Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Washer/Dryer & Dishwashers
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-30-2016, 02:58 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Clovis , New Mexico
Observation on Ventless Washer/Dryer Combo

Hi all. Not a Airstream owner yet but very soon. I am in Saudi for work for a extended period of time and the washer/dryer I have in the place I am staying at is the often talked about "Vent-less" kind I comments on here and other RV sites.

Most of us since we never have seen one have to take a leap of faith in buying it but I am forced to use it here. The brand is one I never have heard of but my whole kitchen here is equipped with this brand. I live in a Villa Compound here in Riyadh Saudi so no choice on it as I essentially "rent". The brand is Tecnogas.

So this thing has alot of settings. You basically set the desired wash cycle, amount of drying time and RPM for the drum. The higher the setting on the RPM the more high pitched it gets from the spinning. This unit has a internal heater for the water so there are a variety of internal water temperature points.

Some things I notice on it. When its to full everything comes out very wrinkled. I have some dryer balls on the way so perhaps that will alleviate it. I'm a Defense Contractor and was US Marines before that and not to much Ironing in my world but if I pack it I am doing a nights worth of Ironing.

To alleviate the wrinkles I have packed less...usually do a load of laundry every 2 days. I never in my life have used fabric softener but if you read up on how that stuff works eliminating wrinkles is one of the side effects. I have found that helps immensely.

Being that I am doing alot smaller loads I use a fraction of the recommended amount of laundry detergent. The detergent I am using is Persil which is a German Brand. American brands are very expensive here and I had no interest in using Saudi brands. Normally in the states I use Gain or Tide Pods.

So after the wash cycle is done it automatically goes into the dry cycle. Its different from the aspect as it sounds like its washing your clothes still. The manual states the higher the RPM the more moisture is evaporated so I keep it at 1200 or 1400.

When its finished washing/drying and you open it you will swear your clothes are still wet but its the moisture from the unit exiting. By the time I throw my clothes on the bed they feel dry. I have yet to dry anything I own on a 30 min dry cycle. Normally its 60 or 90 minutes that is required.

I would say this would be a great addition to a RV...its pretty small. The downside is it can't hold much without having to iron literally everything...including my undershirts. If you don't put a large load in then then your stuff doing clothes every day or every other day.

In terms of saving energy I don't think the pro vent-less dryer people take into account the huge amount of energy a Iron uses or the fact your washing more. Is it convenient? Very much so actually. I would add one of these to a Airstream if there is room in a heart beat.

Anyhow hope you liked my review!

powerwiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 07:26 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Thanks for the review, we have researched them for our house, limited space and weight in our Airstream is better used otherwise. Some people seem to love these and others hate them, we're all for energy conservation in our lifestyle.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 07:47 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Consider the climate you are operating in. The water has to go somewhere and attempting to dry in a climate that can have humidity close to 100% might be a problem. We doubt travel on a desert over here.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 08:19 AM   #4
Home of Vortex tuning

2013 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Spearfish , South Dakota
I had a vented one in my Alfa, I didn't get the increase in humidity inside my rig as the dryer worked.
I had the same wrinkle problem, did use a fabric softener, I dried them to just a bit damp, then layed out the clothes on the bed and hand smoothed and stacked them out to dry. Arizona it took two days, stacks smooth, dry, and ready to fold.
Old 07-30-2016, 10:00 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Clovis , New Mexico
Thanks for the comments guys! One other observation...the inner seal which seems to be the bain of front loaders...class action lawsuit pending actually..is not a issue here. The heat and moisture seem to clean it out. My inner rubber seal whenever I take a disinfectant wipe to clean it comes out squeaky clean save for some lint.

All in all pleased with it. Required some adjusting but hey its compact saves some energy.

I would like to see actual power use though with washing more, and now ironing some. I doubt I am saving anything in the bigger picture. It is nice, compact and does the job.

I for sure will be getting one when I get back to USA and finally get a Airstream.
Old 07-30-2016, 12:46 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
If you don't vent the dryer you will have a rolling sauna. IMHO
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 01:23 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Lafayette , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by TG Twinkie View Post
If you don't vent the dryer you will have a rolling sauna.
Not with ventless dryers (which have been in use in Europe for years). They use a dehumidifier-like system which extracts the water out of the air coming from the wet laundry.

Here is an explanation: http://laundry.reviewed.com/features...entless-dryers

Tim
Tim A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 02:36 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Middletown , California
Way cool that these dryers condense the moisture! I didn't know that was what they did and that would make it feasible to use in an Airstream or other RV. I run a dehumidifier in my trailer when there is more than 1 or 2 days of rain to keep the moisture down and let my rain gear dry. The dehumidifier uses 700 watts so helps heat the trailer so I always thought it was a great addition to my living comfort. So maybe for taking up a little more space I could have a dryer that also dries the air when needed. Probably would need slight modification to dryer airflow path like adding a little flap or door but might be worth doing. Then again sometimes I think I have too much stuff crammed into my trailer, like when climbing a steep grade!
ijustlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 03:31 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2007 28' Classic
Ivanhoe , Virginia
Ventless Asher/dryer combo

We had a ventless in our fifth wheel which is the only thing I miss. I put clothes in every night, and soap and softener, and set it to come on, wash only, about the time we get up. Then I had the luxury of being able to hang them on a rack outside. We never had dirty clothes and they looked like they had been ironed. In an apartment you probably don't have that option. When I used the dryer function, I still set it on wash only and then shook the clothes out and put them back in to dry--usually. If you get clothes out the second the dryer stops, shake them and lay out they will not be very wrinkled and will be dry by the time you get them folded. I spent about 10 minutes a day doing laundry and no horrible laundromats.
horseylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 02:41 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

Clovis , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by TG Twinkie View Post
If you don't vent the dryer you will have a rolling sauna. IMHO
Vent-less dryers work different...they dont vent the air into the room. The moisture condensates and is pumped out. I think you have how they work confused. They dry at a much lower temperature at well. The humidity I was referring to is the quick blast of hot moist air that comes out when you open the door.
Old 07-31-2016, 02:43 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

Clovis , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by horseylady View Post
We had a ventless in our fifth wheel which is the only thing I miss. I put clothes in every night, and soap and softener, and set it to come on, wash only, about the time we get up. Then I had the luxury of being able to hang them on a rack outside. We never had dirty clothes and they looked like they had been ironed. In an apartment you probably don't have that option. When I used the dryer function, I still set it on wash only and then shook the clothes out and put them back in to dry--usually. If you get clothes out the second the dryer stops, shake them and lay out they will not be very wrinkled and will be dry by the time you get them folded. I spent about 10 minutes a day doing laundry and no horrible laundromats.
I tried that last night. Worked alot better. The high RPM of the unit had pancaked all my clothes. Shook out and they tumble dried like normal. Thanks!