Old 11-07-2004, 08:23 PM   #29
4 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
Probably overkill. but for my own peace of mind, I'd hustle over to the nearest RV repair & have the bearings checked. I'd do it myself, but if indeed there is a problem, it would have been discovered by a "certified " tech. Better to be safe than sorry. FWIW I also carry a complete set of bearings, seals, etc when we travel.
Best,

Bogfrog & Mr. Turbo

If in life you stumble, make it part of the dance
WayWard Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2004, 08:35 PM   #30
2 Rivet Member

My 2002 Safari 27B built in late February 2002 had all 4 wheels push grease past the seals onto the brakes. This was discovered at Jackson Center when I brought it in for warranty work and decided it would be a good time to have the bearing repacked. The fine folks at Jackson Center replaced 3 of the 4 brake assemblies and repacked everything at no charge. Of course they probably made the money back with our excessive purchasing at the factory store.

Larry Ruebel
Bismarck ND

Old 11-07-2004, 09:39 PM   #31
LEV ZEPPELIN

2004 19' International CCD
Chicago , Illinois
Our 19' CCD was built 5/04 build #516680, 112 numbers away from 516568.

You have me crazy...when you say the "hubs" may get hot, are you refering to the things in the center of the wheel that look like stainless steel go-cups? Do you check this by feel?

I also have a punch list for AS the size of Delaware that I may turn into a power-point presentation if I find anything else...

Eric. That new AS dealership up in milwaukee (Ewald) is sounding tempting after my initial visit to Jackson Center for minor out-patient work in the future.

Jonathan
Old 11-07-2004, 09:45 PM   #32

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porky Pig
Keep in mind those production numbers are
not inclusive.
Not quite sure I understand this term exactly. For simple minded folks like me are they saying "The problem may affect any trailer within this serial number range. Not all trailers will be affected though".

Bottom line every trailer will have to be checked.
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2004, 10:13 PM   #33
3 Rivet Member

No need to go to Ohio for the service. I believe that all of the Airstream dealers and service centers were sent certified letters regarding the recall and authorizing inspection of the trailers involved.
Old 11-07-2004, 10:32 PM   #34
Rivet Master

1963 24' Tradewind
Highland , Illinois
Looks like we're clear

Our unit is 515332 and I think it was built in May '03. We were one of the early '04 units.

I'm taking our trailer in tomorrow for some other work and will ask dealer (Bill Thomas) about recall. I'll post anything I get from them.

Dennis
Old 11-07-2004, 11:03 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2006 28' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Sierra Vista , United States

I'm feeling a little bit better now. We got ours (built to order) May 1st and our number seems to be past the range. I'm still going to follow up with our dealer tomorrow to see what they know.
Ken
Old 11-08-2004, 01:03 AM   #36
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Roseville , California
Send a message via AIM to warbler5
2004 30' Classic #516015

The day we picked our trailer up from the dealer (Toscano's in Los Banos CA), my husband asked (thanks to reading about bearing problems on these forums!) about the bearing problems. We were told that the AS factory reps were there that day checking ALL the new ones on the lot....pulling them and repacking them. I presume ours got done....

We did get the recall letter....however, Airstream is under the impression that our trailer is one of the unaffected 22' models! Something else to deal with...
Old 11-08-2004, 08:14 AM   #37
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Thanks for the tip about the Milwaukee dealership Jonathan. Anyone have any exp with them?

As for no need to go to Jackson Center, I can only say this. I am not comfortable dealing with the (sole) dealer in Illinois. He made it pretty clear that if I bought our second coach elsewhere (bought first from him and was not impressed, that "his customers come first"). He is also about 2.5 hours away from us. Besides those points, I found them to be faily unknowledgeable when it came to the product and a service department that was only slightly bigger than my own garage (in square feet). Don't get me wrong, personally they are nice people....

So...that leaves me with only a few options (before finding out about the new Milwaukee dealership). All of which are about 4-5 hours from me. Jackson Center is almost 5 hours to the minute from my door. So by default, Jackson Center wins. Hopefully the dealership in Milwaukee will be a HUGE plus.

I'm going to investigate further the Milwaukee dealership to see if that is an option.

I too am a bit unclear on the not all inclusive statements. I'd tend to agree that all in the serial range would be checked.
Old 11-08-2004, 08:25 AM   #38
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Just read up a bit on the new Airstream dealership in Milwaukee....looks to me like the ink has barely had time to dry. I'm keepin' my fingers crossed!
Old 11-08-2004, 09:50 AM   #39
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
2004 Recall Notice

Greetings Eric!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertwinkie
Just read up a bit on the new Airstream dealership in Milwaukee....looks to me like the ink has barely had time to dry. I'm keepin' my fingers crossed!
There is also another new Airstream Dealer in the Quad Cities - - possibly somewhat farther than Milwaukee, but they are just a short distance off of Interstate 80 in Davenport, Iowa:

US ADVENTURE RV
5120 N. Brady Street
Davenport
IA, 52806

Since my coaches are both Vintage, and Ace Fogdall has always treated me so well I don't know too much about them. I drove by the dealership frequently before moving from the Quad Cities and the facility is quite spacious and was well-kept.

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC/Free Wheelers #6359
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.11 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2004, 10:10 AM   #40
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Thanks Kevin. I knew about Ace Fogdall, but I haven't heard anything about US Adventure. I'll keep them in mind.
Old 11-08-2004, 10:46 AM   #41
LEV ZEPPELIN

2004 19' International CCD
Chicago , Illinois
Eric.

Ewald just opened their AS dealership a few months ago, and I to hope that they can be a valuable resource for service and part, etc. They are going to have some kind of grand opening in the spring.

The gentleman who called me seemed very nice, and that they were getting training from AS. I think they said they now have about a dozen units on their lot. Maybe less.

Since they are new, I gave them a piece of my mind (not to big, as I can't afford to give out much more!). First I said that a new/used car salesman attitude does not go far. Nor does lying, as I related some stories from my experiances at other unamed dealers.

I also mentioned that everyone wants the best deal. 15-20% off list and thats that.

We talked for some time, and my lunch got cold. But that's allright. I am keeping my fingers and legs crossed!

Jonathan
Old 11-08-2004, 11:03 AM   #42
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Jonathan,

Thanks for the insight on the dealer. I know that not everyone is like some dealers we've had the exp with. I'm pretty open minded about trying some place new. I'm the first to lay blame (if it's due) and also the first to give a pat on the back if it's good. Hopefully you're right, they will be a great resource.