Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-01-2017, 07:02 PM   #1

1972 27' Overlander
Maple ridge , BC
Talking Black to Gray tank conversion?

Hello everyone. This site is fantastic and has already been a huge help to my husband and I as we renovate our 1972 27' overlander.
We've just removed both the fresh water tank and the black tank. It would appear that the gray and black were combined as we have been unable to locate a 3rd tank.
I originally thought that the smaller hole was a vent but it seems as though this is the entrance for the gray water and would be vented further along the plumbing line.
We will be installing a composting toilet and have no need for a black tank. We'd like to cap off the black entrance to the tank and use this solely as a gray tank.
Is this possible?
See photo

Thanks for your help
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	532.0 KB
ID:	279052  
Bearstreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 07:23 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1972 Argosy 20
Snoqualmie , Washington
Others with much more knowledge than me will respond, but I don't believe your trailer had a combined gray/black tank. In that era the gray water tank was generally let to drain out onto the ground via a hose away (hopefully) from the camp site.

As far as turning the black water tank into a gray water tank, you can do that but you will need to re-rout your gray water lines to drain into the tank.
DryFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 07:28 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1972 Argosy 20
Snoqualmie , Washington
Check out post #9 by TG Twinkie. As usual, he pretty much nails it.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f353...art-89791.html
Old 02-02-2017, 08:54 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1972 Argosy 20
Snoqualmie , Washington
For some reason I can't figure out how to edit this post, so, in my first response I said "In that era the gray water tank was generally let to drain out onto the ground", I meant to say "In that era the gray water was generally let to drain onto the ground". Again, I don't think you had a gray water tank

Sorry for the confusing post
Old 02-02-2017, 09:03 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
Airstream didn't start adding grey tanks until midway through '73, so even '73s are hit and miss as to whether they have grey tanks. Black tanks are generally much smaller than grey tanks, so you may find it's not enough for you, depending on your hook up situation (in regards to trailers ). It is possible to add another tank and gang them together to have 2 grey tanks. We added 2 grey tanks ganged together when we rebuilt our trailer. We have the black tank still since we have a flush toilet. Hubby built our tanks.
Good luck!

Kay
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 11:16 AM   #6
HotelCaliGal

1958 22' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
1991 35' Airstream 350
portola valley , California
We did exactly this to our '58 '22 FC. We removed the black tank and it is now grey tank and we replaced the frsh water tank with a new fresh water tank. We also added a Nature's head composting toilet. Makes boondocking a lot easier!!
Driftin Di is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 04:00 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1970 25' Tradewind
anderson , South carolina
Black-gray tank

Simply leave the drain valve closed and the gray water will automatically run into the black tank. When full drain all of it same time by hooking up drain hose and open valve. Good luck Toaster.
Bob Cooke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 07:45 PM   #8

1972 27' Overlander
Maple ridge , BC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Cooke View Post
Simply leave the drain valve closed and the gray water will automatically run into the black tank. When full drain all of it same time by hooking up drain hose and open valve. Good luck Toaster.
Thanks! We're starting the plumbing from scratch. This may be a stupid question but does the tank need to be vented? Or can we use the smaller opening for the gray input?
Do you have any suggestions on how we can plug the black waste opening?

Thanks again and thanks to everyone for your helpful comments!
Old 02-03-2017, 05:32 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
Yes, grey tanks need to be vented.

