Up until about a year ago I was convinced that our Airstream (Moe) didnít need new axles. I didnít understand why the axles would need to be replaced. Yep, I was a dope and I definitely found out why they did what they didÖ Boy howdy was I wrong.
I didn't figure out I needed new axles by reading articles from folks on checking the angle of the pivot arms (or whatever they are called) on the axles, although that information helped confirm that I needed new axles. I knew I needed new axles because when I got back home to Marietta from a Kansas music festival (The Walnut Valley Music Festival just about everything I had on the beds, which included several guitars, a Dobro and other instruments (all in cases) where on the floor instead of on the beds. I remember thinking "what the heck happened here!?" This trailer isn't supposed to do this! Itís supposed to ride like itís on a stream of air! Dangit.
That started me on the path to replace my axles. Since then, I've read every thread about replacing axles. You folks are awesome! I can't thank you enough for the information.
I ordered my axles from Colin in June. I had spoken to Andy and he was really helpful (as was Colin!), but at the time the price difference between the two was very important to us. I ordered 2 - 3200# axles from Colin and I specified 12" brakes. I figured that the original axles had 12" brakes so the new ones should too. The upgrade from 10" to 12" was minimal - $100 or so. I paid under $1500 including shipping for the 2 axles. Colin was great. He answered every question I had with tons of patience. Thanks Colin!
At the advice of Colin, I bought 4 Monroe gas-matic shocks, model #555003, which cost $114 for all 4. The mounting bolts were included with the shocks. All I needed to add were 3 washers to the inside of the mounting bolt on the axles shock mount otherwise the bolt would rub and damage the tires. That was the only issue during the removal or install. Well, that and one drill bit the dust. Iíll get to that later.
Over the next few days I'll add photos and more details of the removal and installation. I hope that ok.
Overall I removed the axles Saturday (I had help for about 30 minutes) and installed the new axles Sunday (today). I had help with the axle installation today for about 4 hours. The worst part was drilling new holes in the frame; otherwise the process was just being smart and figuring out how to support the axles during removal and installation.
More to follow. Thanks for reading and allowing me to post this adventure, because it was an adventure. A very cool one.