Old 08-27-2011, 11:31 AM   #29
4 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
Fort Bragg , North Carolina
Great customer service!!!

Rousseau,

sounds like they at least had your attention. Good luck, with the "rest of the story" as it could become interesting.

I've attached a few of the before and after shots of the original axles with the complete replacement axles that I received from Inland. These took about 4 hours to install and as I mentioned previously, I almost just ordered the axles w/out hubs and I'm glad i didn't. The old hubs were basically welded to the axles from the 40 years of use and it would of cost a fortune in comparison had i had to purchased brakes, well bearings individually.

Thanks for the advise Andy, when i ordered them.Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0283.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	350.2 KB
ID:	138808

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0300.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	257.5 KB
ID:	138809

Name:	DSCN0284.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	220.8 KB
ID:	138810

Name:	DSCN0309.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	221.1 KB
ID:	138811

Old 08-27-2011, 11:44 AM   #30
4 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
I meant to say wheel bearings, and all of the other nuts and bolts that would have needed to be replaced.

On another note, you can see in the windows how the new drapes that we replaced this summer , from JPA Drapes make the Airstream look newer (from my perspective). Other folks have commented on them over the summer. So as you update your coach, be prepared to share your Airstream story.

Happy Airstreaming to all, and for all of those that are in Irene's path, I'm glad we have Plan "B", that begins with an "A".

SL4BLLT

Old 09-06-2011, 06:31 PM   #31
1 Rivet Member

1972 21' Globetrotter
Papillion , I'm Everywhere MAn
Got em On

I placed the axle on my globetrotter. Despite prior complaint of Dexter distributor, they measured precisely. It fit real snug. I used 1 titanium drill bit for the 4 new holes. Make sure you use a medium speed and plenty of oil to avoid overheating the bit. I talked to an engineer at Dexter who said shocks would not be necessary with their axles. Also of interest, he said that derating the axles down is not necessary for a smoother ride. I don't know about that, but I only derated a bit for a lot of gear. It is empty, and it is smooth. I filled a glass of water and drove around the neighborhood without a drop spilled (no sharp turns). The axle came with lug nuts, but there were not any mounting bolts supplied. Make sure you get some grade 5 1/2" nuts/bolts/washers. I did this myself with two floor jacks, 4 jack stands, hammer drill, air gun, crawler, leveler, tape measure, and a few brews. Also, the 11 axle fits tight and no mods needed. I had a grinder with a steel cutter disc, but didn't need it. I am not mechanically inclined, nor do I have experience. If you take your time and think it through, then it is doable. Be safe.
Old 09-06-2011, 06:53 PM   #32
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rousseau View Post
I placed the axle on my globetrotter. Despite prior complaint of Dexter distributor, they measured precisely. It fit real snug. I used 1 titanium drill bit for the 4 new holes. Make sure you use a medium speed and plenty of oil to avoid overheating the bit. I talked to an engineer at Dexter who said shocks would not be necessary with their axles. Also of interest, he said that derating the axles down is not necessary for a smoother ride. I don't know about that, but I only derated a bit for a lot of gear. It is empty, and it is smooth. I filled a glass of water and drove around the neighborhood without a drop spilled (no sharp turns). The axle came with lug nuts, but there were not any mounting bolts supplied. Make sure you get some grade 5 1/2" nuts/bolts/washers. I did this myself with two floor jacks, 4 jack stands, hammer drill, air gun, crawler, leveler, tape measure, and a few brews. Also, the 11 axle fits tight and no mods needed. I had a grinder with a steel cutter disc, but didn't need it. I am not mechanically inclined, nor do I have experience. If you take your time and think it through, then it is doable. Be safe.

Some axle manufacturers and Airstream recommend grade "8" bolts and hardware for the axles.

Andy
Old 09-07-2011, 12:19 AM   #33
1 Rivet Member

1972 21' Globetrotter
Papillion , I'm Everywhere MAn
Thanks. I will probably replace the bolts.
Old 09-07-2011, 07:48 PM   #34
4 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
Rousseau,
congrats. I'm glad things worked out. I guess you have already looked at these axles with/as a "full glass"? Happy Airstreaming.

SL4BLLT
Old 09-15-2011, 10:56 AM   #35
Rivet Master

1959 17' Pacer
Long Beach , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by SL4BLLT View Post
Rousseau,
congrats. I'm glad things worked out. I guess you have already looked at these axles with/as a "full glass"? Happy Airstreaming.

SL4BLLT
Well if some drops had in fact spilled I'm pretty sure his glass would have been "half empty"

1959 Pacer 18' Renovation - Knight in Shining Armor

Our Adventure Blog - Documenting our backpacking, hiking, camping, and Airstreaming
(still updating, haven't gotten to the Airstream trips yet)
worldinchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 09:56 AM   #36
4 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
worldinchaos,
good to see he at least has something remaining in his glass. Safe travels.

Tags
sovereign