Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Marketplace > For Sale & Wanted > Parts Archive
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-02-2005, 09:40 PM   #1
Rivet Master

Free parts! Come and get them!

I have parts left from my unsuccessful attempt to renovate my Magic Chef range from my 77 Minuet.
It had been a mouse condo when it was had by the PO's.
I tried to clean it up but now I have a BRAND NEW range that I just installed tonight! Works great, even when it is 15 degrees outside! BRRR!!!!
I have everything left from the old range but it is in pieces now.
Here is what I have:
1. Stainless steel stove top with the grates and retainer clips.
2. Stainless steel oven door with the handle intact.
3. Magic Chef knobs.
4. Burners and burner tubes with the regulators.
5. All the rest of the unit.

I also have the incadescent 4-bulb circular light from the ceiling. It is not removed yet, but as soon as my Thin-Lite 109C comes in out it goes! The old one still works great but with the new fridge and stive the lights are looking dingy.
All you have to do is to pick them up or pay for the shipping via USPS.
As soon as the new 112C comes in that I have ordered the rectangular 3-light fixtures over the sink and in the bathroom will be up for grabs! If you want them, speak now.
I am trying to return the favor that a lot of you have done for me. Namely outerbanksdeb and sfixx. WONDERFUL people, thanks for all of your stuff! I may be thanking Deb a little ahead of schedule but what the heck!
Old 03-02-2005, 10:58 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
1974 31' Sovereign
Milton , ON
Hi Lou,
I'll take the range parts.
I've sent you an email about it.

Thanks,

Grant Davidson
Old 03-03-2005, 05:06 AM   #3
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Me too

If Grant doesn't take them, and if it is a 3 burner range, I would take the top and door, and the grates & clips.
I am still doing the backstroke here, but it can't last forever.
Old 03-03-2005, 05:08 AM   #4
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Me too

Fourth attempt...

I will take the top and grates, and the door, if it is a 3 burner stove, if Grant doesn't take them.
Old 03-03-2005, 05:09 AM   #5
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
And now the first post shows up...
And the fourth... Forums problems...
Sigh...
Old 03-03-2005, 05:57 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
NW of Boston , Massachusetts
What's the new one like?

Mind if I ask what kind of range you put in to replace the old one? I have a few of the parts from my Magic Chef on a newspaper on the kitchen floor right now in an attempt to clean up and remove old rust and pitted spots. I'm not sure whether it's really going to be worth trying to save it.
Old 03-03-2005, 08:07 AM   #7
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougjamie
Mind if I ask what kind of range you put in to replace the old one? I have a few of the parts from my Magic Chef on a newspaper on the kitchen floor right now in an attempt to clean up and remove old rust and pitted spots. I'm not sure whether it's really going to be worth trying to save it.
I paid $225 for a new Magic Chef 16" range. It slid right in. No problems! I love it! It is black and not stainless but it still looks good. I can take some pictures when I get home tonight and try to post them, if the forum will let me.
To me, it wasn't worth the hassle of repairing the old one. If I had a parts stove it would have been easier. That is hwy I am offering my stove as a "parts stove".
There are two places that you can get the stove cheap. One is Bontragers at www.bontragersurplus.com or call them at: 1-866-483-7017. What they carry are "scratch and dent" or obsolete new models. It was a fair price but I was not impressed with the water pump I got from them. If you call them, tell Amber I said "Hi". The other source is posted in one of my other threads. Search for threads started by me. You will find it. Let me know if you need anymore help.
Old 03-03-2005, 08:24 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
NW of Boston , Massachusetts
It's good to hear that the new one slid right into place. I think mine is larger than yours, around 20-22" but maybe the larger model also fits a standard opening. Did you have any problems connecting the gas to the new one?
Doug & Jamie, AIR #650
Old 03-03-2005, 03:31 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

Wink A Better Way maybe

This will probably be read wrong, but I do not think it is a "good" idea or practice to offer parts for free here on the forums.

Here is why. The first (fortunate) reader of a free offer may just post back and if wise follow with a Private Message that he or she will gladly take it all. Whether they really need it all or not. and in some cases just so they may re-SELL it on e-Bay or some such place.

I think it would be much more "fair" for the Benevolent Gift Giver to auction it here. you could announce that you would entertain offers and reasons for say 10 days and then you would decide to whom to send it. You could donate the receipt to charity of your choice if so inclined, or go out for a steak dinner.

