Closed Thread

Old 05-16-2009, 12:19 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Potters , Idaho
1967 Overlander Axles

I spoke to a Dexter Engineer today. Here is the info I came up with after measuring from his info:
3000lb-#10 axle
10" x 2 1/4 brakes #K23-026-00 and #K23-027-00
57 7/8 outside bracket or inside frame to frame
76 3/4 hub face to face
9 1/4 over hang or frame to hub face
6" arm length
6 lug with 5.50 center
Reverse low profile side mount bracket
EZ lube, I think I read perma lube is only on the smaller axles.
And here is the best news!
There is a 32 degree down angle available that is not listed in the technical material on the web site.

One thing I didn't ask him, Do the axles sell as a complete set?

I will post a form that I created in AutoCad that I used for measuring and illustrating.

If anyone can provide any detail I may have forgotten please do so.

By buying Dexters from a dealer locally I will save $1700 in shipping that I was quoted by other axle dealers.

Old 05-16-2009, 12:41 AM   #2
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoney View Post
By buying Dexters from a dealer locally I will save $1700 in shipping that I was quoted by other axle dealers.
That's an awful lot of shipping. Are you sure it isn't $1700 including shipping?

Old 05-16-2009, 12:53 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Potters , Idaho
That was verified with a phone call and an email, because I couldn't believe it either. The lead time was unreal too. I also found out that Alaska Goldstreak service will fly freight for around $1.26 a pound any where they fly and I could have got it in about 3 to 5 days depending on loads.
It pays to shop around and buy when well informed.
Old 05-16-2009, 06:42 AM   #4
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
are these axles? or axle? what year is this? what model? Why such a high start angle? Are these being shipped to Alaska or something? Have you looked into Axis Axles? Contact Colin and get a quote... Colin H
Old 05-16-2009, 11:48 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Potters , Idaho
The original title is "1967 Overlander Axles". That should answer your first set of questions. The thread was asking about Dexter axles and information I may have missed. It was also to provide information regarding axles so anyone researching the subject would be able to make informed choices.
The 32* (35*) angle has been referred to in almost ever post I have read about axle replacement on this forum and how it is recommended by the current axle vendors and the point is stressed it is not available by Dexter. Well now it is, and that information is important for added clearance on the new vehicles in order to get the proper towing height and additional loads that may be hauled.
Questioning my comment about the shipping cost (if it was true) and where I am located is not important to this thread. I have an email that states the cost I quoted. It was a comment to demonstrate how important it is to make informed decisions and to gather all the information prior to making a major purchase to replace axles($$$). It a big investment.
There are a lot of people on this forum that have discussed the Dexter alternative for axles, and they are interested in this information. Read the axle post's and you will find several cases of highjacked threads and destructive discussion about who has the best and who does or doesn't provide upfront details. I have had a couple of threads highjacked and my original post was never answered.
It would have been nice if I could have read all the measurements on this forum so I didn't have to lay under my trailer wet and muddy to get the measurements and if my information keeps someone else from having to do that then this forum has worked. If my questions are answered and I get information that I missed, then it has worked even better for me. This forum is about the exchange of information for the good of all so let's try to keep it that way. If you have information regarding Dexter axles or answers to my original question, then I am interested. I have done a lot of research about axles, Axis, Dexter, and Henshen, and Dexter fits my requirements.
Respectfully edited,
Phoney
Old 05-16-2009, 11:59 AM   #6
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Neither Frank nor I asked to be snotted off at because we asked a reasonable question.
To answer your one and only question in your first post, axles are sold by the each.
Old 05-16-2009, 12:07 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Wickenburg , Arizona
Thank you for the info and your subsequent replys. I also try to post relivent info and appriciate when others do also. The axle mystique is unbleivably complex at times. Again thank you for taking the time to document something that others can use. Adios, John
Old 05-16-2009, 01:33 PM   #8
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoney View Post
The original title is "1967 Overlander Axles". That should answer your first set of questions. The thread was asking about Dexter axles and information I may have missed. It was also to provide information regarding axles so anyone researching the subject would be able to make informed choices.
The 32* (35*) angle has been referred to in almost ever post I have read about axle replacement on this forum and how it is recommended by the current axle vendors and the point is stressed it is not available by Dexter. Well now it is, and that information is important for added clearance on the new vehicles in order to get the proper towing height and additional loads that may be hauled.
Questioning my comment about the shipping cost (if it was true) and where I am located is not important to this thread. I have an email that states the cost I quoted. It was a comment to demonstrate how important it is to make informed decisions and to gather all the information prior to making a major purchase to replace axles($$$). It a big investment.
There are a lot of people on this forum that have discussed the Dexter alternative for axles, and they are interested in this information. Read the axle post's and you will find several cases of highjacked threads and destructive discussion about who has the best and who does or doesn't provide upfront details. I have had a couple of threads highjacked and my original post was never answered.
It would have been nice if I could have read all the measurements on this forum so I didn't have to lay under my trailer wet and muddy to get the measurements and if my information keeps someone else from having to do that then this forum has worked. If my questions are answered and I get information that I missed, then it has worked even better for me. This forum is about the exchange of information for the good of all so let's try to keep it that way. If you have information regarding Dexter axles or answers to my original question, then I am interested. I have done a lot of research about axles, Axis, Dexter, and Henshen, and Dexter fits my requirements.
Respectfully edited,
Phoney

Well, not sure what your point was or is. I now am with holding my true opinion and hope you have a grand time with your axles. Sorry to try and help out...
Old 05-16-2009, 06:17 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1961 22' Safari
Union , Oregon
Thank you for the information. I, too, saved a bundle in shipping costs by going through my local dealer on my Dexter axle for my '61 Safari. Your OD frame measurement was identical to mine and my hub face was only 7/16 different. I wish I had known about the availability of the 32 degree down angle (I got the 22 1/2 degreee) but I kinda made up for that with the high profile bracket. Where I go I need the extra clearance.

One thing about axles that I have not seen addressed here is axle capacity and that the weight on the trailer axle changes with the use of the equalizer hitch and can change with the amount of weight you have in the rear of your tow vehicle. I spec'd my axle capacity on total trailer weight minus tongue weight plus a cushion, when the trailer was loaded with all my gear, water, etc. I did not consider the additional trailer axle weight when the equalizer hitch was in use. Fortunately I factored in enough cushion to be well within axle spec's. Just another thought to be considered.

I posted my axle change here under "Safari gets new axle" if you haven't seen that already. Might possibly be something there that could help in your changeover.
I wish you the best during your project. You are going to like the results.
Feel free to contact me if you think I can be of any assistance.
Sam

Tags
1967, 1967 overlander