Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Marketplace > For Sale & Wanted > Parts Archive
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-06-2003, 09:06 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Question Battery Quick Disconnect

Good Day. This is my first time on the forum. Please be gentle.

My battery side cable quick disconnect has corroded. My local RV guy laughed out loud when I asked for a replacement. He is suggesting I pull new cable from the fuse box to both battery boxes and put new ends on. REALLY????. Has anyone had to do this? Am I able to get a new quick disconnect cable? If so, where?

Thank you.

Sean
Old 09-06-2003, 10:18 AM   #2
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
Sean,

The quick disonnects that came with the trailer are no longer made.
So you have 3 options.
Salvage yard, search for colaws on the forum.
Direct wire like the service guy said.
Newer type of quick disconnect like used in a stock car Click here to see what I mean.

Good luck, and welcome to the forum!
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

Old 09-06-2003, 11:11 AM   #3
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
snow plow

sean

i see by your sig. that you are in the great white north.

stop by a place that sells snowplows, they should have just what you are looking for.

newer plow setups are quick disconnect, the plug for the cables look just like what brett posted.

-or-

find a business that services electric fork lifts, they use the same plug also.

either way, it should be less expensive than purchasing one from a race car place.

john
Old 09-07-2003, 08:24 AM   #4
1 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
North Vancouver , British Columbia
John and Brett.

Great stuff. I phoned a fork lift vendor yesterday afternoon and he told me he had the parts. I'll pick them up next week and put it together. I'll post an update the.

Thanks you.

Sean
Old 09-16-2003, 10:07 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
Sean,
I was missing the quick disconnect for the curbside battery box of my '77 Excella 500. I surfed the internet for electrical disconnects and found wire, disconnects, battery post connectors and rubber covers for the connectors. The company was Baker Electrical (I think in CA) but I would have to check my "Airstream file". I had to replace the wires through the battery box to the fuse box just on the other side of the front of the trailer so it took at least 10 feet of red and black heavy gauge wire. It has worked out great with no problems. I've seen the same connector mentioned by a previous poster used in stock cars also.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system