Old 08-08-2006, 09:44 AM   #15
Rivet Master

RDM16CCD,

I will let you know. Do you run with water in your tank? Have you weighed your trailer?

Old 08-08-2006, 12:13 PM   #16
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Coloradobus,

Good luck to you and do post the data that JC has for you.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action

Old 08-08-2006, 01:00 PM   #17
Rivet Master

We are still waiting to hear.
Old 08-08-2006, 05:44 PM   #18
Rivet Master

Not a word yet from Airstream Customer Service/
Old 08-08-2006, 08:44 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

2005 16' International CCD
Ogden , Utah
CO Bus
While on the road I keep enough fresh water in the tank to use for that day, but no more. Mostly we do dry camping, and I fill the tank at the campground for use in the shower and sink. We use the campground toilets not the trailer, so we can empty the gray water from the waste tank (since the 16' just has the single tank).

I have not weighed the trailer, but I weighed EVERYTHING that goes into it, and I'm below 3500 if the label in the wardrobe is accurate. Anything that even looks heavy goes into the truck. I knew there was little extra weight capacity when we bought it, and I figure it's loaded as light as I can load it, so I just use it and don't worry about it. I do check the tire pressues each day, and will replace the tires at the first sign of weathering or at 5 years.

I started a thread last winter to see if anyone had ideas about how to increase the load capacity (different axle, or wheels & tires, etc), but got a lot of mixed responses, so I just minimize the load and use it as I must.

I would gladly have paid more for the trailer up front, to get more load capacity. I don't think Airstream should market a unit that doesn't have at least 500 to 600 pounds of extra stuff in addition to the wet weight, with ALL factory options, etc. Just my opinion. Please let us know what you learn from A/S about this
Old 08-08-2006, 10:12 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2004 16' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
I have a 16CCD. We try to travel as little as possible with water in the tanks. But I have gone down the interstate with a full tank. I have also gone way back in the woods with a full water tank - and on roads that were pretty marginal at best. (I have had to use 4WD to get back out on a few occassions). No problems.

But now I have that "better lucky than good" feeling.

I'm really interested in what AS has to say.

Thanks for the thread.

The People from the Pod
pod people is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 11:07 PM   #21
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coloradobus
I have been a bit suspicious about our Quick Silver's weight carrying capacity. Now that I have weighed the trailer, I am concerned.

A/S webiste says:

UBW: 2825 lbs
NCC: 675 lbs (doesn't include options, fluids, personal effects
Tongue wt 430 lbs(doesn't include options, fluids, personal effects.

Checking with Dexter, our axle is rated at 3500 lbs with a 22.5 degree down angle.
Bambi on scale by itself............................................ .. 3,480 lbs
curbside tire on scale hooked to truck, no load leveling bars1,380 lbs
roadside tire on scale hooked to truck, no bars,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,1,540 lbs
Tongue weight. just tonguejack on scale...........................500 lbs
Trailer on scale hooked to truck.....................................2,960 lbs.
hi colorado bus...

you are correct in thinking this issue out...
i too would want to carry a little more,
and have some percentage under the ratings
for trailer, axle, wheels, brakes, tires....

i understand calling the factory for info...
but what is it exactly you are hoping they will say or do?

do you have a certificate/sticker for load issues inside the trailer somewhere?

what does it list for the ubw, ncc, gvwr?

the website/flyer info is always suspect imo. never rely on it...

and i agree since all the q/s models were built the same...exact figures for this model should be easy.

didn't you realize you were buying a unit with only 5-600lbs for lp, water, options and everything else?

now IF the weight certificate is way off from your figures...you might have a case for the factory to provide relief (upgrade your trailer or replace it)

but if you knowingly purchased a unit that can only carry 500lbs...why are you surprized by the weigh in figures? i am not trying to pick on ya but this was a pricey purchase....it is a little late to get suspicious...

now some thougts on the numbers...

axle capacity is 3500...your weight 3480...BUT axles don't carry wheels, tires, brakes or the axles...right? so subtract some estimate for the runny gear...say 300lbs. now you've got a little more margin on the axle capacity.

still by the time you add personal effects, food and the w/d transfer...you will be right back at the limits...

imo w/d gear does transfer some load fore and aft..how much? gotta weight it again with bars tightened. the books all say w/d ideally does 1/3 frt, 1/3 rear, 1/3 trailer..but with a scale handy just measure it.

canoe stream is correct w/d bars didn't transfer weight to my triple axle....but the really long frame is an issue, using only 1000lb bars is an issue...and so on.

on a single 16 some tranfered/added weight will be measured at the trailer axles...

now you are towing with a 3/4 ton truck? i realize the class 4 receiver states '500 max without w/d... so another option is got to a class 5 receiver with a higher tongue rating, and skip the w/d bars but still use sway control...just an idea.

the whole 'ncc' issue has been around awhile...a/s actually built 34ft triple axles trailers...with a ncc of lest than 900lbs...

in your situation, and if i really really wanted a q/s...i'd upgrade the axles to 5000lbs, add 15 inch wheels and disc brakes and properly rated tires...then fill it with water, food, clothes, sand, surfboards...or whatever.

i don't think the ride issue would negatively affect this 16ft model...and the added ratings would provide safety and comforts....besides using at or over the ratings IS gonna be a negative anyway right? so get a harsher ride either way...but at least you could carry more and be safer..right?

