Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Axles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-06-2004, 02:15 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2004 25' International CCD
Stone Mountain , Georgia
2004 Recall Notice

I just recieved a safety recall notice on certain 2004 Airstream Classic, International, and Safari trailers with Henschen brand axles manufactured in the 2004 model year.

Apparently the outer wheel bearing in the hub of the axle may fail.

I will have to call to see about having this looked at, and in the future I will post any further experiences that I may have in regards to this issue.

i.e. How the dealer handles the recall in terms of turn around time, etc.

It is never fun to have to haul the trailer in for service, but I guess safety comes first. I would hate to see one of my wheels pass me while driving along.

Andy
Old 11-06-2004, 02:39 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Western , Oregon
I got the letter from Airstream also.....but saying 2004 22' units are NOT included in this recall.

2017 28' Signature CCD

2017 GMC Denali HD Crew Cab 4x4
Blue Ox Sway Pro Hitch

WBCCI #3538
jordandvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2004, 03:02 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Field and Stream , PA & MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyfuson
I just recieved a safety recall notice on certain 2004 Airstream Classic, International, and Safari trailers with Henschen brand axles manufactured in the 2004 model year.

Apparently the outer wheel bearing in the hub of the axle may fail.

I will have to call to see about having this looked at, and in the future I will post any further experiences that I may have in regards to this issue.

i.e. How the dealer handles the recall in terms of turn around time, etc.

It is never fun to have to haul the trailer in for service, but I guess safety comes first. I would hate to see one of my wheels pass me while driving along.

Andy

Andy -

I didn't get a recall notice on my 2004 30' Classic. I will be on the lookout for it though.

I wonder if this has anything to do with some of these axles leaving the factory with insufficient grease on the wheel bearings, as mine, and I believe others trailers, did?

I'd be interested to know what is believed to be the cause for the outer wheel bearing in the hub of the axle to fail. I wonder if this is due to insufficient grease?

Also, it seems to me like Airstream or Henschen ought to go to the owners' homes to perform the repair, rather than requiring owners to incur the considerable expense of taking their trailers to dealers, or elsewhere.

John
Old 11-06-2004, 03:10 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

Richmond , Virginia
Wonder why AS has not posted the recall notice on its website? Don't make much since.

WBCCI #2468
2006 Ford F-150 Lariart 4X4
2004 19' Bambi Safari LS
luckydc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2004, 03:21 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2021 27' Globetrotter
Saint Louis , Missouri
Andy,

Thanks for posting this. I'm taking my 28' CCD in Monday for some warranty work. I didn't receive the notice but will ask about it. Even though my trailer is a 2004, it was built in 2003. I wonder if that makes a difference.

Dennis
cosmotini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2004, 03:36 PM   #6
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Too late for some

We had a unit member with a 6-month old 30 Limited lose a wheel in East Texas a few weeks ago. All of his bearings were greased very lightly. Airstream is currently shipping him a new axle and the entire trailer lower side will have to be replaced.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2004, 04:43 PM   #7
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
That's about the last thing I needed to hear.

Looks like my trip to Jackson Center is gonna happen sooner than later.

I have yet to get any notice, however, our Safari was built in December of 2003 as a 2004 model. I have no plans on moving the Safar before springi, so I'll sit tight to see if something comes in the mail, if not, I'll give 'em a call.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2004, 04:50 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordandvm
I got the letter from Airstream also.....but saying 2004 22' units are NOT included in this recall.
Yay! Nice when something goes my way.

Good luck all.
67caravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2004, 04:52 PM   #9
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Mine was OK

After my friend lost a wheel, I rushed mine in for a repack (it was due anyway). Mine was built spring of 2003 and the bearings had plenty of grease, although not as much as the tech used for the repack.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2004, 06:20 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Field and Stream , PA & MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahaska
After my friend lost a wheel, I rushed mine in for a repack (it was due anyway). Mine was built spring of 2003 and the bearings had plenty of grease, althousg not as much as the tech used for the repack.
That's terrible news about your friend.

Dave Schumann at Airstream told me in the middle of this past summer that Henschen had formerly been putting too much grease in the axle bearings with resultant problems so Airstream asked them to reduce the amount.

At the end of June this year, during a meeting I had with several managers at Jackson Center, during which we discussed my concerns regarding insufficient grease in my wheel bearings, I was told that Airstream does not inspect any purchased components (including these axles) before installing them on trailers, and shipping them to unsuspecting customers. So, until and if problems are later incurred, such as you friend loosing a wheel, Airstream wouldn't know whether these axles left the plant with some or no grease in the axles.