Kay
Old 02-04-2017, 09:05 AM   #10

1972 27' Overlander
Maple ridge , BC
Does anyone have any ideas on how we can convert this? Plugging the black hole maybe? But keeping the vent?
Old 02-05-2017, 10:28 AM   #11

1972 27' Overlander
Maple ridge , BC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driftin Di View Post
We did exactly this to our '58 '22 FC. We removed the black tank and it is now grey tank and we replaced the frsh water tank with a new fresh water tank. We also added a Nature's head composting toilet. Makes boondocking a lot easier!!
How did you convert the black to grey? Thanks
Old 02-06-2017, 04:14 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
We didn't on ours. Hubby built new tanks from materials he got from a local supplier. Stinky work welding plastic, but he did it out in his workshop. The advantage is that we could build any configuration we wanted. And it was considerably cheaper than buying new for us. He built 2 grey tanks, and 1 black tank. Our original black tank was still good, but we wanted to change the drain hole, and didn't want to try to plug it - iffy at best to do that for leaks. Not to mention, you're working with something full of bacteria (and not real nice bacteria). His technique is in our "Little Girl Refurb" thread under the 1970's section.

Kay
Old 02-06-2017, 05:39 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Oxford, , Mississippi
We use a portable "blue-boy" for grey water when at campgrounds with no sewer.
On a 68, the grey water runs out "downstream" of the dump valve. The only way of using the black tank for grey water is if you have a cap on the fitting where you hook up the "stinky slinky". If you do that, when you dump you will have to close the valve and open the cap to hook up the hose-resulting all the water in the end of the pipe running on to the ground. If you used the toilet it will be a nasty mess.
68 Trade Wind
2001 Toyota Tundra
68 TWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 05:48 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
hartselle , Alabama
[QUOTE=Minno;1907005]Airstream didn't start adding grey tanks until midway through '73, so even '73s are hit and miss as to whether they have grey tanks.

This is correct as my 73 has no grey tank. I too use a blue boy at campgrounds with no sewer hookups for my grey water.
1973Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 06:20 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Denver , North Carolina
I just finished a 72 Overlander that year does not have a grey tank as others have said. The smaller hole is the black tank vent. And the grey water did not flow into the black tank. It is usually a separate 2 3/4 " sanitary pipe that Siameses after the black tank valve. Mixing black and grey is bad business for a variety of reasons not the least of which is the possibility of allowing gasses back into your trailer, you could also wind up with a heck of a mess should the black tank backup into your grey system. What you can consider is using your old fresh tank as a grey tank ( take a look inside you won't want your fresh water stored in that [emoji12]). All tanks need a to be vented. On thing you might take a look at is a device called a Hepvco valve, this will replace the P trap under your tub the goes through the floor. Another idea I see above is the Natures head composting system, if you don't want to mess with a black tank these are a good option as are cassette or porta potties. Also, you'll probably need to replace the tank and the galvanized box it comes in - keep the foam angles thing cause I was not able to find a replacement for it and that is what provides the angle to make your tank Drain properly. In closing - if you need help, PM me , I'll be happy to help.

Lucky Dave, Denver NC
mccrosti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 03:24 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
felton , California
black to grey, divert valve ?

just about to have my black converted to grey & install a composting toilet but wish to use a divert valve so if next owner wants to go back to a flushing toilet, no issues.
is this possible? an easy valve to send shower & sink wash water into Black tank ? My Landyacht has a 21 black gallon tank ... so I guess enough for a few quick showers for weekend camping.

thanks
nickclifford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 09:59 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

1986 34' Excella
Tai O , Lantau Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickclifford View Post
just about to have my black converted to grey & install a composting toilet but wish to use a divert valve so if next owner wants to go back to a flushing toilet, no issues.

is this possible? an easy valve to send shower & sink wash water into Black tank ? My Landyacht has a 21 black gallon tank ... so I guess enough for a few quick showers for weekend camping.

thanks

Interested too
MCPC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 11:20 AM   #18
1 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
ENFIELD , NS
me too
joeybravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 06:49 AM   #19
1 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Howe , Indiana
Plug?

I scanned through this thread and didn’t see where anyone said what can be used to plug the existing black water tank hole where the old toilet used to be. I have this same AS and am eliminating the black tank as well, but I need a plug for it before I can install my composting toilet in its place.
rogerssj23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
black tank, conversion, gray tank, gray water tank, help wanted