Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Marketplace > For Sale & Wanted > Parts Archive
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-28-2004, 07:53 AM   #1

Question Rear Passenger side window for a '78 TradeWind

I'm looking for a rear, passenger side window for a '78 Tradewind, 25 footer. The glass measures 19" x 28" and the frame 21 1/2" x 31". Also a door handle. I just got this trailer and am trying to fix it up some I'm sure I will need more parts for reasonable cost. If you refer me to someone, please include an email or phone number. Any help? Thanks. -Chris
Old 03-28-2004, 09:35 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Rear Passenger side window for a '78 TradwWind

Greetings Chris!

Welcome to the Forums and the world of Vintage Airstreaming!

Quote:
I'm looking for a rear, passenger side window for a '78 Tradewind, 25 footer. The glass measures 19" x 28" and the frame 21 1/2" x 31".
I don't know that they will have one, but Ace Fogdall RV in Cedar Falls, Iowa (a long-time Airstream dealer) is in the process of moving to a new location and have uncovered a number of vintage parts for 1960s through1980s Airstreams/Argosys. I didn't see a window of the size that you indicate listed on their web site, but it would be worth a try to e-mail Florence and Christy in the Parts Department to see if they may have uncovered one in your size. You can find Ace Fogdall's website at:

Ace Fogdall RV, Cedar Falls, Iowa

They have been a tremendous help to me in the restoration and refurbishment of both my '64 Overlander and '78 Minuet. They have been able to source most of the parts needed for both coaches, and have also done much of the labor as I am not much of a do-it-yourselfer.

Good luck with your parts search!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
Old 03-29-2004, 07:19 AM   #3

Thanks Kevin

Thanks Kevin, I will contact them. I notice you have a '75 caddy to pull your smaller trailer. I am fixing up a '60 fleetwood with a 390 engine to pull mine, any hints. I put airshocks and HD suspension on it so far. Will put an oversized radiator, transmission cooler and equilizer hitch on soon. Hope to have it all up and goin' by August. I also am not too handy, so I'm going from shop to shop. My '78 TradeWinds was run into a tree and has some damage including the window and the Awning brace was torn off on one side. Another project. Anyhow, I just wanted to say thanks for the reply. -Chris
Old 03-29-2004, 07:50 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Greetings Chris!

[/QUOTE]I notice you have a '75 caddy to pull your smaller trailer. I am fixing up a '60 fleetwood with a 390 engine to pull mine, any hints. I put airshocks and HD suspension on it so far. Will put an oversized radiator, transmission cooler and equilizer hitch on soon. Hope to have it all up and goin' by August. [QUOTE]

With my mid-70s Eldorado, cooling was a big issue even before prepping it for trailer towing. The only OEM radiators that I was able to find were 3-row cores that didn't have much reserve capacity (basically identical to the stock unit). My neighbor who operated a full-service body shop special ordered a four-row core heavy duty radiator and installed it; another local shop installed a 12,000 pound rated transmission fluid cooler. So far, the best test that I have had with this cooling setup was towing my Overlander home from Cedar Falls, Iowa (180 miles of mostly Interstate) - - on a 70 degree day the car remained within its normal operating temperature band.

My only reservation with pre-1970 model motors is whether they have been retrofitted with hardened valve seats to allow for operation on modern no-lead fuels. I learned my lesson on this issue with my first tow vehicle (1965 Dodge Coronet 500 with the 383 cubic inch HO V8) - - burned the valves on my first outing with the trailer resulting in more than $1,500 for new valves and machine work to insert hardened valve seats.

The one big advantage that you will have with your Fleetwood is that you can change the rear axle ratio much easier than the final drive on the front-wheel-drive Eldorado that I have - - to change from its current 2.70 final drive to the only other available ratio 3.50, I have been quoted prices of just under $2,000 - - one of the reasons the car is being limited to the Minuet where the need for gearing change is not evident.

Good luck with your tow-car project!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International