Old 02-20-2008, 10:46 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
an immodest proposal

Ever tried using a salad spinner to wring out your undies?

Today is a gift, that's why they call it the present.
Foiled Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 11:07 AM   #16
Rivet Master
2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
LOL, you crack me up Paula. I am waiting to see how your test of the heater in the shower goes, our heater seems as if it might be too intense for the walls for any length of time, but not sure if we turned it down just how low it will heat.

I saw a towel warmer here.
Warmrails Towel Warmer - Wonderbar Towel & Drying Rack (wxw/wxc)

Wonderbar Towel & Drying Rack Features:
  • Portable - No assembly required
  • Hanging all purpose Warmer and Dryer Rack
  • Hangs on existing towel bar. Instructions included
  • Plugs into standard electrical outlet
  • Assembled dimensions - 18.5 w x 26.5 h x 1.75 d
  • 7 power cord, entry on left or right side
  • Filatherm dry element, 45 watt rating, 120v AC
  • UL and CUL Listed
  • Chrome or White finishes
On average, Warmrail uses between 35 150 watts of electricity (compared to dryers that on average use 4,900 watts). You can really save on unnecessary laundry loads by keeping your towels dry and fresh between uses. Use your Warmrail instead of the clothes dryer and make some real energy savings

Keeps Towels Dry and Fresh Your Warmrail is designed to run safely and efficiently 24 hours a day. After using your towel, fold it to double thickness* and hang it over the Warmrail. The next time you reach for your towel it will be dry and warm. Even in the humid summer months the Warmrail will keeps your towels dry and stop them from smelling musty.

Control Bathroom Damp and Mildew
Warmrails aren't designed to heat rooms, but they do help to reduce dampness in poorly ventilated bathrooms. This is great news for rooms that suffer from mold and mildew growth. For this same reason, boat owners find that Warmrails are invaluable in drying out humid, damp sea air from boat cabins.

I would like dry undies, always a plus, LOL. And socks and washclothes and towels drying faster would be some more good things.
Attached Images

wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 08:23 AM   #17
1 Rivet Member
1972 29' Ambassador
Morris , Indiana
I have a Splendide. And have been using it for over 7 months outside the AS. It beats going to the laundry mat. It saves time and money. We are currently looking at ways to install it in our 73 AS.
Dona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 04:55 PM   #18
Vintage Kin
Corpus Christi , Texas
We considered adding one to the Silver Streak, but realized, in talking with those who already had a Splendide that there was no time savings. We would ask around about laundromats to find the one that had the newest machines and best appearance. We "filled out" our wardrobe of clothes to be able to go about 10-14 days and then would hit the laundromat with 7washer loads and be out in a couple of hours with everything dried, folded and hung. I also made this my day to wash the truck and we would also go for any non-grocery shopping.

Worked very well for over seven months.

Splendide was the only machine I heard reasonable comments about from the three service techs I asked; all cautioned that difficult installations also made for difficult service.

I had the space in the bathroom (one of two closets) and the hookups would have been easy. Decided I'd rather spend the same money on a built-in vacuum and some electrical system upgrades.

Good luck.
1990 35' Silver Streak Sterling; 9k GVWR.
2004 DODGE Cummins 305/555; 6-manual; 9k GVWR.
Hensley Arrow. 10-cpm solo, 18-cpm towing
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 06:24 AM   #19
1 Rivet Member
1972 29' Ambassador
Morris , Indiana
I have a Splendide in my AS. Works great. We took out the heater and oven. And put the W/D in that space. Bought a convection/Micro to replace the oven. And we never used the heater.
Old 06-20-2008, 07:34 AM   #20
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer
1975 31' Sovereign
Searcy , Arkansas
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
Ever tried using a salad spinner to wring out your undies?

Hey Paula,

Did that one time, but the next time I fixed salad my wife wouldn't eat it!

Airstream of Arkansas

Keeping the Airstream Dream Alive!

AIR #8844
Airhog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 09:32 AM   #21
Be Not Afraid JMJ + AMDG
2008 25' Safari
Quiet Green , Connecticut
laundry solutions?

besides laundrymats or onboard w/d units, what works for you regarding laundry?

I am considering:

Portable Washing Machine
from Portable Washing Machine
or Lehman's - Products for Simple, Self-sufficient Living

Carol, did you ever try this?

And then a way to hang in shower to finish drying:

would need several

2 Line Retractable Clothesline (could mount one towards back on one side, one towards front on other side, and have four lines)

or could I use something like this (with a very strong hook)

from at=673&iSubCat=728&iProductID=6785

these would be great if I did not have a wheel well in my shower (others might be interested though):

what is your solution to indoor drying, especially when boondocking?

Oh! found this as an ironing board substitute (I don't iron but DH has to keep work shirts looking good)

"Color delights my spirit"
Roamin Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 06:46 AM   #22
1 Rivet Member
1972 29' Ambassador
Morris , Indiana
We took out our oven and heater. And put the W/D under the stove top. We replaced the stove top with a new one that was only about 2 and 1/2 deep. Works great. And I don't mind that the loads are smaller. And I know who used it last.
Old 08-18-2009, 09:24 AM   #23
1992 34' Limited
Snead , Alabama
New Airsteam 34 owner, it's all new to me.

Trying my best to find the best washer/dryer combo.

So far Haier or Thor units look the best? 22 inch max room to move down hallway install on starboard side, across from shower/vanity area.

Any help advise appreciated!!!!.

Will sun dry on decent days but need dryer for winter cold wet days.

Obviouslly plan second electric 30 amp line for W/D.
FrankBurgett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 10:49 AM   #24
1 Rivet Member
1967 26' Overlander
Lexington , South Carolina
Hey Jason,
Hope all the diverse info is helpful. I love seeing all the innovative products people come up with. I lived in my '67 AS for three years. I started off washing in the tub, and hanging everything outside. (I mostly have nylon/ backpacking clothes) I used the 5 gallon bucket to wash also. Worked great, but stooping over the tub gets old. Rinsed everything with a pump sprayer. In the end, I put a regular washer and dryer in a storage building outside. Much easier! On short trips, I just don't wash clothes. Weigh your costs ($ and time). Most decent RV washer/dryers are expensive, not so convenient, and take valuable space in a camper. If you have room and the hookups (and stay on the same property most of the time), an outside storage space is priceless.
Mikell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 11:58 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post
IIRC the unit you are looking at actually has a 110volt dryer and they are brutally slow. We had an apartment sized unit that was 110v and it took all day to dry a load of clothes(or so it seemed). If the load happend to be blue jeans it would take 2.5 hours to dry. You can dry them faster than that outside on a sunny day. We have looked at a unit like the one you are considering, for what they cost I can make a lot of trips to the laundromat. Besides if I go to the laundromat I can use more than one machine at a time and get done faster

AMEN! And it's one more thing that can leak all over the inside of your Airstream.

Today is a gift, that's why they call it the present.
Foiled Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 03:59 PM   #26
4 Rivet Member
1988 34' Limited
1960 24' Tradewind
Mt. Pleasant , South Carolina
We have a Splendide in our 1988 34'. It is a center bath unit with a closet next to the shower that was already plumbed and wired for a washer/dryer--guess the original owners wanted it that way because it looks like it was built by Airstream but I could be wrong. I kept an eye out and found the Splendide for about $300 (1/4 new price). It had been used by a guy on a year long construction job--otherwise perfect condition. The thing appears to be well made and sturdy. Not one problem so far.
It was a BEAR to get into the space (repair, if ever necessary will be equally tough). It was worth it, though. When we go out for extended runs (2 weeks straight is a long run for us) it surely helps to be able to wash basic clothes like underwear, towels, shorts, whatever so you don't have to carry everything you own.
The unit washes great and the dryer is a bit slow but that's alright--what's the hurry? We let it do its thing and wash/dry a few loads over the course of the day. I know it is a luxury to have in a travel trailer but I am one of those folks that is not so crazy about washing my clothes in the same machine (at a laundromat) that countless others have--don't like to share any more mites than I have to.
It is a heavy creature (100# +/-) and vibrates a good bit only on the spin cycle. My humble recommendations would be to put it as close to being over the axles as possible and install it on top of a piece of carpet or some other dampening device to baffle some of the vibration.
Good luck,
Cantrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 08:29 AM   #27
2 Rivet Member
Currently Looking...
Gwinnett County , Georgia
Here is a list of various contraptions to air dry laundry:

Air dry washing - TipThePlanet

I use one of the standing racks with fold-out wings, and one of the tiny, circular, hanging racks with swivel, clothes pins.

Googling came up with an electric spinner:

Spin Dryer

Here's another, at $570,

Here is Haier's list:

Can anyone report how well the tiny Haier machines handle heavy blankets?
SJ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 09:21 AM   #28
3 Rivet Member
2007 28' International CCD
West Hollywood , California
We already have a forced-air furnace. So how about directing the heated air to dry the clothes? One could route a vent pipe with shutter valves to where you hang your clothes or even a tumbler...

Astroboy is offline   Reply With Quote