Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-08-2005, 07:26 AM   #1
Retired Old Bill

1973 31' Excella 500
Clermont , Florida
Send a message via Yahoo to tincanholiday
Dehumidifier

I am looking to run a dehumidifier inside the Airstream at all times, I have looked at the threads but still have these questions. I am hoping to drain it down the kitchen sink and into my home septic, I will run it 24 x7 when its parked at home. Will it really help or is it like putting a humidifier and a dehumidifier in a room and letting them fight it out, I live in FLORIDA..... Is there a good economic brand? I would like to hear some tips - Thanks
Old 09-08-2005, 07:34 AM   #2
Rivet Master

One thing to keep in mind is that your dehumidifier will be trying to dry out the water in the 4 traps, i.e washbasin, sink, shower and W.C. To prevent this I add a few drops of cooking vegetable oil to each trap before starting the dehumidifier. If you keep the windows, vents and door closed, the dehumidifier will have done its job after a couple of days, and you could experiment by switching it off. (ozone layer etc...), until the next time you open the door. Nick.
Old 09-08-2005, 07:44 AM   #3

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Oh it will help a great deal. We don't deal with the extreme humidity like you have in Fla. but if I was doing it I might consider putting the dehumidifier in the shower basin. Much easier to allow the drain hose to dump in that drain than high up on a sink.

I have one in my basement and for all intents from a brand standpoint I think they are about the same. Most places sell either a unit that can eliminate 25 pints or 40 pints of water a day. The difference in these two are pretty much weight and compressor/evaporator size. If your trailer is closed up, a 25 pint unit will probably work well. If you leave a hatch open for ventilation, then it pretty useless.

It will usually have a thermostat so you can adjust the amount of humidty that it removes. The unit will cycle then which will save some electric.

The only other consideration is the heat from running the unit. In a closed trailer in the sun, that unit will be working under a high heat load. For all intents consider it a little refrigerator with the cold coils condensing the humidity and the exhaust heat dumping into the same area. I'm not sure what the effiency would be in that type of environment.

From a cost standpoint watch the sales and summer closeouts. Sam's Club usually sell some at a good price but at this point they probably have already switched over to their fall/winter seasonal stuff so you may not find any in stock.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 08:17 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1993 30' Excella
whitewater , north of cheddar curtain
most floridians run the a/c in their houses at 78-80 degrees w/ceiling fan...
would it be too expensive to do likewise in your coach?
norby

The only true nobility is found through giving good food to your friends- Anton Careme

beauty is in the eye of the beerholder-cosmo fishhawk

if something is too good to be true, its usually gone before i get there-mister boffo
norbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 08:22 AM   #5
Retired Old Bill

1973 31' Excella 500
Clermont , Florida
Running the Air

I considered that, i was wondering whether if i put it on a lo setting and just let it always run that it would shorten the life of the unit, the fan always runs when the air is on and then it boosts when the thermostat clicks on, i think they all do that. I wonder what that would do to my electricity bills, in summer I pay around 350 to cool the house..... and in winter our bills are around 150....... I want to try and avoid the musty smell and the build up of mold on the walls when it is not in use.
Old 09-08-2005, 08:36 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1993 30' Excella
whitewater , north of cheddar curtain
cant blame you for not wanting odor and mold in your coach!....and only the monthly bill will tell your cost..one thought would be to build a timer to turn the power on and off...are your electric rates different for off peak hours?
norby

The only true nobility is found through giving good food to your friends- Anton Careme

beauty is in the eye of the beerholder-cosmo fishhawk

if something is too good to be true, its usually gone before i get there-mister boffo
norbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 08:36 AM   #7

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by tincanholiday
I considered that, i was wondering whether if i put it on a lo setting and just let it always run that it would shorten the life of the unit, the fan always runs when the air is on and then it boosts when the thermostat clicks on, i think they all do that.
Yep it would. That A/C unit is much more expensive to replace than a $100-$150 dehumidifier. The other thing is once you hit set point on the A/C unit, it shuts off and the dehumidification process stops. What's worse is that A/C units with continously running fans reintroduce humidity into the air due to the coils being wet with previously extracted moisture.

A dehumidifier runs based on moisture content in the air. So it can be 70 degrees in the trailer and it will still run. Something your A/C compressor will not do if the thermostat is set a 78.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 08:45 AM   #8
Retired Old Bill

1973 31' Excella 500
Clermont , Florida
Thanks

I think I will go with the dehumid in the shower and then put oil in the traps and see what happens. I love this website, I have learned more on here than I ever did at College.
Old 09-08-2005, 09:31 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
I run my AC for about 2 hours every week. Usually it stays hot enough to keep the inside dry. At 90 to 110 degrees, your not going to have much moisture buildup. Usually keep a window open and the Fantastic Fan on thermostat. I think I have worn out the motor now, though!!
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote