Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-10-2004, 11:45 AM   #1

1964 airstream sitting unmoved since 1982

We were given a 1964 Airsteam I need some work. The hot water tank is on it last leg and the water pipes and bathroom will need some work. The most important question is before we start working on the interior problems is can this puppy be moved? It has been sitting in the same spot since 1982 or 1983 and has not been used since the early 1990's. The back has some rust and water damage the tire believe it or not still have air in them and one side is up on blocks and the other is sitting on wood. It does get sunlight and will need a good cleaning.

Any advise on what to look before trying to move.
mags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2004, 11:54 AM   #2
5 rivets, 1 loose screw

1966 20' Globetrotter
Saginaw County , Michigan
How far do you have to move it? If the tires look ok and just going a short distance, I would risk it.
Flatbed hauling is expensive.
Be sure to use proper safety chains and a WD hitch if you have one.
If it's tandem axle, one blown tire should not present a problem for short distance.
More info is needed for proper advice.

May you camp where wind won’t hit you, where snakes won’t bite and bears won’t git you.

Rog0525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2004, 12:10 PM   #3

Red face

For the time being, we only want to move it 50 to 100 feet to a different location, it is a tandom. But it will eventually have to be removed from the existing location. The neighbor is willing to pull it with his dozer, we have no idea if the brakes even work.

On a side note any idea on where we could get a hot water heater? We were working on the water line is weekend and we found that the last owner had hooked up the gas lines to the heater is rubber tubing. Not very smart... could have be a big bang.......
Old 05-10-2004, 12:11 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64

Greetings mags!

Welcome to the Forums and the world of '64 Airstream ownership!

Quote:
The most important question is before we start working on the interior problems is can this puppy be moved?
In all probability the answer is yes pending visual inspections for:

1.) Rust through or excessive rust scaling of frame - -especially on hitch, but it could also be a problem if in the rear frame members in terms of long-distance movement. If rust through or significant scaling is present, an inspection by a knowledgeable welder or repair technician would be in order.

2.) The axles haven't experienced damage from jacking/supports indicated in your post - - this trailer would have the DuraTorque axles so jacking damage would be a possibility and/or if those blocks are under the axle they could pose a potential issue with axle damage as well.

Another issue to be aware of especially since it has been some time since the coach was last moved is the kind of wheel that is currently installed. In 1964, the coach would likely have had split rims which are very difficult if not impossible to have serviced in most localities today. The wheel tire combination used on most (other than possibly the Bambi II) is the rather readily available ST 225 75 R 15 - - I would encourage you to give great consideration to replacing the tires (as well as the rims if they happen to be the original split-rims) before moving the coach as a blow-out can cause significant and EXPENSIVE damage to the exterior skin and wheel wells.

Quote:
On a side note any idea on where we could get a hot water heater? We were working on the water line is weekend and we found that the last owner had hooked up the gas lines to the heater is rubber tubing. Not very smart... could have be a big bang.......
The '64 used a Bowen water heater originally and likely was a 10 gallon unit. Unless your luck happens to be much better than mine, you will find that the opening needs to be modified to (made smaller) fit the new water heater whether you choose a six- or a ten- gallon replacement. You can find the Atwood water heaters that most use as replacements from most any RV dealer or from Camping World. You can see the modifications that were necessary on my '64 Overlander International in the photo below:

Good luck with your '64!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2004, 12:25 PM   #5

Wow... Thanks for the great infomation. We'll check things out over the weekend & will be keeping our fingers cross that all this in good working condition.
Old 05-10-2004, 12:46 PM   #6
5 rivets, 1 loose screw

1966 20' Globetrotter
No sweat mags, very few people have ever gone wrong in acquiring an Airstream. The info you need on yours (such as the water heater replacement) has probably already been posted.
Use the Search feature and if you don't find it there, ask away.
Most members don't bite.

May you camp where wind won’t hit you, where snakes won’t bite and bears won’t git you.

Old 05-10-2004, 05:24 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1965 20' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Houston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rog0525
Most members don't bite.
But some like to nibble.

-"You want to make it two inches - or, if you're working in centimeters, make sure it's enough centimeters for two inches."-Red Green
BobbyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2004, 06:20 PM   #8
5 rivets, 1 loose screw

1966 20' Globetrotter
Is that your real pic in your avatar BobbyW? Kinda looks like Ross Perot on a bad ear day.

Old 05-10-2004, 07:04 PM   #9
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by mags
The neighbor is willing to pull it with his dozer, .

It is very possible even with a small bullldozer to twist the hitch assembly completely off the trailer, especially if pushing the trailer backwards, in soft dirt or mud. This is how my Holiday Rambler met its demise.
Your trailer has been sitting in the same spot for 13 years or so, be gentle in pulling it out. A bulldozer is not gentle. Can you get a pickup truck or your tow vehicle to where the trailer is? If so, it would be better to try that first, if you get stuck, or need a little help, hook the dozer to the frame of the pickup, it is stronger than the trailer frame, and pull both out with the dozer.
Gently.
Easy does it.
13 years of immobility must be overcome.
I have been there, done that. Bought the Tee shirt, and don't want it to happen to you.
Also, as long as the wheels turn, I wouldn't worry about getting the brakes working for your first 100 foot move.
Terry
Old 05-10-2004, 08:40 PM   #10
5 rivets, 1 loose screw

1966 20' Globetrotter
BTW Kevin

I did not mean to dismiss your advice on the water heater.
I replaced the 10 gal Bowen in a '60 Overlander with a 6 gal Atwood I bought from Inland RV. Probably much overpriced but the kit included Olympic rivets, Vulkem, Parabond and even a small sheet of aluminum in case I
wanted to replace the sheet metal door. It worked nicely and was money well spent.
I still have the original WH door panels if anyone wants them free for nothing.

Old 05-11-2004, 06:31 AM   #11

The orginial manual (1964 overlander 26') and even the warrenty are in hand so we have diagrams of the water, wiring etc. So hopefully we can have water in a couple of weekends. We can back our chevy (2002 1500 Silverode) up to the hitch. Being that it on a grade we didn't thing it would pull it, but maybe the best bet would be to try that first. The hitch assembly does have some visable rust as well as the rear bumper but we need to get under and see how bad the damage is.
Old 05-11-2004, 06:52 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64

Greetings mags!

The '64 Overlander has an empty factory weight of approximately 4,400 pounds depending upon options and permanently installed accessories - - the empty hitch weight is just short of 500 pounds (approximately 450 pounds). When fully loaded for a long trip, my '64 Overlander International has a gross weight of nearly 6,100 pounds.

One of my earlier tow vehicles was a '95 Chevrolet K1500 pickup and it handled the trailer well in all except steep grade situations - - it was underpowered for the Rocky Mountains (5.7 Liter with 3.73 differentials). For the moving that you are proposing, your truck should be able to handle the trailer - - you will need a 2" coupler ball if the hitch is the original Marvel coupler.

Good luck with your Overlander!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags