacity is 3500 lb. That's it. No other information other than date built, and the VIN number.

So, we will use the Quick Silver for what we originally bought it for, a bathroom for our building in which it is stored.
well there IS a weight certificate INSIDE the unit and it does have more info on it...but it is still likely to show you purchased a unit with limited carry capacity...it is a litty bitty thing.

but if you really did purchase it just for the bathroom....
why not put a big old toilet and sink and shower/tub in side...

the latrine edition!!!

cheers
2air'
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	new toilet design.JPG
Views:	87
Size:	88.0 KB
ID:	24506   Click image for larger version

Name:	latrine.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	80.7 KB
ID:	24507  

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 02:08 PM   #31
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
So at 3500 total pounds and in towing trim, (as weighed on the scale) you have 540 pounds available for food and clothes. This would leave you with no safety margin. The rig is designed for it. So use it to that limit and don't exceed. If you can get 540 pounds easily, I would take it for a test tow and see how it reacts at the max towing limit.

Does it handle well? (Sway at speed or other issues)
How is the braking?
Is changing lanes an issue?

If all is well on your test run, then be good with it. Keep tires inflated to max pressure always.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 08-09-2006, 02:18 PM   #32
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
At 16' there is not much room for much else. It has the wet bath. Not sure I'd want to take a shower in it. (Which is like my boat. It has a wet bath too. I have never taken a shower in there in my 10 years of ownership)

http://www.airstream.com/product_lin...mbi_plans.html

My issue would be the lack of a refer. No cold beverages!!! Oh my!

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 08-09-2006, 03:15 PM   #33
Rivet Master

Action,
The Quick Silver is equipped like most other current A/S. Stove, Frig, H20 Heater, furnace, A/C fancy TV etc. No microwave. Oh well, we bought because, instead of spending beaucoup $$$$$ restoring another vintage trailer, for about the same money, bingo the Bambi. Our building, really, doesn't have bath facilities (its plumbed and cut in) but we haven't gone the final step. When we sell it, whoever buys it, would tear out whatever we build to suit themselves. It "CAN" be an office.. So we just leave it as is.
I will admit, it is easier to pull out the B-Van and dump it, than the Quicksilver, with a little more fuss. Bambi Quick Silver will stay out of the weather, and will live a cushy life. I will work all its function once a month like I do the rest. Maybe in 50 years, we can get our money back.
Old 08-09-2006, 03:36 PM   #34
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
A bit off the original topic.

Looking at the floorplans from A/S it looked like the Quick Silver model had no refer, water heater, furnace or sink. The bath area looked like a comode in an enclosure that doubles as a shower. If you have no comode, I might suggest a portapottie. I used one in my 1st boat. (A 19' cuddy) It was actually an acceptable alternative to a full blown crapper. The emptying part was kind of a drag.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 08-09-2006, 03:59 PM   #35
_

. , .
nah action ...

the q/s has all those things...

i was in the factory when they pre building these units....

go to the a/s site and they have interior pics of the model

fridge under range...just no microwave...

regular wet bat...if small is regular...

problem is the q/s model
has polynesian god heads for drawer/door knobs..
8-10 of em....
and these must weigh 15-20 lbs each!

you know they even have a surfboard rack that mounts on the top/side...imagine what it and a couple of boards does to the ncc dude!

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 05:14 PM   #36
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Again way off topic (And I am a mod ...... hmmm)

I gues that is why I like older products of every thing. To compete in the most current market place all manufacturers have the battle of keeping the lowest MSRP to attract the buying public. And make a profit. And put out a product that will be viewed favorably by the public.

So the manufacturing/marketing battle becomes ....... How small can we make the margin (in this case the GVWR) and still be viable in the market place. With the precision of modern day manufacturing the margins in product creation can be very tight.

OK enough off topic from me.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 08-09-2006, 08:30 PM   #37
Rivet Master

1986 32' Excella
Aurora , Colorado
Hello Coloradobus,

You need to talk to Bill Payne about the axle, wheels, tires carrying capacity. He just upgraded his axles at Jackson Center today. The explanation he was given from the factory for the discrepancy is that they subtract the weight that goes onto the hitch. That's where they find the safety margin. But all things being equal the carrying capacity of Airstreams has been criticized by the trailer industry for many years.
Old 08-10-2006, 12:45 AM   #38
3 Rivet Member

2005 16' International CCD
Ogden , Utah
I believe my 16' CCD is pretty similar to the QS, and it has all the 'amenities' of the larger trailers, just everything is smaller (fridge, bath, etc).

I use mine a lot, and would not hesitate to use yours how you want to. So long as you carry any heavy stuff in the tow vehicle, just to be conservative on the safety margin, I don't expect to have any trouble with mine, and will use it for extended trips in a few years when I retire. Carrying the 20 gallons of drinking water, the canned goods, the generator, the kayaks, and the firewood in the back of the pickup is just a trade off for the overall smaller trailer size. It tows great, doesn't use much extra gas on a trip, no sway from semis, and fits into any Forest Service campsite I want to!

I will keep a keen eye on the tires - good advice for any load.

My advice, try it out and give it a chance, you'll likely be just fine. Lots of us have the 16' and they are working out without trouble.

Just my opinion. But I'm wishing you good luck!
Old 08-10-2006, 12:56 AM   #39
Rivet Master

Hey Forrest,

Bill called this morning to tell me what was going on. He probably told you he stopped them from making a mistake with mislabled wheels. Seems they were replacing his old 2200 lbs cap. wheels with new that were to be 2600 lbs. A palate of 1820 lbs wheels had been missed mark. Whooops!
Well, we didint' buy the Bambi for rountine use. In lieu of Bills incident, I wanted to see what A/S would say about our axle and trailer weight.

Oh ya, 2Air, I check the closet door for the weight card. They had given this trailer a "CCC" of 86lbs. They also posted it could carry 31 gallons of water.
Hmmm, last time I added 23 fresh and 6(hotwater heater)= I got 29. Must be something in the water??;-)))
Old 08-10-2006, 04:05 PM   #40
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coloradobus
They also posted it could carry 31 gallons of water.
Hmmm, last time I added 23 fresh and 6(hotwater heater)= I got 29. Must be something in the water??;-)))
One or all of the waste tanks? However a 2 gal waste tank aint much use.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 11-20-2006, 07:56 PM   #41
Rivet Master

lmjiii, 2 Air, Action.

Checking on the closet door, our Q/S has a net carrying capacity of 84lbs, factoring out water, LP, and all the options.
2 Air asked earlier what I had hoped Airstream would do or say?? Volunteer to upgrade our axle under warranty so we can be assured safety while travelling down the highway. We travel on paved surfaces, only, unless campgrounds roads are gravel, or dirt.
I'll try again tomorrow and stir the pot a bit at Jackson Center.
Old 01-03-2007, 07:42 PM   #42
4 Rivet Member

2006 16' International CCD
New York , New York
After a bit of contemplation I've decided to go for it. I don't really need 4300lbs, but I'm tired of living on the edge at 3480 lbs without water. And wondering if my 1850lb/C rated tires will blow if I have to hit 75 to avoid being smushed between a pair of semis.

And so I'm scheduled to go to Jackson Center to get the axle/wheel/tire/disc brake upgrade on Feb 13th and 14th. I'll let you all know how it goes.

enjoy,
leo

(ps pardon for the multiple postings...the 16' Bambi GVWR issue had a few threads)