Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-13-2018, 07:16 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1973 23' Safari
Tustin , California
1973 Safari Axles?

I just bought a 1973 Safari tandem axle that was stationary for 10+ years. I need to tow it back to my house which is 60+ miles away.

Has anyone been through a similar experience? Did you have to replace the axles? What should I be looking for?

Thanks!Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20180513-121006_OfferUp.jpeg
Views:	138
Size:	26.1 KB
ID:	310904
dawaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 07:23 PM   #2
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Those axles look shot. Replacing the tires may be a challenge, nut if you can go very easy on your trip home. I suspect that after 10 years the brakes are not functional and I would not be surprised if the wheel bearings are rusted,\.

The good news is that all of the bad stuff will come with the new axles. The trick will be getting the trailer home.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 07:30 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1973 23' Safari
Tustin , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by azflycaster View Post
Those axles look shot. Replacing the tires may be a challenge, nut if you can go very easy on your trip home. I suspect that after 10 years the brakes are not functional and I would not be surprised if the wheel bearings are rusted,\.

The good news is that all of the bad stuff will come with the new axles. The trick will be getting the trailer home.
Thanks az!
Yeah I was told by the tow yard where it's currently at that I should get a low profile flatbed and have it towed home.
Just super excited to get started. I have about a month to get it out of the tow yard so just wondering what I can do to get it road Worthy till then.
Any ideas where to get new axles if I need to go that route?
Old 05-13-2018, 08:14 PM   #4
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
There are several places you can order from. Dexter seems to be the only major company in the business at this time. You need to get the right axles that fit your trailer. Make sure you order the axles with brakes and drums. On my 75 TW I had everything including self adjusting brakes and ez-lube bearings. I would not go with the never lube bearings, but that is personal preference.

One dealer close to you is Inland RV. They are in Corona, CA and carry many vintage parts. They are under new ownership and I do not know anything about the business now.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 08:29 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1973 23' Safari
Tustin , California
Awesome, I will call inland tomorrow, thanks for the info!
Old 05-13-2018, 09:33 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1972 Argosy 20
Snoqualmie , Washington
Before you order the axles, consider ordering the new ones with an altered angle to increase your trailer height. As I recall you can add up to 3" by doing this, no extra expense, and it will make your camping life a lot happier!
DryFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 09:41 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1973 23' Safari
Tustin , California
Hi Dryfly, thanks for replying!
As a person whose never rv'd before, why is the extra height valuable in your opinion?
Old 05-13-2018, 11:36 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1972 Argosy 20
Snoqualmie , Washington
Short version - more height = more flow
Old 05-14-2018, 08:37 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

Byron Center , Michigan
The extra height is handy if you’re planning any boondocking (ground clearance), and I think DryFly is referring to tank drainage being a little easier with a touch more height over the dump station.
YippieKiYa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 09:13 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1973 23' Safari
Tustin , California
Ahhhh Thanks Yippie!

I thought he was referring to Hwy airflow/aerodynamics! hahahhaha

Show you how green I am at this stuff

That does make sense now.
When someone says the axles need to be replaced, how do they know exactly? Are they looking for cracks? Does the wheel not spin? Too much rust?

Thanks everybody
Old 05-14-2018, 09:26 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1972 Argosy 20
Snoqualmie , Washington
I apologize for the brevity of the previous post. Yes, it's because the extra height will make a big difference when emptying your tanks at some locations. I didn't know about the option when I purchased the axles for our Argosy and learned a lesson. It's certainly not an unworkable set up if you don't raise the height, but there pretty much is only an upside.
The axles on Airstreams utilize a twisted, pre-loaded rubber core that acts as an internal shock absorber. There is a really good history on the forum - search for a history of the Dexter Axle - that delves into the manufacturing process.
Basically the rubber looses it's spring after many years, especially if it's been sitting, so that once the spring is lost you have no shock absorbing ability between the axle and the frame. That's really tough on your frame and is probably not safe to tow at freeway speeds. Others will have better explanations I'm sure
Old 05-14-2018, 09:37 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1972 Argosy 20
Snoqualmie , Washington
Here's a good discussion that should help with the understanding of the axles

