Old 08-03-2011, 08:21 AM   #15
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by SL4BLLT View Post
Overlander63,
let me clarify what I meant in the bends in axles. This was no in the area of the normal bend in the center that provides the lift. The axles actually has bends left to right as being bent/twisted, not arched as in the middle. They were actually almost like an "S" L-R, where it looks like the curbside hit hard by the PO. I'll see if they are still where I left them and get a picture.

Andy, I guess they got that hot. Mowed the grass tonight and just laughed. it could also be due to the dryness of the grass as where the Airstream sat for the night that is brown as well. Thanks.
Torsion axle tubes can be bent most any where from one end to the other.

That is how it's aligned.

Generally speaking, when a bend is close to one side, then someone has had the axle realigned, perhaps because only one side was off alignment.

Andy

Old 08-03-2011, 08:51 AM   #16
Aluminum Falcon Mechanic

1972 31' Sovereign
Wesley chapel , Florida
Andy do they do that with a hydraulic frame jig?

Darkspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 12:22 PM   #17
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkspeed View Post
Andy do they do that with a hydraulic frame jig?
Henschen provided the pictured alignment equipment, many years ago.

Similair alignment equipment is used in the same way.

Andy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	align.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	77.6 KB
ID:	136641  
Old 08-03-2011, 12:32 PM   #18
Aluminum Falcon Mechanic

1972 31' Sovereign
Wesley chapel , Florida
Ah very cool! Always wondered about that thanks!
Darkspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 11:22 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
Cadillac , Michigan
Any body know what it would cost to do a 67 Caravel axle complete with brakes etc...? Not time, just parts.
Thanks
Old 08-04-2011, 09:20 PM   #20
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Top
New axles can be purchased from many sources. Axis axles from Colin Hyde trailer restorations start at around $430. Dexter axles are what is currently used on Airstreams and they have a very large network of replacement axle dealers. Dexter axles start at around $500 each.
This place is near you.
Road Equipment 0 miles 703 Casa Drive, Cadillac, MI 49601
Phone: 231-779-9828
Toll Free: 800-968-9563
Sells Retail, Sells to Dealers

Have a look at my very own axle thread.

Work is never done, so take time to play!
Top is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 09:39 PM   #21
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingo Girl View Post
Any body know what it would cost to do a 67 Caravel axle complete with brakes etc...? Not time, just parts.
Thanks
There are 2 different torsion axles available.

One is a down grade from what was original on your Airstream, and the other is an upgrade.

Andy
Old 08-12-2011, 04:32 AM   #22
2 Rivet Member

1977 21' Globetrotter
Davis , California
Exclamation Check the alignment

Just a thought to get the alignment checked. My new axle had issues both with toe-in and camber. As a result, tires were worn out in about 1,700 miles. The alignment shop identified these issues, plus a 'dog-tracking' issue caused by the axle being out-of-square to the trailer centerline.
Old 08-12-2011, 06:46 AM   #23
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
They are still there, along with several other axles. I'm pretty sure which ones are yours, even though the tech that did the work is on vacation this week. I can see if I can take a picture of them, possibly next to the "normal" used ones in the dead axle pile.
I forgot I was going to post some visual aids in this thread. Here are a couple of photos of the axles. They are all bent in the same place, in the same manner. The OP's axles are on the bottom of the stack:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	015.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	371.7 KB
ID:	137402   Click image for larger version

Name:	014.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	360.6 KB
ID:	137403  

Name:	013.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	394.8 KB
ID:	137404   Click image for larger version

Name:	012.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	424.3 KB
ID:	137405  

Old 08-14-2011, 02:25 PM   #24
3 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
Bothell , Washington
I'm very curious to see what the before and after hight is on this axle replacement. suppose i need to read all the pages of of the big axle thread.
Old 08-14-2011, 03:03 PM   #25
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uzzah View Post
I'm very curious to see what the before and after hight is on this axle replacement. suppose i need to read all the pages of of the big axle thread.
That will depend on who the supplier is and what you may have specified.

Ours usually raises the trailer at least 3 inches.

Andy
Old 08-14-2011, 07:42 PM   #26
4 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
Fort Bragg , North Carolina
On the axles that are on the posting were the ones that were replaced. Andy, is correct with about 3". I'll down load a few pictures of the axles (before and after) that I purchased from Inland and there is a major difference in height.
The major improvement was in the way it handles. In the past, stuff would be all over the coach from the grounding out. I accidentally left two of the upper storage compartments open and forgot to remove the smoke detector on the maiden voyage when we towed it to a comfortable location three weeks ago. Everything, stayed in place to include the smoke detector which normally falls off. This was a 359 mile tow as well.
Read the threads, see the comments.

My comments: I will endorse Inland RV and recommend a complete set of axles as they go on quick and fit the coach by serial number. Zero fabrication required. Well worth the investment.

SL4BLLT
Old 08-26-2011, 08:53 AM   #27
1 Rivet Member

1972 21' Globetrotter
Papillion , I'm Everywhere MAn
My oh my, was it worth the try?

I decided to go with a Dexter axle for my single axle airstream. I ordered the Dexter because of convenience and price; otherwise, I would have definitely ordered from Inland. I go into the local distributor to order. There are three employees SCREAMING obscenities at each other! I look over at this nice 90 year old gentelman, and he looks at me smiling (apparently oblivious due to lack of hearing aides). All the other employees just mull around like nothing is happening. I ask the clerk, "what's up?" "They are just mad at each other." Really? The cliche reads: I should have just walked away, but . . . Anyways, I told them two or three weeks ago that I needed the 5200# derated to 4000#. He ordered them 5200#. I called and reminded him of our conversation about derating. He said nope, cant't do it. I believed him for two days, and when I had time I perused the forums. BS, like I thought. I called to correct before it was too late. Nope, can't do it. I called Dexter. The gal on the phone argued with me for 5 minutes about derating the axle. Finally when I mentioned that all that is necessary is to shorten the rubber in the axle . . . BINGO! "Sir, what would you like it derated to on your axle? I will call the distributor and make sure we get this fixed for you." I can't wait to show up at the distributor in a week. Maybe I will get verbally assaulted?

Rousseau
Old 08-26-2011, 10:24 AM   #28
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rousseau View Post
I decided to go with a Dexter axle for my single axle airstream. I ordered the Dexter because of convenience and price; otherwise, I would have definitely ordered from Inland. I go into the local distributor to order. There are three employees SCREAMING obscenities at each other! I look over at this nice 90 year old gentelman, and he looks at me smiling (apparently oblivious due to lack of hearing aides). All the other employees just mull around like nothing is happening. I ask the clerk, "what's up?" "They are just mad at each other." Really? The cliche reads: I should have just walked away, but . . . Anyways, I told them two or three weeks ago that I needed the 5200# derated to 4000#. He ordered them 5200#. I called and reminded him of our conversation about derating. He said nope, cant't do it. I believed him for two days, and when I had time I perused the forums. BS, like I thought. I called to correct before it was too late. Nope, can't do it. I called Dexter. The gal on the phone argued with me for 5 minutes about derating the axle. Finally when I mentioned that all that is necessary is to shorten the rubber in the axle . . . BINGO! "Sir, what would you like it derated to on your axle? I will call the distributor and make sure we get this fixed for you." I can't wait to show up at the distributor in a week. Maybe I will get verbally assaulted?

Rousseau
Replacement axles can be ordered by answering 2 questions.

1. What is the trailer serial number?

2. What payload do you typically add to the trailer weight?

Life, can be easy.

Andy

Tags
sovereign