All "bids" and reasons to be posted in the "auction" thread.And the giver can choose any criteria they want to decide who the lucky recipient becomes (maybe just draw number out of hat).

Now for the record let me state that I have no need nor desire for your Magic Chef parts at this time.
And I applaud your generosity but think there is a better way.
Would love to hear what others think of my thoughts.

Your friend
Flicka
Old 03-03-2005, 08:28 PM   #10
Old Paint, rolling again.

1973 Argosy 20
Lorain County , Ohio
parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HitnMiss
-I applaud your generosity but think there is a better way.
Would love to hear what others think of my thoughts...
I didn't list my recent parts for free on the classifieds for just that reason. I listed them cheap though, hoping that they would go to someone who needed them and wouldn't just resell them. Luckily I was right and Lou bought them.

The classified "wanted ads" would be of good use in these situations. There are always people looking for stuff. For example I have had a request for stove parts listed for a few weeks now, and would have been willing to pay a modest price for them.

I've listed parts on Ebay and in the forum classifieds and certainly wouldn't blame anyone for trying to get a fair price or the best price for their parts. Yet it's also nice to benefit members too.

Steve
Have you never questioned those who travel? Have you paid no regard to their accounts- Job 21:29
Old 03-03-2005, 08:55 PM   #11
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougjamie
It's good to hear that the new one slid right into place. I think mine is larger than yours, around 20-22" but maybe the larger model also fits a standard opening. Did you have any problems connecting the gas to the new one?
No problems hooking the gas up.
That will depend upon how old your trailer is though.
If you go back to the mid-60's the gas lines will not line up. My new stove is virtually unchanged from the old one. It does have sturdier hardware but the engineering has not changed on it.
Old 03-03-2005, 09:03 PM   #12
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by HitnMiss
This will probably be read wrong, but I do not think it is a "good" idea or practice to offer parts for free here on the forums.

Here is why. The first (fortunate) reader of a free offer may just post back and if wise follow with a Private Message that he or she will gladly take it all. Whether they really need it all or not. and in some cases just so they may re-SELL it on e-Bay or some such place.

I think it would be much more "fair" for the Benevolent Gift Giver to auction it here. you could announce that you would entertain offers and reasons for say 10 days and then you would decide to whom to send it. You could donate the receipt to charity of your choice if so inclined, or go out for a steak dinner.

All "bids" and reasons to be posted in the "auction" thread.And the giver can choose any criteria they want to decide who the lucky recipient becomes (maybe just draw number out of hat).

Now for the record let me state that I have no need nor desire for your Magic Chef parts at this time.
And I applaud your generosity but think there is a better way.
Would love to hear what others think of my thoughts.

Your friend
Flicka
Flicka,
Thanks for the idea.
I would hope that everyone on here is as close to an enthusiaist as one can be.
If they are not then it is on their conscience and not mine.
I have also found that there is really no good reason for me to try to sell these pieces.
I understand your reasoning. I would even agree with it in some instances. I have had to good fortune of benefitting from other forum members good fortune.
I tend to think that if we were all well off we would be trotting up to the Airstream dealer and plunking down a good chunk of change on a new one. Not all of us, but I am sure most of us.
I would not be able to "buy" the parts that I have gotten from forum members at eBay prices. I have found out that if you want to make a fortune put it on eBay and just put the two famous words, "vintage Airstream" on it.
I am being given almost an entire bathroom from one of the members on here. If it weren't for her then I would be hosed.
I have no problem with someone taking my parts and making a profit on them. Most of us on here are just plain folks.
Thanks for your concern and God bless you for thinking of me.
Old 03-03-2005, 09:06 PM   #13
Rivet Master

Exclamation It is a shame it isn't a Minuet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfixx
I didn't list my recent parts for free on the classifieds for just that reason. I listed them cheap though, hoping that they would go to someone who needed them and wouldn't just resell them. Luckily I was right and Lou bought them.

The classified "wanted ads" would be of good use in these situations. There are always people looking for stuff. For example I have had a request for stove parts listed for a few weeks now, and would have been willing to pay a modest price for them.

I've listed parts on Ebay and in the forum classifieds and certainly wouldn't blame anyone for trying to get a fair price or the best price for their parts. Yet it's also nice to benefit members too.

Steve
Steve and I are buds now!
He can have whatever I throw out!
It is a shame that his isn't a Minuet though!