Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-03-2011, 10:50 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Rock Salt Dehumidifier

I recentally watched a utube video called RV Quick Tips. In the video someone suggests using rock salt in buckets to dehumidify an RV in storage. There are a few tips in the link and the one I'm refering to is in the middle.
Here's the video:

I wonder if it could cause corrosion of the interior of Airstreams?

What do you think?
Old 06-03-2011, 11:12 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Well, we do know "they all leak." Time to have a leak test if that is happening.

But salt? I don't think this would be any more effective than the slow action of DampRid (ten threads at the forum discuss this product). I store inside during the cold months -- shut all doors, windows & vents and I do leave an open container of damp rid inside our Safari. Don't really use the stuff during camping season.

Damp weather, cooking or breathing condensation are somewhat separate issues. What are you trying to address?

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 11:31 AM   #3
Liberator

1972 Argosy 24
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Heart of Dixie , Alabama
Pepper works better, and some brown rice...a little butter.

How do you de-humid the salt ?
1972 Argosy 24'...
1954 Feathercraft Vagabond
klattu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 11:41 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2004 19' International CCD
Los Angeles , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by klattu View Post
Pepper works better, and some brown rice...a little butter.
Oh yum... little soy sauce, japanese brocoli, white meat chicken and we have a meal!

When there are so many other options I dont see myself ever using rock salt or other foods to dry out my 'stream. Call me paranoid.
SoCalStreamr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 12:01 PM   #5
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
The use of desiccants for dehumidification is nothing new but in an area that isn't completely sealed the desiccant has to be of high capacity and must be replaced or dried out regularly.

Rock salt isn't very effective. Silica gel will hold much more water, both by weight or by volume.

To dehumidify an Airstream would require the removal of many pounds of water per day. Even an effective desiccant would have to be replaced or dried out (in an oven) every few days.
Attached Images

Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 04:10 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
The idea of using rock salt intrigued me, so I thought I'd ask around to get other thoughts on the idea.
I use DampRid when the trailer is all buttoned up, in storage, and only get about 1/4 cup a month in damp weather when the temps fluctuate quite a bit.
I have used electric dehumidifiers in the past when I had electric available, while the trailer was in storage, and when I didn't live in Ft. Worth.
Here, there seems little or no need for dehumifiing.
Still I thought that it might be interesting to hear some other thoughts on the subject, as I might move to another part of the country someday and could pull this info out of my head if needed.
So, what you guys are saying is, forget the salt idea.
I hear you, and I'll just file it away under nonsense, in the dark corner of my gray matter.
Thanks,
Bluto
Old 06-03-2011, 04:51 PM   #7
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
I think it's a fine idea. I would only use it while the RV is in storage and closed up. The neat part is you can just pitch the salt in your water softener when it starts to get a little moist.

So it costs nothing and is easy to dispose of. Of course you need to have a water softener to make this work.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote