Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-25-2013, 04:44 PM   #1
jonathan

1969 23' Safari
Homestead , Florida
1969 Land Yacht

Here we go again, seems like I have opened a "can of worms"on inspecting the floor I decided to replace all the flooring I have removed the back section only to find extensive rust to the rear section of the chassis I am awaiting new sections to be fabricated which I will then have bolted and welded back into place, while I am waiting for this I have started to inspect the axle and think that as I am this far I might as well replace it, I have looked on the Dexter Axle wed site and have written to them but I have no knowledge of what I should be looking for, it seems that all other Airstream besides mine have some sort of leaf spring set up, mine has no leaf springs in sight.... is this right?? Can anyone help me and tell me what is best for me to do..??
Thanks agian everyone for your help, I did find a site on axle replacement but can;t seem to find it again
jonnyregis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 05:02 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Rural, blink and you'll miss it , Missouri
I called Andy at Inland RV. I gave him my trailer's ID number and he sent the correct axles. Granted they were delivered from Redneck trailer supply but he took all of the guess work out of it for me.

Eljay

1968 Tradewind Double.
eljay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 05:04 PM   #3

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Airstreams only used leaf springs until '61 or so, all the trailers after that use a torsion axle.

New axles are available from a couple of different companies, the easiest way to get the right one is to go with a company like Colin Hyde or Inland RV who will know from the description and VIN of your trailer which axle to order, or with a little research you could order axles directly from a company like Redneck Trailer Supply. Doing some research will save you headaches and money later, there are a few options like increasing the load carrying rating of the axles, changing the start angle, etc. There's a ton of info on here about it.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 05:10 PM   #4
jonathan

1969 23' Safari
Homestead , Florida
Thanks, got in touch with Andy at Inland RV and he is sorting out the new axle should arrive in 2/3 weeks.
Next job up grading exterior lights any suggestions
jonnyregis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 05:03 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1971 31' Sovereign
fort myers , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyregis View Post
Thanks, got in touch with Andy at Inland RV and he is sorting out the new axle should arrive in 2/3 weeks.
Next job up grading exterior lights any suggestions
Speaking from experience,go with the LED lights from LED4RV.com( talk to Dan brown). The metal based units are a real pain to install,as you need to use a butt connector,and line up the gasket and base...then use the rivet tool. The LED unit is much easier to install,brighter,and less draw. I just installed 6 of each...no comparison in ease.
swampthang7 is offline   Reply With Quote