Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-31-2009, 05:55 AM   #21
3 Rivet Member

2011 30' Flying Cloud
North Falmouth , Massachusetts
Ozone

Ozone is an unstable molecule consisting of 3 oxygen atoms. Oxygen has a valence of 2 and, thus, the stable molecule is two atoms of oxygen. Ozone has a negative charge since one of its free electrons is not shared. It is highly reactive and oxidizes other molecules, including those that cause odors of mildew or worse. When they are oxidized they don't stink anymore. Ozone can also oxidize other molecules, apparently including plastics...don't know much about that! We have used an ozone generator in the bilge of our previously owned boat and it was very effective in eliminating bilge odors.
dick&claire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 09:01 AM   #22
1972 Travelux Princess 25

Cobourg , Ontario
By the way some nutritionists recommend taking "anti oxidants" for better health and to slow down aging.

So breathing something that CAUSES oxidation seems like a step in the wrong direction.
Old 02-02-2009, 07:11 AM   #23
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Send a message via Yahoo to AIR-Quarius Send a message via Skype™ to AIR-Quarius
Ha! I would take everything in moderation...We use a peak 03 and use the ionizer full time...and the ozone (03) part, we use when we go out on errands (full blast!) and then clear out the house upon return...all the while researching and asking people like yourselves about ozone and what it does...I had heard that this ozone process causes whatever impure thing is floating around, to adhere to any nearby surface...We currently are in Southeast Oklahoma where there is plenty of dust and got tired of wiping dust from monitor screens (tv pc etc) Before on certain days you could see dust particles hoovering in a sunbeam....
Old 02-04-2009, 04:34 PM   #24
3 Rivet Member

1974 27' Overlander
Puyallup , Washington
I purchased a "Fresh Air To Go" by Ecoquest and started using it in our Airstream about a week ago. It's designed for approx 500 sq. ft. or less. I have been running it full blast while I'm at work, and the trailer definitely smells fresher when I return. Sometimes I will run it at a lower setting in the bathroom or bedroom, while I'm in the trailer. I'm trying to be cautious, though, because of some of the warnings I've read here and elsewhere on the internet about the effects of ozone on the respiratory system. These units retail for around $250, but they can be found on Ebay for about $50 or so (I paid $70 including shipping for a new one on Ebay).
somefun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 09:01 AM   #25
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Send a message via Yahoo to AIR-Quarius Send a message via Skype™ to AIR-Quarius
I woke up this morning ...looked in a mirror, and looked younger! (just kidding)!
Old 03-21-2011, 09:00 AM   #26
1 Rivet Member

1987 29' Sovereign
viareggio , italy
see this company. they developed a line of ozonizers for travel trailers: Protea srl - Promozione Tecnologie Ambientali
interno6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 08:59 AM   #27
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
He is dead on about the dangers and hazards of Ozone. Ozone is produced by breaking down oxygen (O2) in the presence of UV light. You end up with unstable ozone or (O3) which breaks down into (O2) and (O) atomic oxygen. Atomic oxygen will react with anything it touches. It will eat plastic tarnish metal, and it will burn any part of you it touches. Plastic reacts with Oxygen in the air slowly and becomes brittle and cracks and so do rubbers. Ozone is the equivalent of Bleach, or Hydrogen Peroxide. It breaks down odors because it breaks them into smaller molecules. It is a great antiseptic.

Space craft in low earth orbit have a hard time living with atomic oxygen. It will eat plastics, paints, and anything organic. The medical industry uses atomic oxygen generators for sterilizing instruments.

Just for background, the atomic oxygen in low earth orbit is the product of UV breaking down O2 into O3 which breaks down into 02 and O. O3 ozone is a strong absorber of UV and blocks a lot of the more dangerous UV before it hits your skin.

Perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilvrSausage View Post
Ozone generators are GREAT for intractible odor cases. For this use, you'll need to spend pretty big bucks for an industrial strength one.

Ozone is VERY reactive, it will accelerate aging in plastic, fade some fabric, that kind of thing. You want to use it for a few days as a "shock treatment" not a constant always-on device. For that, use a HEPA filter with or without negative ion generation.

