Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-25-2012, 12:24 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Gig Harbor , Washington
If your cooling capacity is marginal why not just get another small window or portable AC unit. It too will dehumidify and as an added bonus cool as well. When you don't need it don't use it. Sometimes you guys make things way to complicated. Something I am usually very good at.

Dan
Old 07-25-2012, 05:32 AM   #22
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
The OP asked about a dehumidifier not a second Aircon. Yes a small second unit might work. Jim
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 05:37 AM   #23
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
Tampa Bay , ^
The real benefit of having a dehumidifier running is to keep the inside of the trailer from getting damp and moldy. When you go inside on the hottest day, it feels dry. That is a real jump start for your AC as well. It will cool it down faster. Definitely worth having if you have the space and are on shore power... and, in the HEAT!

Sneakinup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 06:38 AM   #24
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
I run a dehumidifier for when I am away from the trailer (8-14 hrs daily) in combination with the AC set to a higher temperature. My "utility bill" (at the RV park) is high, relatively, but after a long day of work in & out of humid 95-105F temps, I am pleased to come home to cool, dry & comfortable air. I use a floor standing, rolling dehumidifier purchased at LOWES a few years back for the last trailer. I usually need to dump 1-2 gallons of water once at home (toilet fill, or used for cleaning [distilled]).

slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 07:11 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
I had never even considered buying a dehumidifier before reading this thread. I went to 5 local businesses yesterday after work. Only one even carried them and they only had one model for over $200. Other suggestion was use a small window type AC unit. This I can buy for under $100 almost anywhere. Not sure I want to go this route as I would have to remove a window and really don't wish to go that far. Most of my windows barely work as it is. Does anyone have any suggestions for an affordable dehumidifier that would do a proper job of it in a 17ft Bambi II?

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 07:20 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Check post # 19 links. I bought this one because of it's compact size and small 25 pint capacity. It has been plenty large enough (capacity) for my 30'er in the cool weather. I will use it this weekend in some nasty hot humid weather in southern Illinois along with the A/C and report back.
I have seen cheaper ones at the big box stores, just shop around for awhile. I just wanted the easy to store size. I bungee mine inside the closet. Far less bulky than the higher capacity ones. 25 pints are not as common. a couple of other brands out there as well.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 08:21 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
dznf0g: That looks just what I need. Just placed my order, Thank you,

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
Old 07-25-2012, 11:55 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
dznf0g: That looks just what I need. Just placed my order, Thank you,
You're welcome. did you get the humidistat as well, or are you just going to run it "full bore"?

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
Old 07-25-2012, 12:26 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
For right now just going to run it "full bore". I ordered it for a good price. From "Air & Water" with a 15% discount code, $143 delivered. Hopefully it will help with the sky high humidity we are having this year. The size and performance looks just about perfect for my little trailer.

Old 07-25-2012, 01:27 PM   #30
Rivet Master

1986 32' Excella
Currently Looking...
Canton , Georgia
Fascinating thread! We have often debated and discussed this.
Skatiero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 01:38 PM   #31
4 Rivet Member

I live in semitropical Louisiana and have long used a dehumidifier in my trailer. It really helps, both summer and winter.

I originally bought it to keep mold from growing while the trailer is parked. I have also found it very useful while camping to keep things comfortable. I think it is better than trying to install a second air conditioning unit. I have found that my air conditioner is quite adequate while the dehumidifer is in use. I am much more comfortable in a dry and slightly warmer atmosphere than a cooler but clammy one which always feels, well, cool and clammy.
Airstreamer67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 02:52 PM   #32
Rivet Master

1982 34' Limited
Brunswick , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
For right now just going to run it "full bore". I ordered it for a good price. From "Air & Water" with a 15% discount code, $143 delivered. Hopefully it will help with the sky high humidity we are having this year. The size and performance looks just about perfect for my little trailer.
Chief: I think it will make a difference in your AS. You will have to report back once you get it up and running!
WBCCI #3321
TAC #GA-24
c_lewis77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 07:19 AM   #33
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by c_lewis77 View Post
Chief: I think it will make a difference in your AS. You will have to report back once you get it up and running!
Will do, Shipping was free (meaning the slow way) and should be here middle to end of next week.

Old 10-08-2012, 12:31 PM   #34
Airstream Newby

1975 25' Tradewind
Florence , South Carolina
After reading this thread a while back, I ordered the dehumidifier in #19 and have been using it since. We use it while parked to keep it dry and while camping to keep up comfortable. i have found that running it along with the AC in the evening is very beneficial to our comfort. Without it, we would run the AC, but the compressor was not always running so we would wake up with a damp feeling. After using the dehumidifier and the AC, we are much more comfortable sleeping and our beds feel fresher when we go to bed.
CMSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 12:34 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMSmith View Post
After reading this thread a while back, I ordered the dehumidifier in #19 and have been using it since. We use it while parked to keep it dry and while camping to keep up comfortable. i have found that running it along with the AC in the evening is very beneficial to our comfort. Without it, we would run the AC, but the compressor was not always running so we would wake up with a damp feeling. After using the dehumidifier and the AC, we are much more comfortable sleeping and our beds feel fresher when we go to bed.
I found the same thing.

Old 11-06-2012, 06:44 PM   #36
3 Rivet Member

2009 27' FB International
_ , North Carolina
I have full timed for a year and a half so far and counting. I live in NW Florida and it is humid almost all the time. I bought one for the winter last year and it helps with the humidity. During the summer the AC is always on so the inside stays around 20-30% humidity (according to my temp/humidity gauge I have). During the winter if I don't keep the dehumidifier on I am usually around 60% humidity with it off and with it on it is around 30%.

I don't sleep with it on because I store it in my bedroom, but I turn it on during the day/evening which helps out a lot with humidity in my trailer.
FLMarine is offline   Reply With Quote