Old 03-06-2008, 01:26 PM   #1
Rivet Master

Andy,

From what I understand, my 1966 Safari came with a 5000# axle, 12" brakes, 6 lug wheel.

Even if I get the Henschen, I will still have to do some of the same mods that would be required on a Dexter (drill holes, add shock mount, etc...) Is it possible to get a direct bolt up axle for this trailer?

I'm wanting to do a "Axle Swap Seminar" at the "East Coast VAC Rally" in June of this year on my 1966 Safari.

I understand the 5200# Dexter would require me to cut the mounting brackets (on the trailer I guess) to allow for the larger #11 tube that allows you to get the 12' brakes. But, I've heard you can ask for the larger brakes on the smaller axle that would not require the cut, but don't know if they can beef up a #10 tube to 5000#

I don't want to cut the mounting plate if possible.

From what I understand, the Henschen does not require the cutting of the axle plate. I'm looking for the best/easy way of doing the swap to show the world to see!

Would you like to help sponser this event?

Old 03-06-2008, 02:23 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by rideair
Andy,

From what I understand, my 1966 Safari came with a 5000# axle, 12" brakes, 6 lug wheel.

Even if I get the Henschen, I will still have to do some of the same mods that would be required on a Dexter (drill holes, add shock mount, etc...) Is it possible to get a direct bolt up axle for this trailer?

I'm wanting to do a "Axle Swap Seminar" at the "East Coast VAC Rally" in June of this year on my 1966 Safari.

I understand the 5200# Dexter would require me to cut the mounting brackets (on the trailer I guess) to allow for the larger #11 tube that allows you to get the 12' brakes. But, I've heard you can ask for the larger brakes on the smaller axle that would not require the cut, but don't know if they can beef up a #10 tube to 5000#

From what I understand, the Henschen does not require the cutting of the axle plate. I'm looking for the best/easy way of doing the swap to show the world to see!

There is "no" modifications to use the Henschen axle.

You must however, drill three 1/2 holes thru the mounting bracket, and thru the axle mounting plate. Or, you can add a steel extension to the bottom of the current axle mounting plate, but then you must cut that plate to accept the axle tube. You would also have to drill two 5/8 holes thru that new plate.

The mounting bracket was changed for the 69 models, at Airstreams request. That in turn, requires the above change.

Also, from 1968 and back, there is a large difference is where the shock mount is located. Welding the shock mount on a new axle, does not harm the rubber rods in anyway.

Other than drilling the holes, and welding the shock brackets in place, there is no other changes necessary to use a Henschen axle.

The fit is guaranteed.

Henschen axles for the 1969 and up model Airstreams, are direct bolt on fit. No changes of any kind are required.

I cannot speak for the Dexter axle program, since I do not sell that brand.

Andy

Old 03-06-2008, 03:10 PM   #3
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
Quote:
Andy,...

...From what I understand, the Henschen does not require the cutting of the axle plate. I'm looking for the best/easy way of doing the swap to show the world to see!

I'll tell you what: If Andy supplies the axles, I will personally drive all the way down there to the rally, at my own expense, and volunteer my trailer (which is in the model year range for the direct bolt-on axles) for this demonstration.

'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 06:02 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1960 28' Ambassador
Vintage Kin Owner
1998 25' Safari
Avonton , Ontario
Quote:
Andy,

Paul, I put the #11 Dexter on my 67 safari. The axel tube fits the trailer mounting bracket without cutting. You should order the high profile axel bracket as shown, Make sure it is orientated as the original is and all you need to do is redrill some mounting holes. You do not need the side mount hanger as shown, and bolts are included.
5200 lb #11 Torflex Trailer Axle
98 Safari
1950 Spartan
1966 Globetrotter
Shacksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 11:16 PM   #5

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
Define "no"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In
There is "no" modifications to use the Henschen axle.

You must however, ...
Andy
Sorry but I guess I don't understand
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 07:40 AM   #6
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiHoAgRV
Sorry but I guess I don't understand
Please read post # 43.

Andy

(Moderator's note .... several other posts were moved so these posts have been moved also. This makes the order different and post 43 does not exist.)
Old 03-07-2008, 08:30 AM   #7
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shacksman
...You do not need the side mount hanger as shown, and bolts are included.
5200 lb #11 Torflex Trailer Axle
what is this "side mount hangar" that I see mentioned so often? I see it off to the side, floating off in space over there, in the page that you linked...it looks just like the mounting bracket.

I don't understand where this comes into play.
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 09:39 AM   #8

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck
what is this "side mount hangar" that I see mentioned so often? I see it off to the side, floating off in space over there, in the page that you linked...it looks just like the mounting bracket.

I don't understand where this comes into play.
It seems to be a freebe that comes with every Dexter axle order .
It's true use is when building a trailer from scratch, this bracket is welded to the trailer frame then the axle is bolted to the bracket. So far nobody I'm aware of has found how to delete this from an order.

HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1966, 1966 safari