I asked Schumann, and others, at Airstream to reimburse me the nominal cost I incurred to get my wheel bearings greased on trailer, which was virtually brand new at that time, and was told (basically) to "shove it."

I would never even have thought to check the grease on my bearings, except I got an email from another person on this board, for which I am very grateful (he also had axle/bearing problems with his new trailer).

John
Old 11-06-2004, 09:52 PM   #11

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Let's see if we can narrow this down to model and build date of the trailer. If you get the letter, please post your trailer model and the month it was built.

Regards,

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2004, 10:21 PM   #12
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I agree with Jack, though I am deeply concerned about this, currently, our Safari is in "dry dock". We have no plans to move it until spring. Matter of fact, I'm doing the final prep for the winter this weekend.

I'm going to just sit tight and see where the chips may fall. If I hear nothing from Airstream in a few weeks, I'll call or email them with my VIN to see if our coach is effected and add that to the laundry list of items that need some tweaking.
Old 11-06-2004, 10:29 PM   #13
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
BTW, I just did a search...Andy got his coach in 9/2003 (which means it was built prior to 1/04 and at least 9/03 or a bit sooner) so that means to me that if he got the notice, that units made in 2003 as 2004 model year coaches might also be effected. Here is the link where Andy just picked up his coach:

http://www.airforums.com/forum...ead.php?t=6812
Old 11-07-2004, 05:45 AM   #14
AND MAC TOO

Wonder if they thought about the people that has purchased replacement axles? We just put our's in about 2 weeks ago. We looked to make sure that they had enough grease, Because you never know. I just wonder what time frame this happened. Them baby's are high and I'm sure that Henschen isn't going to contact anyone. I just wonder if they will contact Andy at Inland.

I work at a trailer mfg. and I know that when we have a problems with any of the components that are not manufacted by us we take it up with the supplier and then it get taken care of.
Old 11-07-2004, 09:30 AM   #15
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jalina
Wonder if they thought about the people that has purchased replacement axles? We just put our's in about 2 weeks ago. We looked to make sure that they had enough grease, Because you never know. I just wonder what time frame this happened. Them baby's are high and I'm sure that Henschen isn't going to contact anyone. I just wonder if they will contact Andy at Inland.
All good questions. If you hear from Andy at Inland, please be sure to post your findings. I am sure that Heschen knows what serial numbers are effected.
Old 11-07-2004, 09:34 AM   #16
LEV ZEPPELIN

2004 19' International CCD
Chicago , Illinois
...I sense a headache approaching....

Jonathan
Old 11-07-2004, 09:55 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
1964 26' Overlander
1977 25' Tradewind
Eastern , Washington
Well, this sounds like one of those winter projects.
The way I figure this is if I wait for anyone to contact me, shame on me.
Now the problem is out in the open it's time to act.
I guess, I'm one of the lucky ones (or unlucky) I do my own maintenance.
Hi Ho Hi Ho a repacking I will go.

Sorry
Old 11-07-2004, 11:33 AM   #18
3 Rivet Member

Our 2004 16 footer had no dust cap on the hub by the time it seized up and shatterred the wheel/hub, so who can say how much grease may have originally been there. We then drove the thing up the Alcan. Jeez, when I think what might have happened..... Anyway, AS was very accomodating and paid for the fix, but I wonder if we will get the recall notice. While at it, they might add something about the overhead cabinets needing to be checked for proper attachment. Its suprising that for all of the legal warning and advisory stickers stuck with apparent enthusiasm all over the TT, nothing is said anywhere (including the manual) on the weight limitations for these cabinets. My bet: someone tries to sleep a kid up there.
frozen chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2004, 02:24 PM   #19
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertwinkie
All good questions. If you hear from Andy at Inland, please be sure to post your findings. I am sure that Heschen knows what serial numbers are effected.
Since we got our replacement axle at the end of September of '03, I will be giving him an email. When I inspected mine before installation, I noticed there was not much grease in there, almost to the point of being nonexistant. I added some, and have had no problems. If the problem is the bearing itself, (ie: wrong temper of the steel bearings) a repack won't help.
Terry
Old 11-07-2004, 03:30 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

2000 31' Land Yacht
I can confirm that some earlier units had way too much grease in the bearings. My 2002 25 ft Safari SS was built in November of 2001. I recently pulled the wheels to pack the bearings, for the first time, at about 14000 miles. All four bearings had way too much grease, and some had gotten past the seals. I can understand Airstream complaining about too much grease. What I don't understand is why Airstream doesn't check a couple of axles from each shipment to be sure that what they get is correct. Depending on suppliers is fine, but you have to check occasionally to be sure that they are doing the job correctly.
jimmickle is offline   Reply With Quote