Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Axles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-15-2013, 11:35 AM   #21

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
That "1970" on the axle data plate of our original-spec axles isn't likely to be the year of manufacture. I think the general consensus is that it's the year that particular design was approved in Canada, given the "CAN. 1970" text and the fact that it's in the same font as the rest of the boilerplate stuff, rather than the font of the stamped data that would differ from axle to axle (the weight rating and the serial #).

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 06:13 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member

1973 Argosy 24
Houston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKB_SATX View Post
That "1970" on the axle data plate of our original-spec axles isn't likely to be the year of manufacture. I think the general consensus is that it's the year that particular design was approved in Canada, given the "CAN. 1970" text and the fact that it's in the same font as the rest of the boilerplate stuff, rather than the font of the stamped data that would differ from axle to axle (the weight rating and the serial #).

That makes more sense. Hmmm, I wonder if it's a good idea to replace a 2600 pound axle with a 3500 pound axle. Can't really get a 2600 lb axle anyway....so I suppose it doesn't matter.

Torsion is a strange animal and the amount of rubber plays a role in how responsive it is to the design load. This is the same thing you see with a 1 ton pickup. With nothing in the bed it acts like there is no suspension. Put 1/2 ton back there and it rides like a dream.

It seems like AS trailers are sensitive to a harsh ride, so upsizing axles too much could have undesirable consequences by removing some of the spring from the axle.

So for the sake of amusement, let's do the de-rating exercise.

I'll assume that what applies to Flexiride axles would apply to other brands of torsion axles. This could be a faulty assumption, but that is a risk I'll take.
http://www.ucfamerica.com/FlexirideT...0Questions.pdf

De-rating is 20% for tandem axle and 10% for rough service.

3500 lb axle is thus derated by 700# when placed in tandem service for a residual rating of 2800lb.

When used in Houston, one could argue that the axle should be derated an additional 10% to compensate for our horrible roads in the inner portions of the city.

Joking about road conditions aside, the up-sizing may not be as big of a deal as I thought. Trailer GVW is rated for 5200# and putting 5600# of axle capacity is an acceptable overage for me.
Hotpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 07:09 PM   #23
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1957 30' Sovereign of the Road
1959 28' Ambassador
1949 24' Limited
Peru , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotpuppy View Post
That makes more sense. Hmmm, I wonder if it's a good idea to replace a 2600 pound axle with a 3500 pound axle. Can't really get a 2600 lb axle anyway....so I suppose it doesn't matter.
I have shipped many 3500 axles that were derated as low as 2500 lbs or uprated as high as 3700 lbs. This is done in 100 lb increments, depending on the trailers requirements, so 2600 lbs isn't an issue.
Colin
Colin H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 09:09 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 28
Fresno/Clovis , California
I talked to a Rick Capsa at Dexter axle, and he said not to over axle my Argosy. I was thinking 3500# axles, and after weighing my Argosy at 4040#, he said to go with 3000# or 3200# max. I hope you weigh your trailer, and if you go with 3500# axles, load it up or you could have very stiff suspension, may not be happy with it. Good luck.
Old 02-18-2013, 06:38 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

1973 Argosy 24
Houston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerdodger View Post
I talked to a Rick Capsa at Dexter axle, and he said not to over axle my Argosy. I was thinking 3500# axles, and after weighing my Argosy at 4040#, he said to go with 3000# or 3200# max. I hope you weigh your trailer, and if you go with 3500# axles, load it up or you could have very stiff suspension, may not be happy with it. Good luck.
I'm comfortable with my calculations and anticipate that the new axles will be an improvement over the previous axles.
Old 02-28-2013, 11:17 PM   #26
2 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 22
Ventura , California
Quote:
I'm comfortable with my calculations and anticipate that the new axles will be an improvement over the previous axles.
Thanks for this thread and for bringing up the whole de-rating aspect that I'd never heard of before. That explains why Andy at Inland RV sold me 2 x 3500lb axles for my 1976 22' Argosy with the same 2600lb GAWR as your 1973 24' Argosy
elmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 05:50 PM   #27
2 Rivet Member

1973 Argosy 24
Houston , Texas
Just a quick update... I picked up the Al-Ko Axles today. They are nearly identical to the old axles... minus the rust and bends. I probably won't have time to install them for a couple of weeks. What started out as a simple job morphed into a rebuild.
Old 03-09-2013, 06:57 PM   #28
2 Rivet Member

1973 Argosy 24
Houston , Texas
I forgot to add that the axles were $386/ea for a net of about $842 after tax. The dealer ended up bringing the axles in with 3 pallets of stock they had ordered so I didn't have to pay shipping. I'll update the thread when I get to installing them.
Old 03-09-2013, 07:27 PM   #29
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
I forgot to add that the axles were $386/ea for a net of about $842 after tax. The dealer ended up bringing the axles in with 3 pallets of stock they had ordered so I didn't have to pay shipping. I'll update the thread when I get to installing them.
The bend in the axle tube, is how it's aligned.

If yours are straight, they are not aligned.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 06:54 PM   #30
2 Rivet Member

1973 Argosy 24
Houston , Texas
The old axles were bent in two planes... so they were certainly not aligned.

The new axles are not bent. We'll see how it goes. I honestly don't anticipate any issues. The dealer that provided the axles has a good depth of experience and manufactures several hundred trailers per year. This is my first airstream/argosy trailer, but it's the second trailer I've re-axled with torsion axles.

The new axles are installed. I did have to drill 8 holes and modify the mount slightly. The new axle brackets aren't as high as the old ones so I added material to the frame to compensate. The majority of the load is carried at the bolts and where the frame rests on the tube.

All in all I'm quite happy with the axles and it's a substantial savings compared to other options that are on the internet. The true test will be when I pull the trailer after I'm done with what the rework.
Old 03-20-2013, 10:49 AM   #31

Bayfield , Colorado
axle replacement 67 overlander

I received my new axles, hubs. brakes. shocks and mounts from inland rv - in good order. The new axles will either line up with the old axle slot in the frame or the old bolts holes - but not both. Which is correct?

If it is the slot I will have to widen it slightly to accommodate the larger new axles and drill new bolt hoes. Should the depth of the slot remain the same or should it also be increased?
roolshedbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 11:05 AM   #32
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by roolshedbob View Post
I received my new axles, hubs. brakes. shocks and mounts from inland rv - in good order. The new axles will either line up with the old axle slot in the frame or the old bolts holes - but not both. Which is correct?

If it is the slot I will have to widen it slightly to accommodate the larger new axles and drill new bolt hoes. Should the depth of the slot remain the same or should it also be increased?
The "rear" bolt hole is the key to mounting.

Then open or enlarge the other holes as necessary.

Open the slot to whatever needs to be so that the larger axle tube will slide in OK.

That slot has nothing to do with the alignment.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote