Old 06-23-2010, 07:44 PM   #15
Rivet Master
2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi

I agree with Andy, just to get it home - all I would do is get some fresh grease on the bearings and leave the seals alone. Go slow and use the back roads - you should be able to go a long way on that. Use the old axle as the rolling gear for a while, in the yard of course, clean her up and get her water tight. New axles are not all that hard to find/replace but why have one just sitting until you are ready to hit the road.

Look at new trailer rims, select the right bolt pattern for the new axle you will eventually buy. Old rims are just not worth it and may fail down the road. Better to know what you have then guess at what was under there sitting all those years.

Michael & Tina with Layla and Preston BZ
The family has grown.
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 04:23 AM   #16
1 Rivet Member
1961 16' Bambi
Jacksonville , Florida
I was able to get back out to the Bambi yesterday evening. I tried the adjustment star wheel on the hub and it turned with no problem. I backed off the brakes, and the hub pulled right off. For anyone interested, adjusting the star wheel up backed off the shoes. I repacked the bearings, put in a new grease seal, and put it back together.

My next step was to install the new wheel. The old wheels are so rusted that they are unusable. I went to 4 or 5 tires stores trying to find replacements, until I finally found one that could order them. They measured the old wheel and said it was 13.5x5.5 4-4.5. The wheels came in on Thursday and they put on ST175/80D13 C trailer tires.

The wheel did not fit. The hole pattern was about 1/4 inch too small. So I pulled the hub back off and I am going to take it to every wheel and tire store that I can find today to see if I can get some wheels that fit.

BrianY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 06:01 AM   #17
1 Rivet Member
1961 16' Bambi
Jacksonville , Florida
On Saturday, I took the wheels back to the tire store. They measured them and found that they had given me a 4x100mm lug pattern instead of a 4x4.5. Their supplier had labeled them incorrectly in the computer and they did not stock 4x4.5 wheels. I searched around and found a set of used wheel of the correct size. A few hours later I was back at the airstream repacking the bearings and putting on the wheels.

The wheels went on without a problem, but when I gave one a spin I could hear a scraping noise, and it wasn't the brake shoes. I felt around the back of the tire and found that the rim was scraping against the axle arm. It was causing enough drag that I was afraid it would generate too much heat if I tried to tow it. I ran to the hardware store, bought a pack of grade 8 washers, removed the wheels, put a washer on each lug bolt, and put the wheels back on. This gave me the needed clearance between the wheel and axle.

I hooked up the tow vehicle (Chevy Trailblazer), tow lights, and new safety chains. I got it out on the road and it pulled so easy that I could hardly tell it was there. The license plate expired in '86, so this was probably the first time it was on the road in almost 25 years. My wife met me in a parking lot a few miles down the road, so that she could follow me if I had any problems. I rechecked the lug nuts and they were tight. I drove it home, stopping about every 10 miles to check the lug nuts and see if the hubs were heating up. I had no problems and now the Bambi is sitting in the driveway. The next step is to give her a name and start a complete shell-off restoration for which I will start a new thread.
BrianY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 08:09 AM   #18
Rivet Master
1948 16' Wee Wind
1953 21' Flying Cloud
Denver , Colorado
well done . . .

Good job sensibly done. Atta boy! Now the fun truly begins.
Fred Coldwell, WBCCI #1510, AIR #2675
Denver, Colorado - WBCCI Unit 24
Airstream Life "Old Aluminum"
Airstream Life
"From the Archives"
47WeeWind is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 10:37 AM   #19
Rivet Master
2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
when the time comes, a set of centramatic wheel balancers miggt be a good replacement for the washers, if they are thick enough :-)

2012 F150 Super Crew 5-1/2' bed Ecoboost 4x4 3.73 elec. lock diff. Propride hitch
give life. kidney & pancreas transplant 9/9/06
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote

1961, 1961 bambi