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f437...les-55371.html
Old 05-14-2018, 09:45 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

1973 23' Safari
Tustin , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by DryFly View Post
I apologize for the brevity of the previous post. Yes, it's because the extra height will make a big difference when emptying your tanks at some locations. I didn't know about the option when I purchased the axles for our Argosy and learned a lesson. It's certainly not an unworkable set up if you don't raise the height, but there pretty much is only an upside.
The axles on Airstreams utilize a twisted, pre-loaded rubber core that acts as an internal shock absorber. There is a really good history on the forum - search for a history of the Dexter Axle - that delves into the manufacturing process.
Basically the rubber looses it's spring after many years, especially if it's been sitting, so that once the spring is lost you have no shock absorbing ability between the axle and the frame. That's really tough on your frame and is probably not safe to tow at freeway speeds. Others will have better explanations I'm sure
No problem DryFly! Thanks for expounding on that for me. I would have never got it just by looking at my axles.
I will do more research on the rubber shocks.
Can I tell by looking at the rubber shocks if they are bad by eyeballing it? Or is it something I have to put it on the road to know for sure?
Thanks
Old 05-14-2018, 09:46 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

1973 23' Safari
Tustin , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by DryFly View Post
Here's a good discussion that should help with the understanding of the axles

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f437...les-55371.html
Thanks for that link!
Old 05-19-2018, 08:32 AM   #15
1 Rivet Member

2001 30' Classic S/O
Banning , California
axles

Hi dawaves,
I replaced the axles on my 2001 Classic, it was a straight forward job not too difficult. I purchased two sets of axles one set for my 2001 and one set for my 1974 sovereign. I sold the 74 before installation and still have them if interested. They were purchased from Inland RV and according to them are a match for your trailer.
I am in SoCal and close.
chipster45@live.com

I also have the drums and backing plates from my 01 in excellent condition that will fit the 74 axles, I had Inland RV install disc brakes on the 2001 and I also went with 16" wheels. I still have the 15"oem Alcoa aluminum wheels if interested.
Happy trails,
Chip
chipster45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 08:11 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

1973 23' Safari
Tustin , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by chipster45 View Post
Hi dawaves,
I replaced the axles on my 2001 Classic, it was a straight forward job not too difficult. I purchased two sets of axles one set for my 2001 and one set for my 1974 sovereign. I sold the 74 before installation and still have them if interested. They were purchased from Inland RV and according to them are a match for your trailer.
I am in SoCal and close.
chipster45@live.com

I also have the drums and backing plates from my 01 in excellent condition that will fit the 74 axles, I had Inland RV install disc brakes on the 2001 and I also went with 16" wheels. I still have the 15"oem Alcoa aluminum wheels if interested.
Happy trails,
Chip
Hey Chip,
Thanks for replying and letting me know. I'm about a week away from towing my AS out of the tow yard. I'm putting new wheels on it and gonna try for towing it home myself.
Once home, that's when I'll start ripping it apart.
I'll keep you posted on the progress and let u know if I need those axles.
What are you asking for them?
Are they Dexter axles? Model#?
Thanks!
Old 05-21-2018, 09:13 PM   #17
1 Rivet Member

2001 30' Classic S/O
Banning , California
axles

Good evening dawaves,
Looked at the axles today could not find any names or numbers.they are for a 74 A/S sovereign, purchased at Inland RV. Inland Andy sold them to me, so Iam sure they are as advertised.
If you need them, 1/2 price sounds good to me, whatever that might be, we can check at Inland.
What kind of wheels are you going to get ? I also have the Alcoa's available.
Private message me if you'd like or call.
Fellow Airstreamer & lov'in it,
Chip
909 437 1207

As to time frame, toward the end of June I head to the Southern Oregon coast til October
chipster45 is offline   Reply With Quote