Old 11-17-2004, 07:46 PM   #71
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Hays County , Texas
Not only Airstream

This last weekend, a big new 5th-wheel came into the RV park where I was staying. A wheel bearing had failed and the wheel had come off and damaged the water heater, which was in a slideout, tearing off the door. The wheel had then destroyed the whole lower side of the trailer behind the slideout. He spent the next hour covering and taping the opening in the slideout where the water heater door had been.

WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2004, 10:26 PM   #72
2 Rivet Member

Calif. RV Fontana Calif.

My '04 19' Bambi was recalled. Took it to Calif. RV in Fontana Calif.the very next weekend. It seemed to have enough grease on the bearings but it was the red grease that I heard did not stand up well. They replaced it with regular wheel bearing grease. This is a great place and do quality work, got me in right away and took care of the problem. Highly recommended.

Old 12-14-2004, 09:35 AM   #73
Pet Sitter Extraordinaire

1975 27' Overlander
Chattanooga , Tennessee
Andy,

Just checking to see if you ever got your recall taken care of? Even though it is cold, I would hate to think you are out of commission still.
Air #2757
1989 SquareStream (Annie #8)
kposey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2004, 10:19 AM   #74
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
2004 Recall Notice

My '78 Minuet was fitted with a new Henschen axle during the time period when the recalled axles were produced. During my regular Fall maintenance appointment, my dealer, Ace Fogdall RV (who had installed the replacement axle for me), inspected the axle and determined that it had been assembled properly with the correct grease. It wasn't clear whether any of the replacement axles were subject to the problem, but I felt it was an instance of "better safe than sorry".

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC/Free Wheelers #6359
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.11 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2004, 01:57 PM   #75
3 Rivet Member

2004 25' International CCD
Stone Mountain , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by kposey
Andy,

Just checking to see if you ever got your recall taken care of? Even though it is cold, I would hate to think you are out of commission still.
Hi Kathy,

Thanks for thinking of me.

No, I never did deal with it. I got so frustrated with the dealer not calling me back, and I was going to call Airstream to see if I can take it to another RV place close to where I live.

We still took the trailer down to FDR state park earlier this month. I wont let the recall ground me. Who knows, it may be fine. I guess I will try to deal with it after X-mas.

Hope your still getting out there.

Andy
Old 12-14-2004, 06:31 PM   #76
BAUXITE

2004 25' Classic
homosassa , Florida
2004 Recall notice

Too much and wrong kind. Guess I was one of the lucky ones. Got stuck on both ends. Had a 02 Safari and when I went to have wheels packed, they advised that the seals were leaking and grease was all over the drums. They were suprised to learn the trailer brakes were working. Purchased a 04 Classic last year and by now you know that I did not have enough or the wrong kind of grease. Good news is no accident in either case.
Old 04-20-2005, 08:55 PM   #77
1 Rivet Member

broken axle

Back in August of last year we were returning home from a cross country trip. Another driver advised us that our wheel was rubbling. Road side assistance came out and advised us that our axle was broken. Trailer was towed to Airstream of AK and axle was replace. Airstream of AK did an excellent job. Problem was caused by lack of grease in the bearings.
Old 04-20-2005, 09:05 PM   #78
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
1964 26' Overlander
1977 25' Tradewind
Eastern , Washington
I purchased an axle for an Argosy in 2004 and Henschen did not even bother to contact me, let alone respond to my email.
The grease they had used was a little less than a teaspoon per wheel.
I did wash all of the grease they used and replaced it with some I purchased from NAPA parts.
If you have not washed all of that grease from your axels do it now, or take a chance on loseing your axle.
Old 07-08-2005, 01:40 PM   #79
3 Rivet Member

We had our recall work done this week. It was handled capably by Airstream of Wisconsin and they also located a brake problem. Thanks to them.
2004 Ford Excursion 6.0 PSD PWRSTRK,
and Brittany, the Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever
PWRSTRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2005, 09:08 PM   #80
4 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
an interesting comment by A/S at the recent International Rally, was that, as of that week all A/S would start having Dexter alxes. One might wonder why?
Best,

Bogfrog & Mr. Turbo

If in life you stumble, make it part of the dance
WayWard Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2005, 10:37 PM   #81
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
AE,

Saw your post on the other thread and immed thought of the recall.

I have no idea what the difference is in a Dexter axle vs. the hench axle, but I will say this, Don on the tour is gonna have to modify his speech when he talks about the torsion axle (a wee bit).
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2005, 10:51 PM   #82
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Hays County , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertwinkie
I have no idea what the difference is in a Dexter axle vs. the hench axle, but I will say this, Don on the tour is gonna have to modify his speech when he talks about the torsion axle (a wee bit).
The Dexter and Henschen axles are so similar that you would have to look at the label to tell the diference. Airstream has been using Dexter axles on the 22' trailers for at least the last 4 years. Dexter has been providing brake assemblies all along.

Henschen is a poor stepchild of a big conglomerate while Dexter is in the axle business pure and simple. I suspect that Dexter has economy of quantity and simply underbid Henschen for the axle contract.

Don is way off when he waves that axle model with the gear-shaped center rod and claims that is what makes Henschen axles unique and better than Dexter. When I toured the Henschen plant at last year's Homeoming, all center rods they were building were square. I asked the tour guide about the gear-shaped rod and he told me that Henschen had used the gear-shaped rods very briefly in the past, but they were terribly expensive to manufacture and proved to be no better operationally than the simple square rod. Someone whould divest Don of that obsolete model. I meant to go back and tell him to check into it, but had no opportunity.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2005, 10:58 PM   #83
4 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
Greaseless in 04

Comment came as somewhat of a suprise to me, but then all things considered, maybe it's the best. I think A/S is probably correct when they don't inspect for grease prior to installing the axles, as they probablyshould come from the supplier ready to mount. In this case perhaps the squeaky wheel didn't get the grease. Also I thought A/S had the "rights" to the axle setup or is that available to all?
Best,

Bogfrog & Mr. Turbo

If in life you stumble, make it part of the dance
WayWard Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2005, 12:01 AM   #84
3 Rivet Member

wilco: that dealer didin't even know who wally bayum was,when i posed a question to them...also i think airstream charges way way to much