DANGER! Ozone is dangerous to living things! A mechanic I know was running one in a boat he was working on, and he ignored the warnings. He almost died, literally. For months afterward, he was having lung problems, and coughing up dead, sloughed bronchial tubes! DON'T use it in an occupied space, and air out your trailer (or whatever) before going inside!
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 12:14 PM   #28
4 Rivet Member

1953 25' Cruiser
Canton , Mississippi
I have read and confirmed in my own case that after a while, your sense of smell becomes de-sensitized to the smell of ozone. It appears that your ozone generator is not putting out as it did when you first purchased it, so you run it longer and longer. It definitely will degrade plastics. I only use mine for short periods of time and do not breath it in when it is running.
dmreilly10000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 12:23 PM   #29
4 Rivet Member

1953 25' Cruiser
Canton , Mississippi
Here is another series of old posts on ozone generators.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f168...html#post13043

Hope this helps.
dmreilly10000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 06:36 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Small Town , *** Big Sky Country ***Western Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganaraska View Post
You should also know that ozone deteriorates rubber, plastic, paint etc.

When your tires dry out and crack, or when plastic panels in an old trailer crumble, that's ozone at work.

The ozone works by oxidizing everything it comes in contact with.
It is well known that leakage of ozone generated either by UV or electrical discharge spark and used in hot tubs (for biological / sanitizing reasons instead of chlorine) tends to destroy rubber / silicone sealing in the tub enclosure / housing very quickly. CAUTION IS IN ORDER whenever there is not sufficient air movement to dilute the ozone concentration. It is very effective in removing odors, but at a long term cost / risk.
Terminal Aluminitis; 2-people w/ 3+ dogs
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 07:26 PM   #31
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Yet there is nothing else like it for removing old trailer funk. Allowing Uncle Lester to park a trailer out back of Cousin Myrtles place and "living" in it for the six years before he passed . . . well, we can all be grateful for commercial ozone generators to change the aura, the halo, hello, the stink.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 06:19 AM   #32
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1985 25' Sovereign
South Central Rockies... , "...'Stream'n the Dream" thru the USA
Great info on eliminating odors... Thanks!

WBCCI: 2197; AIR #: 36503; TAC #: NM-5

MaxAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 09:10 AM   #33
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Does it get rid of them long term or do the odors come back?

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 12:19 AM   #34
1 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
Dallas , Texas
From my experience with using one for 4 years the odor does not come back unless the source of the odor remains. Off gassing from carpet, for example, will continue until the carpet is removed or it "runs out of gas". I used the ozone generator in my house after new carpet was installed, for about 3 years off and on, more in the hot summer. Research how ozone works and you will see. It will neutralize perfumed deodorants in a motel room until they spray the room again.
rhansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 01:17 AM   #35
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1985 25' Sovereign
South Central Rockies... , "...'Stream'n the Dream" thru the USA
I've learned that many "older" rigs may have mice/rodent infestation between the skins of the trailer... tough smell to deal with for sure.

WBCCI: 2197; AIR #: 36503; TAC #: NM-5

MaxAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 10:01 AM   #36
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang View Post
I have been in a room with an Ozon Generator (book shlef type) My sinuses go crazy and my throat gets dry ans scratchy
You are not supposed to be in the room with an ozone generator.
It's bad for you, not sure why since thunderstorms always made the air fresh smelling.
Mine runs for two hours, max, then shuts off. I air the place out and then return.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 11:45 AM   #37
Streamline Imperial

Currently Looking...
Bellflower , California
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
You are not supposed to be in the room with an ozone generator.
It's bad for you, not sure why since thunderstorms always made the air fresh smelling.
Mine runs for two hours, max, then shuts off. I air the place out and then return.
Absolutely do not breathe in an ozone enriched area!

I knew a guy who had a commercial ozone generator in his boat, he went inside to do some work without shutting it off and airing it out. He nearly died! He was hospitalized for weeks, coughing up tubes of dead bronchial tissue, and months later still had not made a full recovery.

Thunderstorms and air fresheners produce negative ions, which charge floating particulates and odor molecules causing them to stick to surfaces, hence the fresh smell.

A commercial ozone generator for decontaminating a musty confined space like a trailer is NOT an air freshener or toy! It's a serious tool that produces DANGEROUS levels of ozone in confined spaces. Always air out a treated space before breathing inside after ozone treatment.

1971 Streamline Imperial project "Silver Snausage", 1985 Coleman tent trailer, 1964 Little Dipper, 1975 Northwest "Proto Toyhauler", 2004 Harbor Freight folding, still seeking my Airstream.
SilvrSausage is offline   Reply With Quote