Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Axles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-13-2013, 12:48 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1971 31' Sovereign
fort myers , Florida
Cool 1971 Sovereign 31'

Hello;
First post,and new member. I'm doing a strip and restore from the frame up on a sovereign 31,and I'm thinking about putting a 3rd axle in. If I replace the current rear axle,I want to move it back 2 feet,and then install a new unit in front of the existing front axle. I'm looking to not only spread the load,but increase the stability in the notorious rear. I'm stripping the old copper water system out,and going with CPVC,to lose around 100 pounds of copper. Has anyone seen this,or heard of it? I may be getting ahead of myself for now...going to research axle spacing on trailers tonight. I thought maybe the collective great minds who have these babies might know more than google does. Thanks in advance for any input . Oh...I'm doing all my own welding.

Did some reading here...
http://www.championtrailers.com/UTIL...AILER_KITS.HTM

I have to check to see if I have 2 independent axles,or a tandem set. This may not be veasable,as the weight distribution would change drastically,and the tongue weight needs to remain around 60% .
swampthang7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 03:42 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1971 31' Sovereign
fort myers , Florida
Previous post..."feasible" , not "veasable"...lol. Looks like my axles are independent units. May still be able to do this. Now...don't everyone get all excited about this,and jump in here at once...I am doing this over the summer.
Old 04-13-2013, 06:21 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
Why not rebuild the frame out of something stronger than the 5" C shape it is now? If I had it to do over, I'd re-build our frame out of a 6" box frame.

I would think adding a third axle to the '71 frame you have would be a bad idea, unless you reinforce the frame quite a bit to withstand the extra torque the 3rd axle will put on the frame when you're turning, especially during tight turns.

Chris
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 06:42 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
My 31 ft 81 has two 5" channels welded facing each other. It is also a center bath. I would add another channel and increase the number of connections to the C-channel at the bottom of the wall. If you can connect the outriggers and increase the number of them and then weld a channel or angle to bridge the ends of them, you won't have any tail sag. Sag is caused by the weak connections to the shell failing and rot and corrosion. A 3rd axel is not necessary unless you are going to haul gold bricks in it. It would make a cool top hauler.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 07:35 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1971 31' Sovereign
fort myers , Florida
Thanks Perry and Chris. Been under her for an hour looking at what is left to weld to. I'm going to refit the 5" channels across both axles,and weld in 2 more c-channel connectors towards the rear weighted area.I think I'll increase the metal guage as well. Thanks for you input.
Old 04-14-2013, 07:52 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Phoenix , Arizona
I have built many equipment trailers over the years. The one thing that I try to aviod is triple axle trailers. The best solution for you is a new, stronger frame made out of 6" structural channel, or similar strength steel, and use new tandem axles. I wish my Avion 34' trailer had heavier tandem axles instead of the triple axles. There is nothing more irritating than the scuff that occurs when doing tight turns with a triple axle trailer.
M2HB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 08:27 AM   #7
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by M2HB View Post
I have built many equipment trailers over the years. The one thing that I try to aviod is triple axle trailers. The best solution for you is a new, stronger frame made out of 6" structural channel, or similar strength steel, and use new tandem axles. I wish my Avion 34' trailer had heavier tandem axles instead of the triple axles. There is nothing more irritating than the scuff that occurs when doing tight turns with a triple axle trailer.
Not to mention the cost of replacing extra tires, wheels, brakes, bearings and an extra set of shocks. Technology has changed some what in the last 40 years and two heavier axles can support that load much better now than when it was originally built. However it is your money and maintence costs, time and effort. Have fun in either direction that you choose, just don't expect to sell it later for what you have in it.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 04-30-2013, 06:53 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1971 31' Sovereign
fort myers , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Action View Post
Not to mention the cost of replacing extra tires, wheels, brakes, bearings and an extra set of shocks. Technology has changed some what in the last 40 years and two heavier axles can support that load much better now than when it was originally built. However it is your money and maintence costs, time and effort. Have fun in either direction that you choose, just don't expect to sell it later for what you have in it.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
only paid a grand for it. The low voltage is operational....univolt and bathroom exhaust fan included. High voltage was a problem,as someone cut the line going to the AC in the bath outlet....that's all good. Even put a high voltage mini tank in the rear where I created some space. I've reengineered the plumbing ABS and installed a tankless LP water heater in the galley,and used the old furnace vent to vent the exhaust with an old computer fan. Next up is the new PEX system. I start the frame rebuild the 26 of May. Don't really care about resale,as I'm setting it up for off grid camping...solar and wind ginny to boot. Thanks for your advice though...I'll follow it.
Old 07-13-2013, 02:10 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1971 31' Sovereign
fort myers , Florida
Got the new C channel,crossmembers,and outriggers in finally...primed and painted. Next is POR coat.
Old 07-13-2013, 06:12 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Palomar Mountain , California
If you look at structural steel charts - the strongest strength for weight is rectangular section on edge. If you were to rebuild or strengthen frame I would use this. I use it exclusively when I build trailers - Not sure why builders use channel so much. Steel is sold by weight so it's cheaper to go with tube. Probably harder to weld up but you gain in strength and carrying capacity.
Silver Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sovereign