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 11:12 PM   #22
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDM16CCD

I started a thread last winter to see if anyone had ideas about how to increase the load capacity (different axle, or wheels & tires, etc), but got a lot of mixed responses, so I just minimize the load and use it as I must.

I would gladly have paid more for the trailer up front, to get more load capacity. I don't think Airstream should market a unit that doesn't have at least 500 to 600 pounds of extra stuff in addition to the wet weight, with ALL factory options, etc. Just my opinion. Please let us know what you learn from A/S about this

rdm16ccd...hey did you ever call the factory or dealer and get a price on higher capacity axles, wheels , brakes and so on?

reads like you did not go ahead with these additions...the responses here may have been mixed, and as i recall you did not every get a weigh in? i still stand by increasing axle capacity, larger wheels, disc brakes and uprated tires....

i agree with your frustrations toward the factory and wimpy load limits..
but you knew these limits before the purchase right?...

they can market whatever they want...
we can buy whatever we want....

what they cannot do is deceive us on the true weight, limits, capacity and so on....

again that is WHY we have the stickers inside...

cheers
2air'
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	weight certificate.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	121.5 KB
ID:	24491  

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
Old 08-08-2006, 11:37 PM   #23
3 Rivet Member

2005 16' International CCD
Ogden , Utah
Hi 2air
I decided to not sweat the upgrade right now. It's easier with my setup just to put the extra stuff in the back of the truck, and it's hard to feel good about making such a mod to a trailer that is still so new. I do wish A/S would just design with more carrying capacity - there is kind of a minimum load that everyone puts in regardless of the overall trailer length, and we should have that amount to work with even with EVERY factory option installed (my opinion again). I like the trailer, it pulls great, and I'd do the deal over again. We just shouldn't have to worry about these limits for what an Airstream costs, they could/should be designed with plenty of capacity (rant is over ).
Bob
Old 08-09-2006, 08:51 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2Air,

I think part of your observation is a bit flawed. You can't subtact the total weight of the axle out of the equation. The axle itself jmust support itself. The axle must be supported by the torsional arms, so that weight must be retained with the total trailer weight. Now, one can probably take the wheels, brakes etc off the tablle snice they on the ground. I still believe A/S should match the capacity of the tires (1870 lbs max ea, and the wheels, 1900 max cap ea.) and mate them to at least a 3,800 lbs axle. That was my question to them the other day. Still haven't heard anything this a.m., tho.
Old 08-09-2006, 12:12 PM   #25
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Coloradobus,

Is there a sticker or weight rating plate on your trailer? If so what is the GVWR?

>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 08-09-2006, 12:48 PM   #26
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coloradobus
2Air,I think part of your observation is a bit flawed. You can't subtact the total weight of the axle out of the equation..
coloradobus...

sure it's flawed...that is why there is a question mark? in the sentence.

i don't know if you can subtract any or all of the running gear. i bring this up because my gvwr is 11,500 but my tire ratings and axle rating don't match this figure..exactly. iirc mine has 3-3800lb axles which equals 11400...less than the gvwr. also my tire capacity is greater than the axle capacity...so i asked about this too ...and recall something about subtracting part of the running gear....

as i asked and action repeated...do you have a weight certification inside the trailer or a tag riveted to the outside? what are the figures?

so your hope is that a/s will replace your axles with a higher rating?
glad to see you go for it....
and good luck.

imo you also need bigger brakes...which means bigger wheels/tires.
i have now seen 3 newer 16s jack knife behind tv's which out braked' them...
get the discs....

cheers
2air'

Old 08-09-2006, 12:58 PM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
My 31 foot Airstream weighs 6800. I upgraded the axles from 3200# units to 3500#. My original axles lasted over 30 years, you should not have to worry about yours, in my opinion. As long as the load rating on the tires is correct, you should have no problems.

Quote:
imo you also need bigger brakes...which means bigger wheels/tires.
i have now seen 3 newer 16s jack knife behind tv's which out braked' them...
get the discs....
Provided the electric brake controller was adjusted right, which most folks seldom do.
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 01:12 PM   #28
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
In my experience the axle rating will be slightly greater that Gross Vehicle Weight Rating. And tires will be much greater than either of those figures. No matter what the vehicle might be. ~Car/Truck/Trailer~ Unless the manufactire/dealer/distributor wants to get cheap. And then they get cheap on the tires as to width or weight rating.

I believe Lee Iacocca said about the need for tires of the then Ford and LM product. We want them round, black and cheap. And the first two don't count.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action