Old 05-21-2014, 10:25 AM   #15
1 Rivet Member
1969 31' Sovereign
Rock Hill , South Carolina
Musty odors and mold can be eliminated with a RGF Photohydroionization unit. It plugs into a two plug 110V plug. The process is one where all organic material is oxidized by low level ozone, super oxide ions, hydro-peroxides, passive negative ions and UV light targeted on a hydrated tri-metallic target. In layman's terms, it zaps all organic material including bacteria, mold, odor and VOC's. They are not cheap (about $600 EA) but you can also use it in your home when not in the trailer. You can find more information on their website or send me a private message to discuss further.

popacliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 11:48 AM   #16

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Possibly a new record for reviving an old thread! After 11 years, I hope the original poster has figured out how to deal with their musty trailer

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 10:19 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member
1955 22' Flying Cloud
1977 23' Safari
1986 34' Limited
Idaho Falls , Idaho
Old thread...

Even if it's an old thread, I read everything I come across. Never know when it will come in handy, and all is grist for my [ignorant] mill! I would also like to know what the results were for the original poster!

Reading a thread like this, I am SO thankful that we moved long ago to a high desert state. Even our oldies have decent sub flooring, and if you keep/get the critters out, there are no odors at all. Having said that, even clearing out from our newly-purchased '59 Overlander two dead birds and finding a third one last month (forgot to check under the front gaucho) resulted in no odors; poor things were just all dried up.

Richard and Vivian
Caliban The Wonder Dog: gone but not forgotten
Too many vintage A/Ss...
Landshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 06:25 PM   #18
1973 29' Ambassador
North Branch , Minnesota
Musty odor

I was just about to ask the same question about the musty odor in a 1973 Airstream. We have had it for 2 years and it doesn't get any better. We have done everything you described plus washed the curtains and I've put the upholstered pieces out in the sun for a day. I plan to have them recovered at some point. Have new appliances. The bathroom subfloor was replaced just before we bought it. Was told to wash down the surfaces with a 17% or more hydrogen peroxide solution. Anyone have any luck with getting rid of it?
darroldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 09:17 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member
1974 25' Tradewind
Calgary , Alberta
We got a 1974 Tradewind about a month ago and are planning to do a full rebuild... it has the musty smell and I expect it will stay until we get all the old fabric and wood out. The musty smell has stale cigarette smoke undertones and the upper interior surfaces are tacky to the touch and yellowed, so I think one of the previous owners were smokers.

So far we've removed the old carpet (probably a second generation replacement), underlay, and tack strips with little change in the tang in the air; the plywood that we can see has some stains where water has been but no soft spots found so far. Still I think we will end up replacing part of the floor and once we're in that far it may be just as easy to do the whole thing and that way we can be sure that there is nothing growing in there.
Alumineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 11:19 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member
1972 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
felton , California
Hi there, I'm becoming more aware of the dangers of mould after just watching a recent documentary called Mould ! My '72 has a slight odor was truly awful when I first got it, I threw out all the old bedding and gaucho. Wish I'd kept the curtains and just had them thoroughly cleaned but it was so dusty and dirty inside decided to discard too. I kept the carpet but replaced the padding under layer, it cleaned up nicely with a professional clean but after watching the documentary on how serious mould is I'm going to replace that too with new carpet tiles as definitely some black stains under the carpet that could be mould.
Most of the smell has gone now but it's still not quite right, if replacing the carpet doesn't solve will have to dig deeper. I've ordered a mould test kit as well.
Any thoughts on mould mitigation would be more than welcome .. I'd bet a good number on vintage trailers could have mould issues knowing how these trailers can leak ...
nickclifford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 12:18 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
last but not least - not least by any means - if all else fails consider that you've had mice between the walls. Remove a small section of the inside skin and if you find a bunch of mouse trails and droppings, you'll have to remove the entire inner skin and replace the insulation to get rid of the stench.

Today is a gift, that's why they call it the present.
Foiled Again is offline   Reply With Quote