Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Axles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-25-2015, 04:38 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Mantua , Ohio
1961 Bolt in and Weld in Torsion Axles

From my understanding, 1961 is the first year for the torsion axles. It is my further understanding that early in the year they were welded on, later in the year then went bolt on... To the 3- 1/2" bolts, 9 inch centers (That is what I have)?
My 4" C channel frame rails have a plate welded on the inside of the C Channel, with washers welded in at the 3 holes per axle.

The odd part, my rear axles are welded in, the front axles are bolted in. But I found 6 partial 1/2 bolts, appearing to have been cut off with a torch. My bet, they cut the bolts on the rear axles, and welded them in.

Here are the pics. If anyone knows anything about the 61' weld on and/or bolt on axles, PLEASE give me a heads up. It would be handy to know if the 9" center holes are in fact factory?

Will my new axles have these 3 holes drilled?
Will the shock mounts be mounted?
Where does the top of the side plate on the axle come to (Note in the pics, front and back axle plates are different heights)?
Will those tabs on the back of the Axle plates that sit on the frame be there?

Any info would be GREAT!
Here are some pics.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1292.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	325.7 KB
ID:	233108   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1289.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	373.7 KB
ID:	233109  

Name:	DSCN1380.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	317.6 KB
ID:	233110   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1381.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	386.0 KB
ID:	233111  

Name:	DSCN1383.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	278.9 KB
ID:	233112   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1386.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	394.1 KB
ID:	233113  

Studioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 09:05 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1961 22' Safari
Union , Oregon
I found the date of January 16th, 1961 written on the underside of the bathroom sink counter on my 1961 Safari. My single torsion axle was welded to the mounting plate, and the mounting plate was bolted to the frame with three 1/2" bolts on 9" centers. The mounting plate and shock bracket looked identical to your photos, including the tabs on the back of the mounting plate. I bought this trailer from the original owner who bought it new at the factory. He made no changes to the factory axle.

When I replaced the axle I built new mounting plates, and then bolted the new mounting plates to the frame with 3 grade 9 1/2" bolts using the existing holes at 9" centers, then bolted my axles to the new plates. I was able to drill all the new bolt holes on my drill press and so avoided any hand drilling under the trailer. Any future axle replacements should now be a simple bolt-on operation.

I am in Tucson and away from my photos at this time. If you would like to see photos of my installation please PM me or send an email. I plan to be home by the first of March.

Sam
samb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 04:42 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

Mantua , Ohio
Which one did it look like?

Mine has two axles, both different. Which one did yours look like?
I'd LOVE to see some pics.
So you are saying the "Mounting plates" do not come on the axles?
Old 02-26-2015, 07:40 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1961 22' Safari
Union , Oregon
My axle was like the first photo you showed where the mounting plate was bolted to the frame and the axle was welded to the mounting plate.

I replaced my axle with a new one from Dexter, which did not come with mounting plates. I do not believe any new axles come with the mounting plates. They do have a mounting "bracket" which is welded to the axle and which bolts to the mounting plate.
When I get home I will round up some photos to email to you.
Sam
samb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 11:50 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1961 24' Tradewind
1967 26' Overlander
1973 27' Overlander
Savannah , Georgia
In 1961, it basically depended on who was doing the assembly as to how they went on. I outsourced my axle replacement for this very reason. We had to fabricate a mounting plate based on a very helpful sketch from Colin Hyde. If you need photos I will be more than glad to go get some this weekend when I go to the trailer.
beatrix1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 03:02 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

Mantua , Ohio
Pics would be AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!! THANKS!!!!
Old 03-16-2015, 09:26 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

Mantua , Ohio
Bolting torsion axles in as on new trailers

Why can't I just bolt the new axles in, as if doing a conversion to a torsion from a leaf system?
I saw an aluminum boat trailer converted over, and the bolts just went straight up throw the C channel frame rails. I'd feel WAY more secure with it bolted through my steel frame compared to an Aluminum rail, particularly with a heavy boat on the trailer.
As replacing the floor, I made access to the frame at the spots where the axles will be. So in 25 years, if my son ends up with my trailer, he can easily change out the axles.

This is how I'd like to do it (Besides someone will have to be inside to help with the bolting).
PLEASE, the more opinions, the better!
The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum

Tags